July 19, 2012

Exploding Love Box

For expressing my love to my husband this year, I bypassed the oodles of traditional grocery store cards and decided to make my own! For my craftiness I turned to every woman’s source of creativity: Pinterest.

My eye caught sight of an “exploding box” tutorial from Anso at her blog Glitter Adventure. When the lid is removed, this box spills out with over 24 sides to cover in creative ways.

The Exploding Box is a fun and creative way to express your love in a very personalized way!

SUPPLIES:

• 4 12X12 sheets of card stock
  • Scissors
  • Adhesive: wet glue or double-sided tape
  • 4 paperclips (optional)
  • Anything else that you want to decorate the box with: pictures, colored paper, favorite quotes, stickers etc.

INSTRUCTIONS:

For detailed step by step instructions, including pictures, see the original post located hereThe instructions are very detailed and easy to follow. Although appearing semi-complicated, it was actually really simple and fun to make!

I converted my box into a card by writing a main message in the central square with a lead-in such as: “Hopefully you know every day of the year, but today is just another day to share why I love you”

Then, on each of the 10+  flaps I filled in some of the many reasons why I love my man. I also trimmed pictures of us and added a few quotes to add variety.

The possibilities with this box are ENDLESS and this could be used for a card any time of the year or even just an “I love you” to remind him he is loved!

For more alternatives to the traditional card, check out Erika’s Library Checkout Card or her Lucky in Love craft idea.

29 Responses to “Exploding Love Box”

1. Kristen kristen says:

really cute sarina!! I’m going to do this for the next special occasion.

2. Stephanie Stephanie says:

This Idea could be used in so many different ways! and it is cheap to make! thanks Sarina!

Super cute, Sarina! Just in time for Jamie’s birthday! Gosh, I can use a LOT of stuff we are posting this week for his birthday! lol {It’s this Saturday!} Fab pics, too! xoxo

4. Kari Kari says:

Oh my goodness, Sarina, this is so creative!! I LOVE it!! Way to get those creative juices flowin’!

5. Michelle Michelle says:

I love this! This is so cute and seems like a craft I could easily do, especially with all your detailed instructions. I am excited to try this for my hubbies birthday!!! xox <3

6. Christian says:

I am Sarina’s husband and I just wanted to say how special this exploding love box made me feel. It was the perfect gift that remains true to its title of “Exploding Love Box.” Every time I think about, or see, this gift I can’t help but explode with love for my extraordinary wife. I love you so much Sarina and thanks once again for putting so much love and effort into our relationship.

7. Kenzie R. says:

That is such a cute idea! & My boyfriend’s birthday is coming up.. hmm :D

8. Melissa P. says:

I LOVE this site………!!!!!! What a great idea….. I am going to use this for my husbands birthday that is coming up! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE you guys Keep up the GREAT work!

9. Cassie says:

LOVE IT! I pinned it and will be making one myself!

10. Julie Julie says:

What a fun way to show your love, I am going to do this for sure!

11. Tonee says:

I know this sounds bad, but I really need advice. I love these ideas, but my hubby states that he is needing me to express my love for him verbally. We are doing the long distance thing right now do some recent changes. Apparently I am good at expressing my love in letters, but he doesnt say how. But he states he needs to hear it more. What else can i say besides i love you and miss you. I tell him jow his voice brightens my days, but appaently he wants more…?? What are some of the things you write on these gifts?

• Sarina Sarina says:

That is a great question! Everyone gives and receives love differently. According to one of my favorite books on marital communication, “The 5 Love Languages” it sounds like your husband prefers words of affirmation. The most important thing is that you are willing to speak his “language”
      One idea that may work in your relationship is a tradition that I call “I love you today because” Every night right before the last goodnight each person shares 1 reason why they love the other that day. Each person goes to bed feeling good & throughout the day you are thinking ahead about what you can share. When it is a night expectation/tradition – it is easy to incorporate in conversation.
      Specifically for this box – I tried to write the things that I appreciate most about my husband. Some of these included: taking care of me when I am sick, expressing his love for me, helping around the house, lifting my mood & working so hard to provide for our family. I also included quotes about love & marriage as well as lyrics from songs that are special to us.
      I hope that this helps! I strongly suggest checking out our review of the book:

12. This would make a really cute Wedding Guest Book! Each person could sign one of the flaps.

13. Chandra says:

This is so sweet! I am thinking I will do one for my husband for Christmas. Last year I did the 52 reasons why I love you and made it with the deck of cards. He loved it. I’m also thinking this might be a good gift for my mom, obviously expressing my gratitude for being an excellent mom and example of what a wife is. :) Love this!

14. Andrea says:

I’m thinking this would be a fun alternative for a guest book at my upcoming small wedding!

15. Amanda says:

Thanks for posting this! I have been clueless about what to do for my guy this Valentine’s Day, but I think he’ll love this!

16. Judy says:

What a nice way to say I love you. Thanks

17. Laura says:

Hi, I’m interested in making these and was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could find the centre decorations e.g. on some there are little cakes in the centre of the box or flowers, I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can buy them as I wouldn’t be any good at making them myself.

Kind regards

Laura

• Sarina Sarina says:

Laura – I would love to help you find what you are looking for, but I need some more clarification on what it is you are referring to with “Centre decorations”. Are you referring to the pictures above or just in general?

18. Rita says:

Did this for my sweetheart on our anniversary and he ADORED the creativity and thought that was put into it!

Such a great twist to your typical card.

19. Mary says:

By going by the instructions, how big is the flaps. I wanna print pictures, but I wanna make sure that I have the right size..

20. Kristi says:

Just made one for my hubby’s bday and he loved it! Thanks so much! :)

21. Tia says:

I’ve been looking for more ways to send creative letters. My husband is in basic training for the Army and I can’t send him anything in packages. This way he can get a box and feel all the love I put into it at the same time!

22. Emma says:

I am going to make this tomorrow !! great idea

23. Devon Valentin says:

I love this project! I made the box and it turned out incredible! my only question is where how did you print out the photos so small? most places Ive been have the option as 4×6 as the smallest:(

1. [...] found it at the Dating Diva’s but the step by step AWESOME instructions are at Glitter Adventure.  Like this:LikeBe the first [...]

2. [...] Exploding Love Box: By far, one of the most creative and fun ideas we’ve seen out there.  And it free. [...]