February 20, 2012

Family History Date

Maybe you know all about your family tree. But do you know about the one you married into? This is a great opportunity to find out more about one another’s.

Your Invite:

I printed put the invite and on the back wrote:

I know about you,

And you know about me,

But what about our family tree?

I have been really interested in family history recently. And while we both have dabbled in it, that was many moons ago and much has changed. We are lucky enough to have a baby-sitting trade set up and an LDS Family History Center near but if you aren’t able to get a sitter etc, this one date can be done from the comfort of your own home.  (I know, I look out for y’all)

First off we printed some family tree sheets.  Here is the one we used.

Then we grabbed our chairs and pens and went to www.familysearch.org

Now, let me pause and take a moment to assure you that this is not scary at all. And let me also assure you that even if you are certain that everything is done, it was still really fun to see all the names on the charts and ask about them. There were many people in my family tree that I did not know existed so you can imagine what it was like looking at my husbands!

We told stories about ancestors and even got into some good childhood memories.

After we finished we wanted to be able to share some of these memories with our kids so we headed over to shutterfly.com and made up a picture book.

And there y’all have it. A quick and easy way to check out who has made you who you are today!

Luvs, Makana

9 Responses to “Family History Date”

This is a great date, Makana! My dad is SO into researching our Family History and I think it would be neat to get to know my hubby’s background as well since my family is pretty much taken care of! :)

2. Pilar Roy says:

When I do this one, I’m going to add a US map! We will each trace our families migration on the map seeing if our families intersected in the past or came near :) Then if we have old pictures we can print small versions out to stick on the map at their place of origin… once it is embellished we can hang it in our bedroom! Thanks for the idea!!!! <3 <3 <3

• Guest Blogger Guest Blogger says:

Pilar Roy: Oh! I love that idea! I think I will have to go back and do that too.

• Pilar Roy says:

Can’t wait to do this one! We have a free genealogy library in town. He has lots of overtime this month so it will have to wait… but it’s going to be so fun when we do.

3. kimberlee says:

This is soooo cool! Great idea! We received discs from my husband’s side of the family of some of his ancestry, but have never bothered to look into it. I do remember hearing about the Danish blood and was surprised about that! I loved that show where celebrities got to research their ancestry, forgot the name of it.

4. Jennifer says:

This is exactly the cute little invitation I’ve been looking for – for a family history “Search For Great Grandpa” date! Thanks so much!

5. Kari Kari says:

Wow, love this idea Makana! I too am a family history junkie. I got into a few years back and did a ton of work on my husband side of the family and my dad’s side of the family. There are so many interesting stories about our lineage and it made it so addicting! It was fun for both my husband and I to dig into our ancestory and discover the stories of those family members that came before us. Thanks for sharing!!

6. Heather says:

I have done a lot of family history research before and really enjoyed it. I signed up for a free account on ancestry.com, but can’t afford to join. They offer a free 2 week trial, I’ve often wanted to get everything I know in there and then sign up for the trial when I had some extra time to devote to finding new stuff. Funny how that time doesn’t materialize. Perhaps a date like this will give us the jump start we need to get there!

7. Michele says:

I love this idea and would love to do it with my husband since he loves family history so much. One question though, what exactly did you get printed in your book?