June 7, 2012

Passport to Love!

Looking for an anniversary or birthday gift idea for the husband or boyfriend?  Already planning ahead to find the perfect, romantic Christmas present?  Or maybe you want to surprise him with a little extra love… {ahem}… just because!

Well, you are in luck!  Because today we are sharing…

The Perfect DIY Romantic Gift Idea!

Passport to Love-DIY Romantic Gift

And here’s the best part- it comes with FREE, gorgeous printables!

Yep, this gift idea is SO simple and easy to put together.  If you have a printer, scissors, glue, and pen- then you have everything you need!  We asked Courtney from All Things Bright and Beautiful to design these for us and we were seriously BLOWN AWAY with what she created.  Have you seen her work?  That girl has some serious talent.  Just wait until you see what she’s hooking you up with…

12 FUN Around the World Dates

It’s the perfect gift idea if you are low on money but high on love OR if you’ve been trying to get in the habit of having regular date night.

I came up with the idea when I was trying to think of an inexpensive, but meaningful gift for my husband.  I wished I could afford to just whisk him away for a relaxing, romantic getaway.  He loves to travel and we’ve often talked and dreamed about all of the places we want to go together someday.  Our bucket list of traveling destinations is definitely long.  However, with several little ones at home and student loans to pay- this is definitely not the season of our life for becoming world travelers.  So I came up with this instead.

Passport to Love Kit- a romantic DIY gift

Here’s How it Works:

The basic idea is that you’re going to be giving your honey a little “Passport to Love” kit.  He’ll use this kit to go on a different date with you every month for the whole year.  The idea is to “travel the world” together, visiting a different destination each month.  You can choose to actually go out and visit different cities, sites, or attractions near you, OR you can do what I did and bring the different destinations to the comfort of your own home.  (No babysitter?  No problem!)  With a little creativity, you can turn your living room or bedroom into another country and pretend like you’re going off on a spontaneous, whirlwind getaway.

In this Kit You’ll Include 5 Things:

1. A Card

(So he knows what this gift is all about.)

Free Printable Gift for Hubby

Here’s what the inside of my card looks like…

Gift Idea for Him

BUT you can totally customize and decorate YOURS however you’d like!  Courtney has included a whole page of embellishments to use on your card AND to dress up your gift packaging however you’d like.

Passport to Love- Free Printables

2.  A Travel Itinerary

(So he knows which nights to reserve for you!  Just print it out and fill in your departure date & destination for each month)

Fun Travel Itinerary for 12 At-Home Around the World Date Nights

3.  A Passport

(So he can travel the world with you, of course!)

Passport to Love- Fun Gift Idea for the Hubby

Print it out, glue the pages together, and customize the inside with your man’s pic and information.

Passport to Love- such a cute romantic gift idea

4.  Passport Stamps

(So you can record and remember all your travels!  Print them out and glue them inside his passport each month as you visit different destinations.)

Printable Passport Stamps to make your own Passport to Love Kit

And don’t worry- there are several generic stamps included, if you decide to “visit” a country that is not included.

Passport to Love- 12 fun around the world dates

5.  Airline Tickets

(Because that’s just fun!  You can totally customize it with your spouse’s name, your departure date, and your chosen destination.  You’ll want to print 12- one for each month.  Courtney has even included a printable pocket to keep the tickets in, so they look totally professional and legit.)

Printable Airline Tickets part of a Passport to Love Kit for the Hubby

Once you have everything printed out and filled in, just tie it together with the card and give it to your honey for a year of lovin’ and fun!   Then make sure you’re ready each month to whisk him away for a little at-home getaway.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD YOUR PASSPORT TO LOVE PRINTABLE PACK

Here are some destination date ideas for inspiration:

France

• Make an easy Parisian picnic with french bread, gourmet cheese, fruit, and sparkling cider.
  • Or how about Crepes in Paris?
  • Play some French cafe accordion  music (you can play music online for free)
  • Learn some French phrases, after all- it is the language of love.
  • Watch a movie about France or that takes place in France.  How about Les Miserables, French Kiss, or Forget  Paris
  • If you really want to go all out: speak in a French accent, wear a beret, do your hair in a French twist, or paint your nails with a French manicure- hee hee.

