December 5, 2011

Coupon Date Night

kristen-coupondate - Pinterest Pic

With Christmas approaching my husband and I are trying to save every penny we can for all the expenses that the holidays bring.  Even though money is tight, that is no excuse to not have a weekly date night!  In an effort to keep things cheap, AND still be able to get out of the house and away from the kids, I came up with a coupon date night.  The idea is, you can only use coupons for the events of the evening.

You know the “junk” mail you get every week in your mailbox, the stack that you always just throw out before even looking at it???  Well that “junk” saved us $$$ on our date this weekend.  I created 3 coupon envelopes which read; “Fantastic Finds”, “Affordable Appetites”, and “Cheap Cravings”.  A week leading up to our date night I started clipping every coupon I could find and putting it into the related envelope for that weekend.  I also know the Entertainment Coupons Book would work perfect for clipping coupons and saving you a bundle on your future date nights so add those to your envelopes!

To make your own envelopes use these free Labels for Coupon Envelopes, that I created.

At the start of our date I let my husband know what we were doing and I handed him the first envelope titled “Affordable Appetites”.  He chose 1 coupon out of the envelope that would be what we had for dinner.  We went to Subway and got 2 sandwiches, 2 drinks, and 2 chips. Price =$9

After dinner my husband received the second envelope, “Fantastic Finds”. For our activity he chose to use free tanning coupons. Price = $0

And from our “Cheap Cravings” envelope we shared a dessert from Cold Stone. Price =$4

Total price for date night on the town = $13

Can you do better than that?!? I would love to hear your ideas and where you find your great coupons.  Leave a comment sharing your secrets.

Now that I already made coupon envelopes, all we have to do is continue to add to them so for the future we will always have coupons for when we want to go out and don’t need to pay full price for another date night again!

20 Responses to “Coupon Date Night”

1. Stephanie says:

I love coupon dates!!! I seem to be constantly collecting them thru Groupon, following moneysavingmom.com and seeing good deals to save for a date!

2. Erika Erika says:

Love this, Kristen! Seriously, so awesome.

3. Ginny says:

Love this idea, great idea for use year round too.

4. Wendy Wendy says:

Cute date Kris! Such a good time of the year to put that into effect too! Thanks!

5. I ALWAYS just throw those away! I will definitely start looking at them closer from now on and keeping this in mind! Thanks for an awesome and easy date night idea!

6. Chandra Salisbury says:

I LOVE this idea. Can’t wait for the mail to get here this week. Our coupons also come in a newspaper flyer that lists different activities for week that are available in area. Some are even free. I think I’ll add those in the mix too. One was even talked about yesterday on fox 13 in Utah it’s at the west valley cultural arts center and goes from 9-6 m-f so would need to be a day date, if possible for someone but it is free. They have different displays and samPles of food from different cultures on how they celebrate Christmas. I think we’re going to do this one for sure. What fun to learn about different cultures and you can’t beat free!!

7. I love that not only are you saving money, but that the date is full of surprises throughout the night! Great idea!

8. Kari says:

Kristen…this turned out even better than I could have imagined it!! You always rock some awesome date ideas and this is no exception. I LOVE me some coupons and turning it into date night makes it just…magical :)

9. Holly says:

cute idea!

This is SUCH a fabulous idea!! Seriously LOVIN’ it! :)

11. Kristen Kristen says:

Thanks so much everyone! We use our envelopes on a regular basis now!

12. Barbara says:

very cute idea! Gonna try it soon!

13. Corie Corie says:

I love this date idea! I love that you can have a night out on the town while not breaking the bank! Good thinking!!

14. Katie says:

I love this idea… now if only I can get my husband to not think he is being “cheap” when using coupons. :-/ Maybe if I suggest to him that we put the money we saved aside into a vacation fund he just might. ;-)

1. [...] that I am, I enjoyed the Dating Diva’s idea of a Coupon Date Night. It’s good to have time alone with our spouse, so why not save money doing [...]