September 15, 2011

“Bad Day” Box

Tara - Bad Day Box - Pinterest Pic

So you had a bad day?? Well, let’s get our theme song playing…..

Now that you are smiling cuz that song ROCKS….here is a solution for you! Why not create a “Bad Day” box for those rainy days?? I saw this idea on this blog…and fell in LOVE with the concept! I seem to have a lot more “bad days” than my husband….maybe because I am a sucha GIRL and crying always seems like the best thing to do at the time….and then the next best thing is to think of a solution! {lol}  Having a box on hand – filled with things your spouse LOVES….is the PERFECT idea!!  You are basically preparing for unexpected things that we all know can {and will} pop up in life.  Call it an “emergency preparedness kit for emotions”.  {WINK!}

My husband does OCCASIONALLY have bad things that pop up and get him down…..not very often….but I decided it would be a great idea to be prepared for the next time….

I literally made this in LESS than 15 minutes!!  Er….once I gathered the stuff, that is!  :)

I found these LOVELY boxes at Michael’s Arts & Crafts…for a buckaroo!  Can you believe it?  I think they normally sell for around $5…..but grab a 40% off coupon that Michael’s always gives out &  use that.  I LOVED that these boxes already had decorative designs on them.  I was preparing myself to mod podge cute paper on….but this saved me a lot of time, effort, & money!

Materials Needed:

Mod Podge

Foam Brush

White Cardstock

THESE Cute “Bad Day Box” Printables {Black Version}

…..OR……

THESE Cute “Bad Day Box” Printables {Brown Version}

You will also need…

THESE Cute “Love Note Card” Printables {Black Version}

…..OR……

THESE Cute “Love Note Card” Printables {Brown Version}

….and don’t forget to purchase or make a BUNCH of FUN items to place inside that your spouse will LOVE!

Once you print out these printables…..

….cut out the fun sign & Mod Podge it on the front of the box.

You can also cut out the little tag to place inside the label holder.

Next…..cut out apart the love notes, write on each one, roll them up, and tie them with a pretty ribbon!

Last of all, place the love notes AND all of the fun items in the box.

I made one for each of the diva’s hubbies for our annual Diva Gift Exchange!

You are DONE!  Now, hide it away for that RAINY day.  I am planning on pulling mine out the next time my hubby has a rough day at work…..and since he’s Mr. Cheerful….it might have a little dust on it by then!

*sigh*  That may be a while.  lol  For ANOTHER great craft that would cheer up your spouse….check out Lisa’s “All About You” post.  It completely made her husband’s day…OR her “Rough Day” Recipe post….ANOTHER fab idea!  :)

BTW – If you are wanting to create something like this but you don’t have a craft store close by – there is a great online store called, www.CreateForLess.com.  They sell a LOT of the items I used in this post for such great prices! :)  Good Luck!!

33 Responses to ““Bad Day” Box”

1. Pam says:

I’m a newbie to reading this blog. I LOVE IT! You gals Rock!

I love the “bad day” box idea. I think I’m going to make one for my hubs and one for each of my kids. With hubby’s job right now, he seems to have more bad days than good, which spills over for all of us (kids get less time with Daddy, I get frustrated being alone with kids and no couple time, etc.). It’s a vicious cycle. Hopefully with the “bad day box”, we can interrupt our “bad day negativity” and make our days better!

Thank you for the idea.

2. Lyndsie says:

I love this idea! I just finished putting together a box for my husband….is it totally mean to hope he has a bad day soon so I can surprise him with it? Lol. Thanks for another great idea!

So glad you gals like this idea! :) My husband actually had one DOOZY of a bad day recently…..and I was SO glad I had this!! :) Always good to be prepared! :)

4. Sharlee says:

I’m a new reader of this blog so this post and all of the other links, were so fun and gave me some great ideas. I’m not big into crafty things, but I can modify these ideas in my own way and I love them! I also love how much you ladies love your husbands out there…it’s so refreshing!

• Tara Tara says:

Awww…thanks, Sharlee! It’s nice to hear that! :) In a world where couples like to talk badly about their spouses to their friends….it has been SO fun for all of us to collaborate on ideas that actually BUILD up our spouses! Welcome to our website!

