August 16, 2012

Flat Hubby

If you’re like me, then your hubby travels A LOT!  I miss him terribly, but I know he misses my son and I more…. sitting alone in his hotel room at night! To wave those lonely moments, I took the elementary activity, Flat Stanley, and created a FUN spin-off with Flat Hubby! For those of you who aren’t familiar, you can check out http://www.flatstanley.com/about for the full 411!

What is Flat Hubby!?

Flat Hubby is your “step-in” husband while your real one is away.  He is a paper doll replica of your cutie, made for easy transportation to all your days’ activities.  While you’re out and about, take pictures of you (and your kids) with the paper doll and text them to your hubby so he feels like he’s right there with you!  My hubby LOVES getting pictures throughout the day and it makes his trip much easier!

Making YOUR Flat Hubby

EASY! Here’s a material list:

• Neutral colored paper
  • 2 pieces of patterned or colorful paper
  • A picture of your CUTIE
  • Glue and Scissors
FUN Craft...Flat Hubby

Flat Hubby Materials

Directions:

1. On the neutral piece of paper, draw an outline of a person OR find a picture of a body you can trace.
  2. Using your two patterned or colorful pieces of paper, make a t-shirt and pants for your hubby. (I’m sure we all like our Hubby’s nude, but NOT in public! ;-) )
  3. Cut out your cutie’s face, from the picture you selected, to use for the paper doll’s head. You can draw a face if you’d like… but I prefer the REAL thing! :)
  4. Lastly, glue the clothing and face to the body… and VOILA you have your Flat Hubby!
FUN Craft...Flat Hubby

Finished Flat Hubby

** Remember, your flat hubby doesn’t have to be perfect, just like your real hubby, you love him for his flaws and ALL! :-D

NOW, take fun pictures with your HANDSOME paper doll and text them to your honey!  He’ll LOVE that you’ve thought about him enough to include him (any way possible) in your daily activities! FUN Craft...Flat Hubby

Check out the Miss U Card, by Erika, as another way to show your hubby you’re thinking of him while he’s away!

22 Responses to “Flat Hubby”

1. Julie Julie says:

That is such a fun idea! I love that your husband will never know where his ‘flat hubby’ will be when he gets those pictures throughout the day.
    My husband has conferences out of town once a year and usually I go with the kids. I was thinking this would be so fun to do when daddy’s in meetings and we are touring around the town:)

I seriously LOVE this idea!! As a teacher, I’ve known about Flat Stanley forever!! This idea is darling. You could also send your sweetheart off with “Flat Kids” and have him take fun pictures of the kids at different locations of where he is traveling. So many possibilities!

3. Erika Erika says:

Paige, this is adorable! My hubby is away and we are TOTALLY going to do this. Love it.

4. Kp says:

I know this is a site devoted to making your special someone feel that little bit more awesome throughout his day – but this post brought up a question on the flip side of that.

What tips or tricks would you recommend for the lady who’s on the other end of her man’s work trip? The girl who misses him like crazy, and needs something to keep him in her day between garbled phone calls (damn poor reception!)… she (I) needs his presence and some ideas to keep me sane.

• Paige Paige says:

Hey KP! I totally understand how hard it is while your man is away! Here’s one idea. My mother-in-law lives far from us…and misses her only grandson. So everyday, since he was born, I’ve text her a new picture. Ask your man to text you a quick picture of himself everyday while he’s away! That way you have something new each day to smile about until he returns!

5. so funny!! I am going to do this!! My husband travels a lot!!!

6. Michelle Michelle says:

Paige that is soooo stinking adorable. What a great idea. My hubby is away a lot too and I think I’m going to make a flat hubby for myself and a flat wife for him! Such a great idea!!!! xox <3

7. Rachel says:

Love it! I did this when last minute my man was not able to go on a roadtrip with my friend and I. If you hold the photo just right, it will look like he is really there in each moment. Check out the first photo on this link

8. Dana says:

I’m giggling, but I’m totally going to do this. So fun!

9. Ellie Mae says:

I LOVE this idea! I loved it when my kids did Flat Stanley, it was great!

10. Mandy says:

This is tender. It would be a great idea for military families or ones with dad’s who travel a lot. I actually am going to use this on my upcoming trip. My husband has a business trip to San Fran, and although I’m going with him and leaving our 2 girls behind, he will be in meetings allllll day while I sightsee. I’ll shall make 3, my hubby and my 2 girls. Haha :)

Pinned.

Mandy
    smallfineprint.com

11. Nisha Nisha says:

My kids are going to go nuts over this one! My hubby doesn’t travel for work, but the kids and I do enough fun things without him and it would be fun for us to pretend he’s there.

12. stephanie says:

My husband travels all over the country and we miss him terribly. When he came home I showed him this and he thought it was such a fun idea! Flat daddy even went to school with our teenager son and his friends had fun with it too! Great great idea to make it feel like he is home when he is so far away. In the evenings we set him on the couch like hes watching TV with us.

13. Love this idea! My husband travels a lot for business, so I’m going to make a Flat Wife for him so I can “visit” all of the awesome places with him!

14. Crystal says:

I loved this idea but….my husband is sick of traveling, he hates coming home on the weekends to see how much the kids have grown. We used to Skype but he said that makes it harder to be gone when we hang up. I ran the Flat Husband by him and he said, “Great, so now I can see all the fun your having that I can’t be there for”. Is that selfish? Or just sad for him that he hates being gone so much? My two kids and I do miss him but I work full time, am going to school and they have school so being very busy keeps our minds off it. Any more suggestions to help him not miss us so much without maybe showing him what he is missing?

• Paige Paige says:

Hi Crystal!!! I’m sorry…traveling gets exhausting so I don’t blame him! He may be bummed to see all the fun stuff you are doing while he’s not there but on the other side of the coin, he won’t be going a whole week without seeing the kids if you do decide to create a flat hubby and text pics to him! Also, it might make him smile to see the silly/fun things they are doing…making his week easier. Another idea may be to save some of those things for the weekend…or pick them up to bring home for a treat that night. For example… if you and the kiddos go out for ice cream, pick up some to bring home for him or pick up enough to store in the freezer so you all can enjoy them later, together!

Hope those ideas help!!!!

15. Christine says:

I absolutely love this idea! I’m in the 2nd year of a long distance relationship with my boyfriend who is in the army! Wish I had found this a long time ago. I will be making one very soon!

16. Barbara says:

so great! We are familiar with Flat Stanley b/c the 4th graders here all create one and send one out of town for some vacation time. My sweet husband is out of town right now and I came here looking for an idea or two to let him know we are thinking of him. Thanks!! He already got his first flat hubby pic. This is going to be fun and make the time apart go much more quickly. Our daughter is also spending her first early Christmas season away from home so I made a Flat Kathleen for her to go along on with us while we prepare for her homecoming and Christmas.

• Paige says:

My hubby LOVES this idea! He travels a lot and so I use it often! I’m so glad you can use it too and what a great idea to make one of your daughter while she is away! You can make a Flat anybody and have fun with it….i just love that! :)

1. [...] The Flat Hubby – The Dating Divas [...]

2. […] fun voice messages over the years. Be creative! If your husband is going away on a business trip, make a flat hubby and and take some fun pictures to text/email to him and brighten his […]