Spain

China

India

• Forget chairs.  Just throw some bright colored pillows on the floor.
  • Turn out the lights, add candles, and Indian music for ambiance.
  • Make Indian food or order out from a local Indian restaurant.  Forget the utensils, eat with your hands.
  • Bejewel each other with self-adhesive jewels, or get brave and apply Henna tattoos
  • Watch a Bollywood movie or learn some Bollywood dance moves from YouTube.
  • How about a magic carpet ride while you watch Aladdin?  (hee hee)  Or you can be his Genie and grant him 3 wishes.

Italy

• Make homemade pasta or pizza for your Italian Stallion.
  • Play some Italian music to set the mood (Andre Bocelli?) and speak in an Italian accent for fun.
  • Get out some art supplies and channel your inner Michelangelo.
  • For you “foreign film” how about: The Italian Job, Life is Beautiful, Under the Tuscan Sun, Roman Holiday, or Much       Ado About Nothing.
  • Enjoy some gelato.
  • If you really want to go all out- go for a gondola ride. (I’m thinking blow-up raft in the swimming pool -lol)

Caribbean

• Go on a Caribbean cruise! To make your room like a cruise ship, fold a towel on the bed to make a swan. (They totally have tutorials online)
  • Check your local dollar store for tropical decorations like tiki pictures, drink umbrellas, or grass skirts.
  • Get dressed in your bathing suit, cover-up, and sunglasses like you’re on a real cruise.
  • Play some island music.  Try Kokomo by the Beach Boys or Escape (The Pina Coloda Song) by Rupert Holmes.
  • Make an Island-themed dinner- like Hawaiian chicken with pina colodas or strawberry daiquiris.
  • Limbo!
  • Watch Pirates of the Caribbean.
  • You can even put blue food coloring and a beach ball in the bathtub.

Greece

• Toga Party anyone?
  • Cook some authentic Greek food.  How about moussaka and baklava (or keep it simple with pita pizzas)
  • Listen to Greek music and dance! (And if you really want to- break some old, glass dishes that you don’t care about.  Opa!  tee hee.)
  • Watch “My Big Fat Greek Wedding”

Jamaica

• Give your spouse a note- “Jamaican me crazy- yah mon!”  (Oooh- isn’t there a Jamaican me crazy Ben & Jerry’s ice cream??)
  • Cook some Jamaican food- jerk chicken or boiled banana anyone?
  • Turn into a Jamaican online radio station and listen to some reggae and calypso music.
  • Put on an island shirt and do some island dancing!
  • Play with hacki-sacks
  • Watch “Cool Runnings”

Russia

• Make some Russian food.  Try Borsch or Beef Stroganoff
  • Forget the vodka, take shots of rootbeer
  • Play Russian roulette with a cap gun.  Or dress as mobsters.  hee hee.
  • Listen to some Russian music online and try to dance the Preesyadka (the Russian knee-bending, kick dance)
  • Watch Anastasia or The Hunt for Red October
  • Watch the Russian Ballet or Opera on YouTube

Germany

(perfect for an October date)

• Host your own Oktoberfest for two- serve bratwurst with mustard and sauerkraut
  • Instead of beer and ale, serve mugs of rootbeer or ginger ale
  • For dessert, how about apple strudel?
  • Better yet- host your own Choctoberfest and serve German chocolate!!
  • Listen to German music on Pandora and watch a German movie.

Egypt

• Write each other notes in hieroglyphics- switch and decode
  • Create an archaeological dig site for your spouse using a sandbox and have them search for buried treasure (a love note or gift)
  • Play Egyptian music (and walk like an Egyptian.)  ;)
  • Make some Egyptian food:  Chicken kebabs, lamb, fried zucchini, hummus and pita bread, or baklava
  • Watch “The Mummy”
  • If you want to go all out- dress up like Cleopatra and Ra (God of the Sun)

Ireland

(perfect for a March date)

England

• Listen to some Beatles CDs
  • Turn your dining room into an English Pub with fish and chips
  • Or go more posh and host a fancy tea party
  • Speak in a British accent (Jolly Good!  Cheerio!)
  • Watch a supporting event from the UK
  • Play some croquet.
  • Watch a movie that takes place in England or one with English actors. Sherlock Holmes or a good BBC movie.

