September 14, 2012

A Game Of Love

While browsing Pinterest this past January, I found this idea and knew it was perfect for Valentine’s Day! AND I KNEW I had to have them share it with all of you. Seriously, this is the perfect and easiest gift for Valentine’s or Anniversary, etc. Check it out.
*      *      *      *      *      *      *      *      *      *
What are two DIY bloggers doing guest posting on a marriage blog?  Don’t you worry, no hammer and nails required for this project- just a little stealth and a whole lot of fun!
If we haven’t met before, let me officially say, “Hey! It’s super good to meet you!”  I’m Monica, and I blog with my BFF Jess over at East Coast Creative.  You might recognize our faces, but not our name, and maybe that’s because our blog used to be The Real Housewives of Bucks County (and maybe that still doesn’t help, but at least now we’ve officially met).

Jess and I blog about all things DIY, home decor, and toss plenty of real life in there too. Today I’m sharing a project that couldn’t get any more REAL for ya… and I might blush a time or two in the process, but I’m all for strengthening marriages and am so thankful that The Dating Divas invited us to share.  (Before we get started, I just need to mention something, Mom- if you’re reading this…please stop now!)
The BEST Surprise Ever…The Game of Love
Imagine with me for a moment… It’s been a long day, you and the hubs are headed to bed.  You’ve put on your favorite comfy, frumpy sweats and a tee for bed.  Once your hubs sees your bedtime wardrobe choice he knows there’s no shot of romance for the night.  He pulls back the covers to hop in bed and… what’s this??

You’ve just pulled off the best surprise ever (at least in your husband’s opinion).  It’s time to play The Game of Love! It’s a game your hubs will love even more than the Superbowl!
All you’ll need for this DIY is some time without your hubby around, some markers, some kind of shape template, and a fitted bed sheet…Seriously mom, if you’re reading- Stop!
Ok, you can kind of see where this is going, and I must make a public confession… yes, I used one of my bff’s birth announcement as my template! It was an adorable shape- Sorry Mandi!
I spent a lot of time ironing my sheet and then had an idea… I could have just washed and dried it.  That would be easier.

Pop on your still wrinkly  ironed sheet and you’re ready to start making your game board.
If you want nice, straight lines, you can use some masking tape and your template to help with your spacing.
It doesn’t have to be perfect (trust me he won’t be too focused on your straight lines!)
Start tracing your template.  Trace it over and over again.  Darn that I couldn’t really have a friend come and help me with this DIY… awkward :)
Before removing the masking tape, I added some cute little dashes along the top.

You can add your game’s title across the top.  Don’t you love my cheesy name?  The Game of Love… still makes me laugh! Feel free to use it or come up with a less cheesy one!
Now it’s time to get creative.  I included a few presents, snacks, wardrobe changes, and lots more!
Here are a few of my squares… (if you really want to know what else I added, you can try and read the teeny writing! Ha!) I had a few gifts wrapped and ready to go and  a few yummy romantic snacks as well.
Put your mattress back and it’s ready to go! (Okay, I have some limits, so I pulled a little censored for your protection action!)

In case you’re wondering, here are…
The Official “Game of Love” Rules
1. The player will roll a die, but the highest number can be 3 (so divide by 2 or the game goes too fast!)
2. Each square has a 1 1/2 minute time limit
3.  No getting carried away- you have to stop at 90 seconds and roll again (the hubs might fight you on that one)
4. Only one person “plays” your role is just the game “facilitator”
5.  The Final square is “Score” and you can’t skip ahead to that space (if ya know what I mean) make him wait.
Now a little back story on why I blogged about this… No, it’s not my life’s aspiration for my personal life to be all over Pinterest (don’t worry, I am cool with you pinning it though).  I just know that marriage is tough.  It takes effort each and every day.  I don’t know your situation, but I know that 4 kids takes a toll on the love life.  As a woman, I have to be intentional about connecting with my husband and making him a priority (FYI “connecting” is a code word! lol).  I wanted to encourage woman to have FUN with their husbands… it’s really okay- you’re married! I sometimes call this the “Perfect Gift” because for me, it meant so much to Eric that I took the time to think through this, plan out the surprise, and then have an unexpected evening dedicated just to us!
This kind of project isn’t really our norm, so here’s a little peek into what else you can find over at East Coast Creative.
(Click on the picture to see the full post)

We hope you’ll come visit our little piece of blog land sometime. And be sure to let us know if you pull off the Best.Surprise.Ever!  What do you think? Are you going to give it a try?
Thanks so much for having us Dating Divas! It was a complete honor to be here today!

Monica&jess

36 Responses to “A Game Of Love”

1. Stephanie says:

Oh I am so going to do this!!!! Thank you it reminds me of the game of chutes and ladders we play but o so much better and just what I need since I just had a baby a month ago and need to plan something special!!!!

2. Amberly says:

I did this before when I found it floating around Pinterest and it was a HUGE hit!!! :)

3. Dayana says:

I think i will do this for my husbands birthday coming up next month! I am excited already!
    I do have one question. Does the sharpie go through the fitted sheet?
    I just got a brand new mattress and I wouldn’t like to mess it up with permanent marker.
    Maybe I can use regular markers??? Does anyone know?
    Thanks for the awesome idea!

• Monica says:

Hi! I didn’t have any bleeding through, but to be safe, I’d just slip a piece of cardboard under the sheet while you work on it, and slide it around as you go. Have fun!

• Mary says:

You could also use fabric pens from the craft store. They aren’t as likely to bleed through!

LOVE this idea!! I am seriously going to do this for Valentine’s Day!! He will die… with happiness!!