5. Jessica says:

I LOVE this site. The first time I heard about it was about a month ago and I have picked SEVERAL things to do from here and done them as well as have a couple group dates in the planning and some fun stuff for my hubby. He has loved this “new me” who is creative and doing sweet things for him to let him know I love him. I personally LOVE this idea…. but also love the idea of having his name on the box rather than “the”? Is there a template that we could use? or a font name to make it match? (I am BIG in photoshop and illustrator) Thanks again for all your ladies hard work to make it easy for us. ;)

• Tara Tara says:

Hi Jessica! We are so glad you love the site! :) We only offer the printables that are available for free downloads and already posted on the site. If you would like to alter the printable & are proficient at Photoshop, I would suggest uploading it into your Photoshop Program, erase “the” & replace it with his name. :) Good luck! He will LOVE it!

• Jessica says:

Do you remember what font you used so I can make it match the word “box” like the example? :D

• Tara Tara says:

Of COURSE! It’s one of my FAVS!! Pupcat! :) I think it’s one you can download for free off the Internet….just Google it. :)

• Jessica says:

THANK YOU!! :D

• Jessica says:

ok I have to ask…. I know I already asked for the pupcat font but I absolutly LOVE the other font that you use thru your ENTIRE website!! Is it one you guys made? or is it another one that is free?

• Tara Tara says:

Yeah, we love it too! It’s called “Scriptina”. We used that font on our wedding invitations when it *first* came out and I fell in love….and use it all the time.

• Ali says:

I used Scriptina on my wedding invitations too! But my current favorite font is MA Sexy–that’s the one that is “Community” at the top of the page, right? Love it’s feminine quality. :)

• Tara Tara says:

Yeppers! We love both of those fonts… as you can tell! {lol}

6. Wendy Wendy says:

AND I absolutely love mine!! Thank you!

7. Valerie says:

I love this idea and was thinking I could kind of incorperate this into a birthday box for my Mom’s 76th birthday and instead of a bad day box, it could be a birthday box and all the guests could write their favorite memories of our mom and put some favorite things in the box for her…I want to do it for my husband as well. Thanks for the idea.

8. oh wow, this is really fun. i like that it can be used for people other than spouses as well, like a good friend, sibling, parent or a child.

9. Hi, Tara! This is such a great idea! We love this a lot we are sharing this in the blog and our facebook page and twiiter today. Do grab a featured button if you fancy so. votations starts today. have a lovely weekend!

Hugs,
    Lelanie

10. Tricia says:

I just came across your blog and I’m loving all the ideas you share! Thank you! as. Mom with 2 under 5 and a lot of church obligations, it’s nice to have such a fun resource and to know there are others that need to get creative in dating in their marriages, too!

11. Daniela Vegas says:

What did you put in the box.. I need some ideas! Thanks!

12. Rachel says:

I love this idea so much! My husband was recently diagnosed with MS so he has a lot more bad days than he used to. This will be a great thing to lift his spirits when he isn’t feeling well. :)

13. Erin Murray says:

I just made this box for my hubby after a long work-week. For how easy it was to do, he was so appreciative! I filled the box with his favorite adult beverage, candy, golf balls and love notes. This was awesome. I can’t wait to do more!

14. Alison says:

This is great! My boyfriend is stressed out with his last year of college so I am going to totally do this for him! What do you think would be some cute things to put in it???

• Tara Tara says:

Anything that would make him smile or are his favorite things. Candy, love notes, new socks, clothes, sports items, things to do with his hobbies, office supplies {if it would make him happy}, coupons, giftcards to his favorite place, etc. ANYTHING that can fit into the box you create and cheer him up – go for it! Have fun putting it together! xoxo

15. Annie says:

This is seriously my favorite website!! I have to tell you I have found so many great things to impliment in our family & the love notes will work great for my teenage daughter too because God knows we need reassurance at that age!! Thank you for all of the resources you’ve supplied & I think a great thing to add to the box would be bible scriptures (for us personally) along with “I love you because.” I have passed your site along to 3 people already since yesterday :) that is how great I think you all are!!

• Tara Tara says:

Thank you for your sweet words, Annie! I am SO glad you love our website! You are so welcome & we sure appreciate your help in spreading the word about our site! XOXO

16. Wow, I love this idea. I am definitely going to make a few boxes to have on hand for my loved ones. Thanks for the inspiration and free printables. ;o)