Africa

• Make an African dinner (Sosaties, plantains, coconut milk, mango drinks, etc.)
  • Gather all the plants in the house into one area to make an African jungle (Or just use your backyard and light tiki torches.)  If you want add animals- stuffed animals.
  • Play some African music in the background
  • Dress us like you’re ready for a safari (think khaki shorts, binoculars, etc.)
  • Make African drums or tribal masks together, or “decorate” each other with tribal face paint.
  • Watch Out of Africa, I Dreamed of Africa, To Walk With Lions, or even Madagascar.

And there you have it- an inexpensive, easy gift idea that turns into 12 fun dates!  You just can’t beat that!

For MORE romantic gift ideas, make sure to check out our “Gift Ideas for HIM” Pinterest Board.  It’s packed full of ideas and inspiration for his birthday, your anniversary, Christmas, Valentines, or… of course… JUST BECAUSE!

148 Responses to “Passport to Love! ”

1. LiLi says:

made this for my husband’s birthday next week. it was super easy and it looks awesome. Thank you so much for the idea, and for the links.

2. Rachel says:

Love Love Love This! I can’t wait to try it. Thanks for the great idea!

3. Rachel says:

I love this!!! I’m doing this idea! My husband just went to get a passport today for business. His job requires tons of travel! I can’t wait to call him n tell him he has TWO passports waiting at home for him!! ;)

• Cami Cami says:

@Rachel- How funny that you read this on the exact day your hubby went to get his real passport! I’m sure he’ll like traveling with your passport much better than his own :)!

4. Kate Smith says:

You guys are AWESOME! This is AMAZING! I am going to print and use right away!!!

5. Julie says:

I recently found your guys’ website through pinterest, and I love it! You guys have the cutest ideas. I love this passport idea, and the country-themed dates. I think I’m going to attempt a Brazil-themed date on Saturday for my husband, so we’ll see how that goes! (My husband lived in Brazil for 2 years so I thought that would be fun!)

6. Alicia says:

This is way too kool thank you rebecca for comming up with it and thank you dating divas for sharing :) so awesome printing and doing this right away :D

7. Jen U says:

I CAN.NOT. believe how adorable and inventive this date is!!! I am so thankful to you for sharing your idea(s) and all your hard work! I’m looking thru all your different countries…and I’m so ready to say “leavin’ on a jet plane; don’t know when I’ll be back again…” ;)

8. Kristin says:

Found your website via Pinterest this week & must say I’m in love. My husband & I just had our third babe (first girl) in May & will celebrate our 8th anniversary on Sept.3. Just finding your site has made me realize that we have totally fallen away from making time for us. With 3 kiddos & a crazy 4pm-2:30am work schedule for hubby, we’re getting a big fat F in us time! Your site has AMAZING ideas for cheap, even stay home, dates leaving us NO excuses to not squeeze in SOMETHING. We usually skimp on “us” to save money… THIS idea is a PERFECT way to introduce “date night” into our schedules cleverly and without breaking the bank (& it’s flexible if we don’t always have a babysitter! Genius)!!! Guess what the hubby is getting for pour Anniversary!!! ;)

Thanks for reminding me to step back from bring mommy and start putting a little effort into my marriage!! Can’t wait to include more of your fantastic ideas!! <3

• Cami Cami says:

Kristin- SO glad that you like the idea! Isn’t it great how versatile it allows you to be and LOVE that it’s also frugal! I totally understand how easy it is to forget about each other when you have kids around. I have 3 kids and am pregnant with my 4th – and I have already had ‘the talk’ with my hubby to gently remind me that he is just as important as the kids when the 4th comes around. I think I have the hardest time within the first couple of months after the baby is born because I get immersed with trying to figure out the new schedule. Enjoy reconnecting with your hubby. It’s lots of fun!

