July 30, 2013

DIY Travel Map

Sarina-travelmap-pinterestpicfinal

My husband and I LOVE to travel. No matter what our budget looks like, we make it a priority to put away something for a nice trip for just the two of us. We love to discover new cultures, experience new things and, of course, get away alone for awhile!  So, when it came time to think of a special gift for him for our anniversary – I really wanted to give my husband a travel map to mark all of the places that we have been together. My husband’s grandparents have been married for 61 years and have displayed in their home a detailed map labeled with all of their travels throughout their marriage (and they have a LOT!). I thought that was so sweet and something I would like to do with my spouse, but  when I went to go buy the same map it cost $169.00. Now – it is a BEAUTIFUL map, but that is money that I would MUCH rather spend on our next trip! So I made my own and am sharing with you today how you can make your very own Travel Map for under $25.00!

For My Map I Used the Following:

TOTAL COST: $24.32

Here is what you do:

I purchased my 24×36 poster frame from Target, but the frame outline was black. I wanted an antique-feel for my map, so I used my favorite kind of spray paint to give a copper-toned color to the frame. What I like about this spray is that is gives off a “hammered” look rather than a smooth, glossy finish. The texture adds a nice depth and helps the final project look more antique.

After the spray had completely dried, I added my World Map Poster to the poster frame. I played with the idea of using foam board, cork board or even a canvas for my backing but all of that required trimming my map and/or gluing. Way too difficult. I am all about easy and effective! Using the poster frame I had an instant frame, and the frame CAME WITH a cardboard back and the map fit perfectly! The pins stick into the cardboard without any problem and I didn’t have to cut or trim at all! A crafters dream!

Sarina-DIYTravelMap-Picture4-WebLogo

Next, I used spray adhesive to add the printables created especially for this project by our designer Leah Aldous. She does custom design work and for this project she matched the design to my purchased map perfectly! It totally looks like it was meant to go with the map. If you ever need anything designed contact her – trust me you won’t regret it!

Sarina-DIYTravelMap-Picture2-WebLogo

Next, you will want to decide how you want to label your pins. The legend provides three categories: places we have been together, places we plan to visit soon, and places we dream of going. Amazon has oodles of color pin choices and even some tacks with colored flags that you could have a different color pin for each category. This is the traditional way of doing a travel map.

Sarina-DIYTravelMap-Picture7-WebLogo

For my own unique spin, I went with all gold pins to match the antique feel of my map, and used paper punch shapes for each of the categories. I used my punch to make hearts for the places we have been together and stars for places we plan to visit soon. I then pricked the pin through the shape and placed each in the legend. For the places we dream of going, I used my hot glue gun to glue a small jewels to the head of the pin.

Sarina-DIYTravelMap-Picture5-WebLogo

There are so many ways you can label your map! This is where you can really personalize it to make it special.

Then comes my favorite part – adding in the pins to show where you have traveled!

Sarina-DIYTravelMap-Picture1-WebLogo

Using the legend I created, I placed pins all over the world to the places we have traveled together, the places we have plans to visit soon and even the places we dream of visiting together. We have both traveled the world separately, but for this gift, I wanted to focus on our travels together.

Sarina-DIYTravelMap-Picture3-WebLogo

I am so excited to give this to my husband on our anniversary and to have something that we can continually add to throughout our years of marriage together. After we have some more trips marked on our map, I think it would be so fun to make a book that includes pictures and memories from those travels just like this one that Erika’s husband made for her!

Sarina-DIYTravelMap-Picture6-WebLogo

And there you have it! Your very own travel map for under $25.00! Perfect for the couple who loves to travel!

Now it is time to start planning your next vacation! Check out Julie’s Vacation Planning Date for free printables to help plan your next trip!

41 Responses to “DIY Travel Map ”

1. Angie Angie says:

LOVE this! I’m so making one of these. What a great idea!

2. Becca Becca says:

In love with this!!! Totally want to make one now! :)

What a BEAUTIFUL idea!! I wish we had traveled a little more so ours would have more HEARTS on them! lol Gosh, I love the aged look as well! It turned out so neat!

4. Aoifa says:

Wow! I have looked at travel maps before but they can be so expensive! This is great. I can’t wait to make it. Looks like i’ll be stopping at the hobby store on my way home! :)

5. Micala says:

Eeeeee!! I have been trying to find a way to map our travels…this is perfect, and affordable. Thank you so much!

6. Amanda says:

I made this and it turned out great!! thank you so much for the pdf!!

7. Elizabeth says:

Love this idea… I ordered the same map as you did…. Do you happen to still have the files for the labels? I can’t wait to hang ours up! :)

• Sarina Sarina says:

Elizabeth –

So glad that you want to make it! The files for the labels are included in the post. Above, when listing the materials that I needed for my map you can find “Legend and Quote printable made by the amazing designer Leah Aldous. Cost: FREE ” If you click on the pink part it will take you to the PDF and you can print it off yourself and have the exact thing!
      Enjoy!

8. tb says:

Great stuff. Were you able to get the pins through the plastic covering or did you end up removing?

