September 19, 2014
Family Fall Photo Ideas
Fall is here and it is time to start thinking about taking those family photos! Fall is such a beautiful time of year – the leaves are changing, the sunsets are gorgeous, and the lighting is perfect for photographers! If you are thinking of getting your family photos or engagements done during the fall season – look no further for inspiration! We have 50 ideas for you and your family to look great in your next fall photography session!
Getting the perfect photo includes a variety of elements. You have the season picked out now consider these ideas for locations, poses, props and clothing! In this post we have picked out amazing photos from some of the BEST photographers out there! You will find:
- 12 Location Ideas
- 5 Pose Ideas for Families
- 6 Pose Ideas for Couples
- 10 Prop Ideas
- 8 Ideas for What to Wear
- 9 Planning Tips and Tricks
Get your pinning fingers ready because these are some pinterest-worthy ideas! Let’s get started!
Fall Photography Locations
Where you choose to hold your photography session will make a BIG difference in the way that your photos turn out! The beautiful fall colors provided the perfect backdrop for any picture! Here are a few specific places to consider that will really make those fall colors pop and bring life to your family photos!
Fall Photo Pose Ideas for Families
Posing for photography can be really tricky – especially with a large crowd! While your photographer will be there for guidance, you will want to come prepared with a few key poses that you want for your family. Share these with your photographer and you will be sure to not miss that perfect shot!
Fall Photo Pose Ideas for Couples
When taking your family photos, don’t forget to snap a few shots of you and your spouse! Sometimes we get so involved in taking pictures of the kids we miss out on capturing the journey of our marriage too! AND those looking to take their engagement pictures this fall – we’ve got you covered! Here are our favorite couples pose ideas!
Fall Photography Prop Ideas
Some of the best photos lie in the details! Adding a small prop to your pictures can really make a picture pop and tell a story! Here are a few of our favorite ideas for props that go perfect with the fall season!
10 Ideas for What to Wear
Choosing what to wear for family photos can be a challenge! Selecting a color palette that works for everyone and looks good takes some thought and effort! Here are a few coordinating choices that will look fabulous with fall colors as your backdrop!
*** These are just a TASTE of the many combinations! The key is a color palette and variations within that palette. One of our favorite photographers, Micah Folsom, has a GREAT post with fall-inspired color combinations.
9 Planning Tips and Tricks
When your final photography session arrives, you will want everything to go just right! From planning to printing – here are a few ideas for helping everything to run smoothly!
1. Get Organized! Keep yourself ahead of the game with this easy-to-use organizer created by Leah Aldous. This free printable has a place for you to organize your clothing choices, brainstorm your pose & location ideas, gather your photographer information, plan your budget and more! All of your information is in one place!
2. Choose Your Photographer Wisely! - You don’t have to select the most expensive photographer in town, but remember that you are investing in life time memories. Sometimes “you get what you pay for” isn’t a beneficial thing. Investing in a professional photographer who may charge a little more can be well worth it!
3. Schedule Ahead - The most talented and sought-after photographers will fill up quickly (especially during the fall season!) so schedule in advance! If you have a large extended family included in the photo shoot, make sure to verify with everyone that they will be able to attend. You will want every member of the family to be there!
4. Plan - Look through the post above and have a clear idea of any specifics you want for your photos. Is there a certain location, pose or prop you want to include? Use your organizer to write these down and communicate these with your photographer.
5. Working with Kids - Getting the kids prepped for the big day is key to a stress-free photography session. Let them be involved in planning outfits and props so they can be invested and excited. During the photography session, you might want to bring along a helper to stand behind the photographer and get the attention from the little ones. Finally, bringing snacks and supplies is a must with kids!
6. Lookin’ Good - We all want to look our very best in a family photo, so do a little research on how to look the most flattering in pictures! There are some secrets out there that can really make a big difference! Here is one of my favorite posts on looking good in photos from our friend Cara at Maskcara.
7. Timing is Everything - Did you know that there is a certain time that is better than any other for taking amazing pictures? There is a time that photographers call “The Golden Hour” – it is the time right before the sun is going to set. The lighting is just right. As you plan a time with your photographer, make sure you request the golden hour. You will get amazing colors and lighting. You just can’t go wrong!
8. Go with the Flow - Don’t plan so much that you can’t be flexible when needed. Some of the best pictures are captured in the moment. Remember that you are capturing memories and it doesn’t matter if everyone is in the right spot with a picture perfect smile. You want to capture your real family – how they are! Trust your photographer and follow their lead. They are the professional and will lead you to great pictures!
9. Order Prints - This may seem obvious, but many families get those amazing pictures taken only to have them sit on a digital screen. Have a plan for where and when you are going to print your photos. Choose a place on your wall for the new family picture to go. If you are planning to do a collage or any sort, discuss with your photographer. They will likely have input for which style of pictures would look well together.
There you have it! Ideas GALORE for your next fall photography session! You can’t go wrong with a beautiful fall background and with these additional ideas- you are bound to have a fantastic photography session!
Happy Picture Taking!
**We did our very best to find and link to the original sources of each photo, but if you see a photo that is not linked correctly, please let us know so we can fix it. We definitely want to give credit where credit is due. We are so grateful for these wonderfully talented photographers who capture love so beautifully!**
You Might Also Like These Related Articles
September 18, 2014
Leave secret love notes just for him in a newspaper or magazine using this adorable idea- it’s perfect for quick and easy romance!
September 17, 2014
We’ve taken the guess work out of birthday date planning! Let your spouse choose how they want to spend their birthday with this 35 page printable book.
September 16, 2014
Over 100 of the BEST pumpkin recipes on the web- everything from drinks to dips to desserts!
September 15, 2014
Go on a fun date night by going on 1 (or 4!) mall scavenger hunts – all planned for you! It is a date night that will definitely keep you moving!