I think one of the first movie’s I remember seeing about L O V E was the movie, The Princess Bride. I could watch this movie over and over again. It has every element I love in a good movie…. romance, action and an interesting story. So for a date night at home, we are here with a few ideas to help make this movie experience extraordinary! This movie is an oldie, but it is still a goody!
A quick summary about the movie from IMDB…
A kindly grandfather sits down with his ill grandson and reads him a story. The story is one that has been passed down from father to son for generations. As the grandfather reads the story, the action comes alive. The story is a classic tale of love and adventure as the beautiful Buttercup, engaged to the odious Prince Humperdinck, is kidnapped and held against her will in order to start a war. It is up to Westley (her childhood beau, now returned as the Dread Pirate Roberts) to save her. On the way he meets a thief and his hired helpers, an accomplished swordsman and a huge, super strong giant, both of whom become Westley’s companions in his quest.
Start your date night by leaving an invitation with leather gloves stating,
“Tonight we will be in search for the six fingered man!”
The Royal Food
1. You can buy KING-sized candy bars! The Princess is named Buttercup, so be sure to have some Reese’s Peanut Buttercups!
2. Serve drinks in glass goblets…you can find fancy ones at any dollar store.
3. You can serve little sandwiches and drink in tea cups.
4. Enjoy medieval chicken legs. Just like kings and queens would have eaten! Grab some to grill or hit your local KFC if you’re short on time.
5. Have a royal feast featuring your favorite foods!
The Royal Celebration
1. Throughout the movie, the main hero tells the princess, “As you wish…” Grant a wish for both you and your spouse for the night.
2. Enjoy chocolate covered macadamia nuts or chocolate covered raisins for a treat to mimic the ‘magic pill’ that brings him back to life.
3. Take some drinks and douse them with a special ingredient to see if your spouse can figure out if one, or both of the drinks have something added to it. (This is from when Wesley tricks the short guy into drinking the poisoned cup but both have poison in them.)
4. Print off a list of famous lines from the movie here. Read through the list before the movie and see if you or your spouse can listen for each quote throughout the movie.
There you have it! A simple date night at home with a little more than just a movie.