5. What a cute idea!! And I have to admit I was tempted to squint really hard and try and read the censored spaces! LOL

6. Julie Julie says:

What a great idea…now I just need someone to send me a cute shaped birth announcement so I can get started!!

7. Melissa says:

Love this!!!! I can’t wait to create my own Love Game! We are going on away for a “just us” vacation in a few weeks, so this might just be the thing to pack to take with us!!!!! :)

8. totally LOVE this idea!!!! How fun! I’ve pinned it, and if I ever get the motivation to doodle on sheets, I’m doing it!!! In the meantime, I might find a way to make a “makeshift” version of this game!

9. Elanie says:

I am def going to try this with my husband he loves adventure.. Thanx a lot for this tip this is a great website

10. Audrey Grant says:

This just might be a Bridal Shower Gift for my Sister!! She would DIE!!

• Kayla Foucha says:

Such a great idea!!!! could you imagine someone getting this already wrapped and ready to go!!!! definitely would be a hit at the shower!!!!

11. Amanda Martin says:

I just ordered Mr. & Mrs. pillow case covers for our second anniversary “cotton” gift and this game would be a perfect addition to the “cotton” anniversary set! Thanks so much for the idea!

12. Candice Candice says:

What an adorable idea for an upcoming anniversary or Valentine’s Day!

13. Susanne says:

This is awesome!! I am going to make this game up and take it on our timeshare vacation in Jamaica in 2 weeks and surprise him. I love loving on my hubby and he is such a great guy to put up with me sometimes! I used to come up with things to surprise him before we had children, they are 10th and 12th grade now. One of my favorite ideas that I only did a few times involved candlelight, music, blindfolding him and feeding him different fruit, pickle, black olive, body part with whip cream (uh-humm). He never knew what was coming next, sweet, sour, creamy, etc…Mainly, because I haven’t had any good ideas!!! I am so glad I found this website!!! I will be using it often! Thanks dating divas!!

14. Rachel says:

My Husband’s 30th is tomorrow! I can’t wait to do this for Him. Thanks for the creative idea!

15. Christi says:

Love this idea, huuby’s b-day is the 7th so definitely going to do this. Instead of sheets though I am going to use poster boards (3), we just moved and our bed won’t be here until after his b-day. Thanks for this great idea!

16. Mina says:

Love this game!! Made one for my bf for our anniversary this past weekend and he LOVED it… he said it was the best present he’s ever gotten from me (and i’ve gotten him a ton of awesome presents over the years lol) but nothing this creative or fun =) After we played one round with me as the facilitator, he suggested we both play the next game, with the other person being the facilitator each time, so it’s like we were playing against eachother… but we both win in the end anyway! Thanks for the idea ladies!!

17. elizabeth says:

Made this for my DHs birthday and he loved it! we did the romantic rooftop date which is on this site and he wasnt expecting anything after that, so it was a good surprise. Just a couple tips that might help if you’re thinking about this 1. If you arent interested in ruining 1 of 2 nice sheets check out factory stores that sell slightly damaged sheets for much less. They might not be as good quality but lets face it, he’s not making a thread count check. 2. i wanted this game to be reusable so i made the boxes a little less specific, like instead of chocolate covered strawberries, which i dont always have on hand i just put yummy treat, which can even be some chocolate chip cookies or something if you decide to spontaneously play another day. 3. if you’re doing this game on a budget (who isnt) then your presents can be non store bought items such as a) washing the car with him next saturday b) giving him a super massage another day, etc. thanks for the fun and great idea!

18. Alysha says:

Love this idea! Is there any way to get list of all those ideas you have written in the squares?!

• Erika Erika says:

Great question! Monica and Jess did not provide one, but if you click on the link and enlarge the photos, you might be able to read them that way. Best of luck!

• Amy says:

So for those of us who are blind, and very uncreative when it comes to the bedroom can we get a list of the ideas?

19. Rachel says:

Did this for my hoobie and he loved it! I customized the squares to what I knew he would like :).
    I did not have extra sheets on hand nor did I want the game to be the same everytime, So I made little paper notecards and laid them out on the bed so they can be re-arranged or new ones can be made. We have a dice with only 1′s and 2′s on it which was perfect :).

Thanks so much for this idea!

20. Heather says:

Such a great idea! Can’t wait to try it.

21. Tamara says:

Just got mine made last night. Dh works overseas and we have not seen each other in 4 months. He is coming home for Christmas. I am planning on spoiling him big time while he is here. And this just got added to the list of things we will be doing while he is home. So excited.

22. Sheri says:

I’m curious, how did it wash? Did the marker bleed? Did it fade too much? I’m making this as I type. I drew a template on a piece of cardboard and cut it out. It made it easy to trace. My anniversary is in two days and I’m doing this after I’ve done a very wintery themed house with hanging snowflakes and fake snow everywhere. It’ll be magical and fun!! thank you for the idea!

23. Dude says:

Ok so I am a dude……..don’t freak out. I want to do this for my wife. Most of the squares can be made universal but was curious if there is a for the wife version. Want the squares work for her not just me. Thanks.

24. I just like the valuable information you supply to your articles.
    I will bookmark your blog and test once more here regularly.
    I’m moderately sure I will learn a lot of new stuff right right here! Best of luck for the next!

25. lissa says:

i love this idea for the game, i think i am going to do it on cute note cards to lay out on the bed (seems easier). Anyways I am having a hard time being creative on this one! Please help!!! can you tell me what you wrote on all yours?? I will customize it to my hubby, but i need more ideas to get my own creative juices flowing:) thanks!