9. Megan Maiani says:

My boyfriend is more excited about this idea than me. I thought he was going to think it was corny and he said not just 12 but we gotta do 24 dates in a year I plan one a month and he plans one.

• Cami Cami says:

Oh Megan- I think that is a GREAT idea! You are SO lucky that your boyfriend is on board with this because there are plenty that aren’t! Have fun planning the dates!!!!

10. Megan says:

I am working on personalizing this for my boyfriend and I’s anniversary. I love traveling and this is such a cute idea! It’s so great that you can go out for these ideas or stay in and keep things low cost. I have some other country ideas too:
    -Japan: eat sushi or even make sushi (maybe sake too), make origami, drink green tea, watch Memoirs of a Geisha, 7 Samurais, or even Godzilla.
    -Mexico: make or go out for Mexican, drink Mexican beer or soda, buy a pinata, learn Spanish, watch Once Upon a Time in Mexico, learn the Mexican hat dance.
    -Australia and New Zealand: drink Australian beer and wine (yellow tail!), try vegemite, go to an aquarium (in honor of the great barrier reef), and for movies/TV there’s Lord of the Rings, Flight of the Conchords, Crocodile Dundee

I’m also planning on using Netflix! They have a lot of foreign films/TV and documentaries, including my favorite travel show Anthony Bourdain which is on watch instantly.

11. Liz says:

Thank you for such a fun and creative idea! Money is extremely tight right now and my husband’s birthday is in two weeks! We have said many times how much we want to travel, someday. This will be the perfect gift for him and quality/alone time for us after our 3 little kiddos go to bed!

12. Hi,
    I found your site a while back. My wife and I like it a lot. I used some of these ideas and a few of my own to make a card with lots of suprizes inside an envelope for her birthday. She loved it. We also want to plan the year of “trips” together. I have another idea to add that would be perfect for this I used for her card.

On this site below you can print money from all over the world except you upload you picture to put on it. So you can create special currency for your trip that only the two of you can use.

I recommend you save the pictures and print them out at a smaller size (50% to 75%) becaus they print rather large otherwise.

• Cami Cami says:

Wow Peter! What a creative husband you are. You got one lucky wife to have you to plan such a cute idea for her. The money link is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!

13. Jessica says:

I love this idea! I have already printed some of these out and plan on doing it with my husband next year, can’t wait!
    I think it would be a fun way to start our second year together as a married couple. :)

• Cami Cami says:

Jessica- I LOVE that you are so on top of it and already printed some of these! I think these ideas are a perfect way to celebrate year 2 together! Have fun!

14. Courtnay says:

My husband and I were married this past October 19th. I gave him this the night of our wedding, so we could celebrate each month anniversary through the first year of our marriage. We ‘traveled’ to France last night, as we celebrated one month of marriage! I love this idea! And we got a great meal out of it :) Thank you so much for the idea and the links to make this easy to put together.

• Cami Cami says:

Courtnay-wow, what a cute gift to give your new hubby and I am SO glad that you followed through with it. It sounds like it was a complete success! Have fun in the future.

15. Shelly says:

I love this idea so much, my boyfriend and I have’t done our OE yet so this is perfect. I can’t wait for the first date. We are from New Zealand so I put the USA in the itinerary which I think will be a lot of fun. I thought African food would be too difficult so I used Switzerland – fondue, swiss chocolate, the sound of music ( I know it’s Austrian but they escape to Switzerland). Thanks again :)

• Cami Cami says:

Shelly – I am so glad that you enjoyed this idea and I also LOVE that you put your own ‘twist’ to it. It’s great that you were able to add the USA to your list! Have fun traveling the world!!!!

