October 3, 2011

The Date Wheel

I’m like you; my husband’s schedule is busy and he’s often gone on the weekends, money is tight, and we have two little munchkins (one being a newborn.) With all of that going on, date night often ends up being at home after the kids are in bed. So why not have date night on Wednesday? Wonderful Wednesday! No rule that Date Night has to be on the weekend. ;)

So the kids are in bed and you don’t want to stay up TOO late with work the next day, so what should we do for date night? The DATE WHEEL! I put together a Date Wheel that you just have to spin to pick what you are going to do.

You just print, cut it out, and stick on the date options and you are ready to go! The options are interchangeable (stick them on with Velcro or tape or magnets) so you can change them out depending on your mood or availability. I even left a few blank so you could  create your own ideas to use as well!

Oh and a word to the wise, I laminated mine. This way I can reuse again and again without printing a new one. I can also use a vis vis or dry erase marker to write on the blank option cards. {If you don’t have a Laminator and you do a lot of crafting (or have kids) you NEED one. This was my Christmas present last year and it has been awesome! I use it all the time. I promise you will too. I recommend this one.}

Thanks to the fabulous Aileen, of Lil Buckaroo Designs, for creating this printable date wheel. You can DOWNLOAD for FREE the Date Wheel with instructions of how to put it together to use for your next date!

Sticking with the inexpensive and easy theme, I sent my husband a text earlier in the day informing him that date night was happening TONIGHT!

Once the kids were in bed, I pulled out the Date Wheel and explained to him how it worked. We added a few more of our own ideas and then I let him spin.

This was perfect for us because half our battle on date night is deciding what to do. Neither of us want to decide and we’ll usually just end up in front of the TV. But all of these ideas are EASY at home dates and don’t take any prep work. We had so much fun playing games and are looking forward to next week.

Sometimes the best dates are the simple and inexpensive ones. Wednesdays may be my new favorite night!

Tip Junkie handmade projects

One Artsy Mama

Wayward Weekend

Lil Luna and DIY Dreamer

18 Responses to “The Date Wheel”

1. Kristen kristen says:

Great Idea Erika!! Thanks for sharing! That date wheel is so stinkin cute!

This is SUCH a cute idea! I absolutely LOVE it! :) Turned out awesome!!

3. Rachael says:

I LOVE IT! I am so doing this. It is hard to decide what to do, and I never want it to take super long b/c I don’t want to be tired – I have a baby that’s almost 3 months old, so sleep is very important to me right now. Thanks!

• Erika Erika says:

Rachael, I’m RIGHT there with you! My baby turned 4 months old today and there is NEVER enough sleep…I also have a 2-year-old…so we love quick and easy dates! Good luck with the new baby, it goes so fast.

4. Stacey says:

This is such a cute idea! I love it! But I have a question – what is NYOM? Am I the only one that doesn’t know what that means? Thanks for all the great ideas! I love this site!

5. Corie corie says:

Erika! This turned out awesome! I love the idea and how easy it is to put together. Another great idea! Great job! Corie

6. Elena says:

Super cute idea! I love it! I’m going to do it this week!

7. I LOVE this!! With 3 kids under 5, date nights out are hard to come by, and I don’t always have the time or budget to pull off a grand scheme. This is perfect when my mommy brain is mush! I featured this in my latest marriage/date night post. I think it’s such a terrific idea, and I really appreciate the free printable!
    Thanks!!

8. Amanda says:

Thank you sooo much! Have a two year old and a four month old, so this is a necessity!

9. Marliese Ransom says:

Erika, just found this site. You and Justin are too cute! And now I see that you’re totally famous, as well. :) Thanks for the inspiration.

10. Shelly C. says:

I just discovered your site this year and I love all of the wonderful ideas! Thank you so much for all of your great work AND for sharing it :o)

I was wondering it if would be possible to get a copy of the date idea sheet with empty labels? I think that many of the date ideas I would love to do would only be choices of my hubby if it were left up to chance. I know that I could just make some, but the OCD in me would like all of the labels to match. Thanks!!

11. Brooke says:

I just stumbled onto your blog by way of Making the World Cuter. I needed this post! We just had our third ten weeks ago and our date nights have definitely fallen by the wayside. I love this idea not only of doing it during a week night but the wheel! Thank you–I really needed this! I’m completely inspired! :)

• Erika Erika says:

Thank you Brooke for the nice comment! I’m so glad it works for you. I came up with it just weeks after my second was born, so I totally feel for you! Best of luck.

12. I always use packing tape and just fold it over the front & back if I am “laminating” something small like an index card or something. I am broke, so I work with what I got! ;)

Great post!

1. [...] must admit some of their blog posts make me feel incredibly uncreative.  Erika’s “Date Wheel,” are you kidding me?  How creative was that?  I love the thought that went into [...]