July 21, 2011

The PERFECT Wedding Gift!!

Tara-Can'ODates-Pinterest

My adorable little sister JUST got married….last month!  I am SO excited for her and I am guessing she is not the ONLY one who planned on getting married this summer….I am also guessing the majority of you have a wedding to go to sometime this coming year!!  We get emails all the time asking us for ideas for wedding gifts.  There are all sorts of things a bride and groom would love…..but since we tend to focus on KEEPING that spark going after the wedding bells are done ringing…..our gift idea is geared in that direction!  Dating your spouse! :)

Remember THIS post from last year?  Well, with Creative Stirrings’ permission….the divas did their OWN spin on a fabulous…..

Can ‘O Dates

A HUGE thanks to the FAB-U-LOUS and ever so talented Aileen for helping me to put this together.  LOVE YOU, girl!  {If you ever need someone to design some FABULOUS invitations for you….SHE is your gal!  Check out her shop!!}  With her expertise….we were able to combine her design and my logo images to come up with the PERFECT gift.

This can easily be put together in a hurry!  It seriously took me less than 20 minutes….once I had the container!  I purchased the bucket from Michael’s for $4.99.  I then printed the four printables on white cardstock & cut everything apart.  The only other materials you would need would be a cutting board or scissors, ink {optional}, ribbon, and strong scrapbooking adhesive.

We have TWO different color schemes you can download.  The first one matches our site!  Woot, WOOT!  Brown & Pink…..what do ya think??

Click HERE to download the Pink & Brown “Can ‘O Dates” PDF File.

Click HERE to download the Pink & Brown “Can ‘O Dates” zipped file.

Then we decided to go a more traditional route….and create a color scheme that would appeal to most couples.  I present….the red, black, & white version!!

Click HERE to download the Red, Black, & White “Can ‘O Dates” PDF File.

Click HERE to download the Red, Black, & White “Can ‘O Dates” zipped file.

Super cute, huh!!  OHhhhh……you are gonna need ONE more thing…..

Click HERE for actual date ideas that go in your “Can ‘O Dates”. Yeah….we didn’t want to leave you hanging there!  :)

We came up with some date ideas of our own….and combined them with ideas from Creative Stirrings, with her blessing.  {Thank you!!}  When I put together my own “Can ‘O Dates”…..I inked the edges a little bit, used strong scrapbooking adhesive to attach the printables to the can, and placed the date strips inside.  It’s cute enough that you don’t even have to wrap it….just set it on the Gift Table with a card!  :)  What a PERFECT wedding present, huh!?!

NOW – this doesn’t JUST have to be for weddings!  This would also be a fun gift for other couples in your family for Christmas!  :)  AND……who says others have to have all the fun??  You can put this together for you and your OWN spouse tonight!

Check out what one of our creative readers, Robin @RobbyGurl’s Creations, did with our printables….

She just happened to have a bunch of formula cans on hand and decided to create darling presents for family members for Christmas! By resizing our printables, she created the darling journal above as well as the cute smaller version of our “Can ‘O Dates.” If you want her files, click HERE. To see her original post, click HERE.

44 Responses to “The PERFECT Wedding Gift!!”

1. Amberly says:

Oh my, this is the perfect idea!!! I have a lot of friends getting married and as a newlywed it’s hard to spend a lot of money and I always want to do something creative and fun! This is officially my new wedding gift go to! Thanks for this idea!

2. Nisha says:

I made one of these last year for my best friend and her HUSBAND was totally excited about it! Nice. It is the perfect wedding gift!

3. Michelle says:

The timing on this could not have been better!! I was hoping to do something a little extra and fun for my sister in laws bridal shower next week and this is PERFECT!! Thank you so much!!

4. Ellen says:

Hey! Love the idea … I’m trying to print off the red/black can pieces, but my printer isn’t printing them on one sheet. I try to “shrink to page” to print them but no dice. Can you help me? Thanks!!

• Tara Tara says:

Hey Ellen!

Hang in there…..we are going to upload them again in PDF format. Sorry about that! :) My printer automatically converts jpegs into the right size….so I totally spaced making it into a PDF for everyone else! :) So glad you like this! XOXO, Tara

5. Annie says:

I love this idea! I just made my very own and can’t wait to plan some fun dates with the hubby! I am planning on making 4 more for christmas gifts! Thanks for the idea!

• Tara Tara says:

You are welcome, Annie! I am definitely making these for all the married couples in our family for Christmas as well! YAY!! :)

6. Kara says:

Tara this is adorable!! Visiting you back from TT&J :) Love the amazing ideas on this blog!! Thanks for inviting me over and leaving a sweet comment on my blog :)

7. Jennfier says:

What a cute idea! My husband and I tried something similar to this before – didn’t make it past date 1 or 2. Might have to give it another go!! Have a great weekend!
    Jenn :)

8. Kiirsten Kiirsten says:

Wedding gifts are a CONSTANT need! I am going to get a few of these prepped and ready to go. Thanks, Tara & Aileen!!

