July 3, 2012

A Few of Our Favorite Things

After almost fourteen years of marriage and four kids, I’ve learned that it’s often the little things that make a marriage. I’ve also learned that over time people change. Often it’s for the good. I am much more in love with the man my husband has grown and matured to be than the 20-year-old I married. Those sometimes subtle changes over time can often go unnoticed, and that’s why my husband and I started doing a yearly ‘Favorite Things Questionnaire.’ It’s our way of acknowledging that life changes so much and so fast. We want to continually work at getting to know each other better, keep up with the person they’ve become, and be aware of what they like, want, and need.

We both like to get small gifts for each other whenever we’re out and about, a little item from our spouse’s favorite things list. It might be a certain candy bar or a certain magazine, but whatever the item is, it ends up being a token of our love, a reminder that we were thinking of the other one while we were away. The “Favorite Things Questionnaire” is a survey of sorts that acts as a cheat sheet when we’re looking for ideas for those special ‘just because’ gifts. Often as time goes on and you change, your favorite things change, too. I can attest to the fact that my husband has had a different favorite drink (soda, tea, energy drink, etc.) every year for the past several years!

“Our Favorite Things Questionnaire” is several pages long and has evolved to where it now includes several discussion starter questions as well. For instance, we might ask where the other one would like to spend vacation next year or what is their biggest pet peeve. Some of the questions are silly, some of them are serious, but they all make for a great conversation! Once a year (sometimes more frequently), we sit down together over dinner and each fill out the same questionnaire. Then we exchange them, and talk about it. What items surprised us? What answers made us laugh? Which questions were difficult to answer, and why?

I usually keep my husband’s finished question sheet in my purse, hence the ‘cheat sheet’. This way, while I’m at the store and I think of him, I’ll pull out the sheet and remind myself what his new favorite drink is. I might even read a few of the discussion questions and glean some inspiration for another gift idea. Use this free Favorite Things Questionnaire printable to find out your husband’s favorite things! It’s a shorter version of our longer questionnaire (so it’s quick and easy), and there’s two so each of you can fill one out. It’ll only take a second, and it’s so much fun! Sometimes, when we’re talking about our most recent question sheets, I feel like I’m getting to know my husband all over again!

So next time you’re at the grocery, or out running errands, grab your husband a little pick-me-up gift, one of his favorite things that will let him know you missed him while he was gone at work today! Also, check out Corie’s “Favorite Things” post and snag even more ideas on how to surprise your husband with his favorite goodies!

Want a bonus freebie?!

Favorite-Things-&-Love-Quest-Survey

Print out this free printable Love Quest Survey, and fill out the longer version of the “Favorite Things Questionnaire” with your husband (we’ve nicknamed it Love Quest). This is a more general version of the one my husband and I fill out each year, and should work for any couple! Don’t forget to print one for each of you!

22 Responses to “A Few of Our Favorite Things”

1. Renee says:

What a great idea! I love it and will be doing this with my husband on our next date!

2. Jim McKay says:

What a great idea!!!

3. Stephanie Stephanie says:

My husbands favorites are always changing, so this could be way helpful!

4. Ashley says:

I really really love this idea! I can’t wait to make a date night out of this! I love this idea of making a family version too and going through it with the kids every year. Thank you for sharing

5. Kristie says:

What a fun idea! I’ll have to start doing this with my husband too :-)

6. Whitney says:

Thank you for posting this idea. My husband and I will be doing this every year on our anniversary! It is a GREAT idea!

7. Ellen-TCMom says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE This printing it out right now!

8. Monick Halm says:

This is great, but I had trouble accessing the favorite things questionnaire. Can you help me with the link?

• Angie Angie says:

Hi Monick! If you click on the link to the questionnaire, it will take you to another page where you’ll see the words “Favorite-Things-Questionnaire”. Just click on those words and a window will pop up that asks if you would like to open or save the file. Hope that helps! If you are still having trouble, just let us know. :)

9. kailani says:

Love that questionnaire! I may have to do one with my hubby, too!

10. Naitore says:

Love this! Can’t wait to incorporate in our date night tonight :)

11. J says:

I am having trouble accessing the favorite things questionnaire and the love quest survey. I can print the favorite things. Can you help me with the link?

• Angie Angie says:

If you click on the link to the questionnaire or love quest survey, it will take you to another page where you’ll see the words “Favorite-Things-Questionnaire”. Just click on those words and a window will pop up that asks if you would like to open or save the file. Hope that helps! If you are still having trouble, just let us know. :)

12. Michelle Michelle says:

This is a keeper! Our anniversary is this week and we are soo doing this! Love the idea of asking more than general questions…Maybe you can give me a few ideas by telling me some (or all! lol) of your longer version questions??? I’m seriously putting this together asap!!! xox <3

13. Felicia says:

I love this! What a fantastic idea!

14. Becca Becca says:

SO doing this! Thanks for the printables!!!

15. Joanna says:

the other night i was looking for something to do, so we went geocaching and it ended at a beach, i printed this of and after the geocaching search we sat down and filled this out, so much fun, i packed drinks and a snack = free. i also made the 10 dates for $20 and gave that to him. thanks for the great ideas:)

16. Candice Candice says:

Wonderful idea! So fun and easy!

17. Gretchen says:

Wow, this site is full of great ideas! Thanks so much!

18. karen says:

everytime i try to to click on the link so i can print it its says internet explorer has stopped working. I have tried it several time throughout the day, any suggestions?

1. [...] helps others keep their marriages strong! Anyway, swing on over when you get a chance and check out my Favorite Things post, leave me some comment love if you have time (it would make me feel less nervous – lol), and [...]