May 28, 2015

The Hint Box

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to read your spouse’s mind? Or have you wished that they could read yours??

Problem solved!

Hint Box

This is a simple and adorable craft that the ever talented Kiki from Kiki & Company helped us design, with tons of inspiration from Diva Gabby. The Hint Box takes some of that guesswork out of your relationship.

Red Hint Box Finished

I mean… Let’s be honest. It is hard to shop for both men and women. In my case, my husband doesn’t really ever want or need anything (so he says). And well, I’m the exact opposite… I want very specific things. Ha ha!

In order to find the perfect gift for him, I have to beg and plead for him to give me a clue, hint, something! so that I can find a useful and exciting gift for him.

I also have to drop hint, after hint, after hint… so that he knows what I am really hoping for. This last Christmas I dropped so many hints and I still wasn’t sure if he was going to get me the pretty goldenrod customizable camera bag I was eyeing. It was an excellent deal and I really wanted it… so I ended up asking him if he thought I should just buy it. Which ended up ruining the surprise because he is very bad at lying and instead of coming up with a story about why I shouldn’t buy it, he told me he had already bought it. For me. For Christmas.

I guess he is starting to catch on. I’m truly lucky to have him!

Hint Box and Clue Cards

While I don’t think that the Hint Box should replace thoughtful gift giving, I do think that it can help couples communicate their wants, needs and desires, while still allowing for a little spontaneity in their marriage.

And in marriage, spontaneity can be pretty important! Just think of the Hint Box as a helpful tool to reading your spouse’s mind.

His and Hers Printables

The Hint Box is super easy to make!

All you need to do is grab the FREE printables from the bottom of this post, print them, cut them out and decorate your box!

How to make a Hint Box

How you decorate is up to you, however, we tested out a couple ways and found that using Mod Podge was a great way to get the decorative embellishments to stick well, with a professional look.

Mod Podge

We love all the embellishments that you can use to make your hint box unique!

Hint Box Embellishments

And you can even add your own embellishments, like ribbon, buttons or pictures, if you want to make it even more personal!

Red Hint Box

We’ve also included printable cards that will help you and your spouse get a great start on your hint box. This could even make for a great date night as you sit down and talk about how you want to use the hint box…

More Hint Box Cards

We came up with three different card categories.

Hint Cards

Now, you can easily fill out the cards and when you (or your spouse) are seeking a little inspiration for a date night, gift or another special surprise, you are already set up for success.

Cards for the Hint Box

Just take a peek at your spouse’s cards and you will instantly be guided in the right direction.

Hint for Spouse

We really hope that this special hint box will help you and your spouse grow closer together in your relationship as you learn what you really like and want!

Decorative Hint Box

Looking for some more great ideas that will strengthen your marriage? Be sure to check out Sarina’s post on How to Create Your Own Marriage Resolution. Julie’s post on 100 Reasons Why I Love You is also a great DIY gift that anyone would love!!

19 Responses to “The Hint Box ”

1. I love this idea ! It is cute and gets right to the point. I am a big believer that it is totally fine just to lay it all there what you want/need/expect etc. I am going to make my own box today! Thank you

2. Julie says:

Love this! Might have to make two of them one a Hint Box for the little things and another for what do you want for your birthday/anniversary/Christmas box. My husband says I am so hard to shop for because I don’t like flowers or jewelry or purses just about anything really girly so this would help a lot!

3. Rosie says:

Great idea! I told my husband about it and he came up with a variation–a “database” of things I like, divided into categories. This way I can give him help for gift ideas as well as little surprises, generic things (I always like flowers) or specific things I want, and also tell him things like what kind of candy I like. I love this idea because I can help him out, but still get surprises, because I won’t know which thing he’ll pick off the list, or what type of thing he’ll pick out from a category–there’s still room for thoughtfullness. He loves it because it will remove a lot of stress for him at holidays. I could hear the relief in his voice as we talked about it over the phone! Thank you for the idea!

4. Laura says:

My friend and I did this idea a few months ago and we call it the LOVE JAR. We put things in it for our husbands to do for us, and for us to do for them. I showed and explained it to him. Now, the only problem I have is getting my husband to actually look in the jar! How do you get him to remember to do this? If you have any tips, they would be appreciated.

• BeQui says:

Laura, try doing things specifically from the jar and maybe mention how glad you are that he put it in there. As you do nice things for him, he’ll want to do nice things for you and he’ll start thinking about the jar as a place to look for ideas.

5. Hannah Demke says:

I love this I am always wishing my husband could read my mind thank you thank you for this wonderful idea!!

6. Kayla says:

This is such a great idea….no more guessing!!!

7. BeQui says:

My husband and I have something similar, but not so fancy. It’s an Excel spreadsheet titled “gifts” and we add books or movies or treats as we want them. That way my husband doesn’t feel like he has to guess what I want for birthdays, and I don’t feel like I have to hand him a list. He tends to forget to update it, so I pester once in a while.

8. Ashley says:

Thank YOU for the wonderful idea. I love your website!!~

9. Sarah H says:

I love this idea. Unfortunately, my boyfriend didn’t think it was such a cool idea. I think I may do it anyway with price color coded hints.

Out of curiosity, does your husband still use your hints? Or would I be wasting my time making one if he isn’t interested?

• Corie Corie says:

@Sarah-My husband loved the hint box idea. I divided the ideas into sections depending on the cost. There’s a hint in our box for any and everything! It has worked out well for us!

10. Jennifer says:

Also a good Idea to make one for an upcoming Birthday/ Christmas and let them fill with hints of things might be dreaming of getting. things BIG & small.

11. Rachel says:

My husband and I are pharmacists and lots of our friends are, too. I can find the boxes at the Dollar Tree and spread the love this year! What a great idea! Thank you! Love!

12. Tessa says:

absolutely awesome. Just made ours tonight and planning to give it to the hubby after Friday’s date!

13. Heather says:

I love love love this idea…not only for my hubby and I, but the whole family. Planning making a hint mason jar for each one for their little and big wishes.

14. Angie Waldauer says:

I just want to give you ladies a heads up that the youtube videos on your pages are keeping the pages from scrolling correctly. I’ve tried 2 different browsers now (firefox and IE – both updated). I don’t know if it’s just me but it’s keeping me from being able to read the website. I try to scroll and it keeps jumping to the video on the page.

1. The Hint Box says:

[…] the idea of giving your man a little help…cute idea! « Juice Box Boats Copyright 2009 me. All […]