9. Andrea says:

I am going to do something similar to this for a gift for my spouse. I want to put together date ideas with Gift Certificates for the date. I like your can. Maybe this is how I will wrap it (it’s so nice the work is done) :)

10. Wendy wendy says:

I LOVE IT TARA! Seriously, this is such a cute wedding or anniversary gift…. WaHooo!!!

11. Aimee says:

I love this idea, not just for a wedding gift (which would be perfect) but also for an anniversary gift or like you suggested for family members for Christmas. Thanks for sharing your creativity <3

12. Kellie says:

I love the paint can idea! I made one for my friends as they went off to college with some small goodies and Everyday items! Around the handle I tied ribbion on it to give it a cute look!

13. Kari Kari says:

Well, I can honestly say you never disappoint! I have been eagerly awaiting this post…since I have weddings coming up and it’s the perfect gift! I don’t know that my will look nearly as fancy as yours…but I’m still gonna give it the ol’ college try!

14. Erin says:

I LOVE this idea — and although it took me an entire afternoon, I downloaded the file into paint and redid it — pixel by pixel — in the colors needed for my sister-in-law’s weeding next month!!! Any chance of giving us a template for both in a program that we can change if/as needed?

• Tara Tara says:

Hey Erin! So glad you were able to change the design to suit your needs! Your SIL will love it! :) As for your question – we put together & offer so many free printables that we unfortunately need to stick with one downloadable file – which is the PDF versions. :) We tried to offer two different versions on this one so it appeals to more of our audience. So far, it has been really well-received! :) Thanks for understanding & we wish your sister-in-law a wonderful wedding!

15. Shelly says:

I am making one of these for my cousin’s wedding and have a quick question: what size of can does this printable go on? Is it a one gallon paint can? Thanks!

16. Tara,
    I love what you have done with my little idea! The printables are fantastic and look amazing! Good job and thanks again for sharing!

MyCreativeStirrings

17. Thanks for this idea. With an upcoming wedding im fretting about what wedding gift to get etc!! im hopeless with this sort of stuff but i think i will do something similar to what you have. Thanks again for the idea!

18. Pam says:

I am so doing this for Christmas gifts this year!

19. Bobbie Jo says:

HELP! I was just trying to put a Can O’ Dates together for a last minute (& I mean last minute ;>) Christmas gift, & the printable does not fit the “paint” can that I purchased from Michael’s. The front & rear labels don’t meet at the sides of the can. Have I done something wrong???

Thanks!

• Tara Tara says:

Hey Bobbie Jo!

I could be the settings you have your printer set on. I used the “Large” clear can from Michael’s & it actually overlapped just a little on the sides. Make sure the printer is not set to “shrink” or anything funky like that. That would be the only thing I can think of as far as why yours is printing out too small. Good luck! :) XO, Tara

20. Jacquelin says:

I love this idea it will be perfect for my best friends wedding! However I was wondering if I had to pay for this item because when I went to print it it wouldn’t allow me to do so. If so how much and where do I pay?

21. Melissa says:

I love this idea and just went to print the printables and noticed that the brown and pink one says 36 dates, but the red and black says 60+ dates. Which number is correct? I love the black and red, but am not sure I can come up with another 30 dates if there are only 36.

22. Rachel says:

This is FANTASTIC! What a wonderful gift to a new couple. My fiance’s sister and a good friend of mine are both getting married this summer. I can’t wait to give them these thoughtful gifts that will keep on giving!

23. Michelle Michelle says:

This is perfect for those receptions on the run. So easy and quick, no planning required. I love the cute printables!!! Thanks for sharing. xox <3

24. Kristie says:

Love, love, love this! I’m getting married in two weeks and am making one of these for my fiance’s birthday this weekend! He is all about our weekly date night, and there are so many GREAT ideas that are totally budget-friendly. I will definitely be making these for other people as gifts, too. Brilliant!

25. Amanda says:

I love this idea! I just heard about your website the other day and since then I have been on here nearly everyday to look at all the ideas. This one I am using for my Husband’s younger sister and her husband. They have birthdays really close together so we are celebrating them together and we couldn’t figure out a good gift. They are newly weds and so I think this is the perfect idea. Thanks!

1. [...] Here’s one to get us started from The Dating Divas… [...]

2. [...] fun ideas.  I was so excited when I came across this free printable for a Can ‘O Dates from The Dating Divas. I filled the can with date ideas from their site and also added a lot of my own [...]

3. [...] at Dating Divas they expanded on the same idea and added some date ideas as well as creating cute decorative [...]

4. [...] As you can see, I added some zebra and lime green sparkly, polka dot ribbon to the top and tied it into a pretty bow. I made the tag in Word and printed it, then cut it out and glued it on to some zebra paper. Then I just put double-sided tape on the jar and stuck on the tag! {If you do a can instead of a jar, you can find super cute, pre-designed labels here.} [...]