• Sarina Sarina says:

Glad you like it! The frame that I purchased did not have a plastic covering on top so that wasn’t a problem. If you have one that does – you would most likely have to remove it!

9. Jessie says:

This is the cutest idea! I do have one question…with the backing of the poster you had mentioned using just cardboard…could u explain how you did this in more detail for me. Thanks!

10. Jessie says:

Love this idea! Cld u go into more detail about the backing u used for the poster?

11. Cherie says:

I ADORE this! I am making one for my boyfriend now, we met in another country and are finally settling into own home together very soon :)

Do you happen to have a version of the printable with places you have traveled desperately?

We are a new couple, so I am afraid it will be a bit sparse haha!

You totally nailed this one, this is beautiful and so thoughtful.

• Cherie says:

oops! I mean *separately

• Sarina Sarina says:

Cherie –
      Your boyfriend will love this! There are so many ways that you can personalize it and that is really fun. If you are interested in having our same printable customized for you – contact Lead Aldous at la-sync.com she is amazing and she should be able to customize something for you for a minimal cost.
      I hope that helps!

12. Kandice Angel says:

This is such a fantastic idea! I just ordered the supplies {thanks to your super helpful links,} but I was wondering what type of paper you printed your templates on? Thanks so much for sharing such a great project! I am counting down till Christmas to give this to my love!

• Sarina Sarina says:

I am glad you like the gift. My husband LOVED it! For printing I just went to Office Depot and they printed it. They gave me options of card stock and there was one that had some texture to it and I chose that. I definitely recommend card stock!

13. Nikki says:

I love this so much. It is definitely happening! :)

14. Charity says:

I am in the process of making this as a gift but the “Legend and Quote” pdf is not loading properly. “is with you” on the first label is scrambled. Anyone else have any trouble with it?

15. Jodi says:

Love this idea and saw it at a friends house over the weekend. Although, hers was expensive. Is there a version that does not say ‘we”? I am single and travel solo. Again, great idea!!!

16. Amanda says:

I’m so glad I found this! I’ve been wanting to make one of these as a gift for a friend of mine but all the tutorials I have seen ending up costing close to $80. This one is perfect! Thanks for sharing!

17. Ildiko says:

I love it :) Such a great gift!!! I am making one for my husband too, i have already ordered the map. :)))
    Thanks for the great idea and manual!

18. Abby says:

Thanks for sharing this–I’ve been trying to do something just like this so I’m glad I searched for it and found your blog! Do you think it would be better to get the map laminated (double sided glare-reducing matte finish)? Or just regular? Thanks in advance!!

19. Faith says:

I just finished my map for my husband! I did spend a little over $30 on it though because I stupidly bought the frame from k-mart. I ended up gluing the map to the back of the cardboard along with the sheet of paper it came with because I wanted it thicker and sturdier. I had a moment of terror when I realized I didn’t check which way the frame hung before I glued it but thank goodness I put it on right! It’s so beautiful though. I hope he likes it as much as I do!

20. Alexandra says:

The PDF printable now costs $18 for the legends, does anyone still have the pdf saved? :) I have already ordered the map and am so excited to complete the look!

• Sarina Sarina says:

Alexandra – I am not sure where you are seeing a charge for $18. Our printable legend is completely free! Just click on the word “Legend and Quote printable” where all the items are listed. It should open up a PDF and you can print or download – no cost! If you are still having trouble, email me at sarina@thedatingdivas and I can attach the pdf via email form!

21. Samantha Akerman says:

What a cute idea! Did you glue the map to the cardboard backing using spray adhesive? How did you attach the legends to the map? Using the spray adhesive?

Thank you for your help! :-)

22. Valerie says:

Oh noooooo….the map is sold out on Amazon D: I’m so sad!

23. Danielle says:

Hi! I am trying to make this for boyfriend his birthday coming up in a few weeks! I bought all the supplies, but then as I was trying to put in place some of the pins, I realized the back of the frame was too hard for me to push the pins through! Any suggestions other than to buy a new frame??
    Thanks!

• Sarina Sarina says:

Hey Danielle!

The frame that I purchased has a piece of cardboard in there. The pins slide nicely into the cardboard! If yours doesn’t that would be really easy to cut a piece that size! I don’t think you need to go buy an entirely new frame! Good luck!

24. Michele says:

I love this idea and am going to make it for my husband for our 25th wedding anniversary coming up. I was wondering if the frame you used was plastic and if so, did the Rust-o-leum spray work well on it? Any tips would be helpful! Thank you.

• Sarina Sarina says:

Michele – What a wonderful anniversary gift! I LOVE it! The frame I got WAS plastic (super cheap!) and the Rust-O-Leum spray worked! It still looks great! I hope that helps!

25. Jezrael says:

I know you posted this a long time ago but I’m trying to do this for my husband for Christmas. I went to the website you posted and I can’t find the specific map you have. Do you know of anywhere else I could find it?

• Jezrael says:

Good Evening,

I ordered the poster but haven’t received it yet, I also got the printables from Leah. Can you tell me what the dimensions are of each other them so I can get them printed out before the poster gets here?