16. Paula says:

Hi Cami:

I’m so stocked over this idea that I have over 2 years of dates planned already. We are lucky to live near a city that is culturally diverse and has a lot of festivals for the countries we will be travelling to without the expense of flying. Can’t wait to experience China in February for Chinese New Year, Marseille, France for a Borne Movie Marathon, New York City in May for the release of Ironman 3, Istanbul, Turkey in July for the Turkish Festival and Munich, Germany in September for Oktoberfest. I’ve also includes some of the places we will be travelling next year like Miami, FL for March Break, Ottawa, ON Canada for a Pow Wow, San Francisco, CA for vacation, Boston, MA for a weekend getaway and London, England for New Years Eve.

2014 we will fictitiously travel to Rio de Janeiro for Carnival in February, Dublin, Ireland in March for St. Patrick’s Day, Pretoria, South Africa to celebrate their Independence Day in April, Amsterdam, Netherlands for the Tulip Festival in May, Rome, Italy for the Italian Festival, Athens, Greece for Grekfest, and Jerusalem for Christmas just to name a few.

I found more places to turn into stickers at http://www.zazzle.com/ and really found Trip Advisor to be a great source to locate things to do. Since we live in Canada and I wasn’t able to find a passport that I liked with Canada on the front I scanned his passport and picture to make it seem real.

I will be giving it to my husband for Christmas this year. Can’t wait to experience the world with him!

THANK YOU Dating Divas!

17. Cami Cami says:

Holy hannah Paula!!!! You have gone WAY above and beyond with this one. I am SO excited (and little jealous) of the fun you will be having for the next 2 years! Enjoy! I am so glad this idea got your creative juices flowing!

18. Cortney says:

This has been my favorite date idea so far, I can’t wait to get started. I have posted a link to it on my blog, hope that is okay with you. I also created a free printable organizer to help organize date night plans, it’s included in this post:

Thanks for sharing all the great ideas!

19. Cami Cami says:

Cortney- I am SO glad that you enjoyed this idea. I LOVED it too! What you did on your blog is adorable. Thanks for your comments and sharing the link back to us! Have fun dating your spouse around the world!

20. Rees says:

wow! this is sooo creative

21. I LOVE this idea! I planned it all out and printed everything up. Last night, my hubs and I “went” to England! We went to a pub (it was technically an Irish pub) and got some Fish and Chips and Guinness beer. Then, we went home, put the kiddos to bed and watched Notting Hill. Later, I read him my journal from when he really took me to London for our 10th Anniversary, 12 years ago! What a sweet night. We had so much fun playing travel together. He was super impressed with all the planning I did, and has been really snuggly and sweet since then. Next month, we are “going” to India! Thanks for all these fab ideas! You are making my marriage fun again!

• Cami Cami says:

Oh Sarah- It sounds like your experience is EXACTLY what we hope people get out of our site! Your England travels sound like they were a blast! Good luck with India next month.

22. Lauren H says:

This is the most incredible idea!! WOW!!!

Cannot wait to get started!

23. Emily says:

My husband has 2 children, so when I married him, I knew that I would automatically have two kids. As a blended family, we really try to make sure we are all communicating well and having fun. This would be a great Family Date night idea! I think that I will make this a Christmas gift for all 4 of us this year!!! Thank you so much for sharing this great idea!!!

24. Michelle says:

When I saw this idea back in the summer I knew I was going to create this for my husband’s 40th birthday…and I’ve shared about it on my blog here: Around the World: A Year of Dates

Thank you for such a fab idea! We can’t wait to go on our dates!

25. Megan says:

When I saw this I fell in love instantly! My husband and I are always talking about traveling the world…I took this idea and ran with it making a mess as idea after idea added on. For pictures and a better and deeper explanation you could always stop by my blog: http://megananddax.blogspot.com/2013/02/valentines-day-passport-to-love.html . That will lead you directly to my adventure creating brochures for all the countries we are to visit and so much more! I LOVED learning about each country we are going to visit and I think all of this will make beautiful and treasured keepsakes.

THANKYOU!

I love your blog!

• Becca Becca says:

Megan- WOW!!! We LOVE it! Such an awesome idea to add brochures! He’s going to treasure that forever. Thanks so much for sharing- we love seeing our ideas in action!