November 6, 2012

Gratitude: On A Roll!

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, it’s the perfect time to show your man just how thankful you are for him!  And what’s better than a love note?  Well, how about lots of little love notes… hidden inside his food!

So if you’re already planning on doing some bread baking this holiday season, why not spend a couple extra minutes to make it extra special for the one that you are MOST thankful for in the world?

When I saw these fun Gratitude Rolls on Pinterest, I knew I had to try them!  You see, when it comes to Thanksgiving- I am all about the pies.  My husband, however, is all about the rolls!!  He’d take my homemade crescents over just about any sweet.  So I decided to put my own spin on the idea- just for him!

I began by writing on little slips of paper lots of different reasons why I am thankful for him.  And then I pulled out my all-time favorite crescent roll recipe…  (It comes from my mom, and it’s super simple and always turns out perfectly.)

You’ll need:

• 1 C lukewarm water
  • 2 TB dry yeast
  • 3 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 C sugar
  • 1/2 C melted margarine
  • 4 C flour

To start, pour the water in a large mixing bowl.  Add sugar and sprinkle in yeast.  Let stand 5-10 minutes, or until yeast is bubbly.  Add melted margarine, eggs, salt, and flour.  Stir to mix well.  Place in a greased bowl.  Cover and allow to rise 3-6 hours, or in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours.

Next, turn out onto a lightly floured board.  Knead the dough 3 or 4 times, just to get rid of the stickiness.

Divide the dough in half, and roll each half into a circle about 12″ in diameter.  Brush liberally with melted margarine, and use a pizza cutter to cut the dough pie-fashion into 12 pieces.  (I usually cut the circle into quarters first, and then cut each quarter into 3 pieces.)

This is where it gets fun!  Grab one of your gratitude love notes and set it on top of one of your triangles.

Then, just roll the dough starting with the wide end of your triangle.  Wrap the tail end of the triangle under the roll and place it on a greased cookie sheet.

Repeat for all 24 crescent rolls, making sure to leave room on the cookie sheet for the rolls to double in size.  Let rise 2-4 hours and bake at 350° for about 10 minutes, or until light brown.

When they come out of the oven, brush the tops with butter and pile them in a basket or bowl for your hubby.  Then just  DOWNLOAD OUR FREE PRINTABLE to go along with it.

Now who wouldn’t love coming home to that?!

If your guy is a serious bread lover like mine, you can put a little love note in every roll and give him a whole bowl-full.  (I’m sure he’ll share, and he can use the leftovers for lunch sandwiches throughout the week.)  Or you can make the recipe to go with your usual family dinner, and slip a note into only a roll or two- just for your man’s dinner plate.  (Just don’t forget which rolls they are!)  Heck- I’m sure the kids would love their own special rolls, too!

**Just a couple a tips I learned from experience…

Printing your notes on typing paper works better than writing them with marker.  (The marker can bleed onto the roll.  Ick!)  Spreading butter liberally onto the dough and rolling loosely prevents the paper from sticking.

So get on a roll- and go show some gratitude to your bread-winner!

Oh, and if you’re looking for some other tasty recipes to go with your Thanksgiving rolls, head on over to check out Kari’s yummy post or click here for the ultimate Thanksgiving cookbook.

For amazing delicious recipes that OUR husband’s love, check out our Dating Divas Recipes Revealed Cookbook!

Recipe Book - sidebar ad - 250

20 Responses to “Gratitude: On A Roll!”

1. Julie Julie says:

What a great idea! Rolls are my husband’s favorite and slipping a little note in them…genius! He will be in heaven:)

2. Oh, I love this! I am always in charge of rolls for my big family meal and this would be such a sweet touch. So they come out readable?

• Becca Becca says:

Yes- they do! But printing your notes on typing paper works much better than writing with pen or marker. And make sure to roll loosely. Hope your family loves them!

3. Michelle Michelle says:

I was so just thinking about this idea the other day and hoping I could find it. So thank you for making my search easy! For Thanksgiving I want my notes to be little prompts to help give everyone a direction for their “I’m thankful for” sentence. I can’t wait to use the love note idea for a special dinner for my hubby!!! xox <3

4. Paige Paige says:

This is awesome! I love it! I can’t wait to try this!

5. Nicole says:

THANK YOU so much for sharing. I have been looking all over for a tried and true crescent roll recipe. All the other ones I found have been posted as an “I want to try” on people’s blogs, but never one that had first hand long time experience.

6. Wendy wendy says:

Cute stuff! Love that darling printable!!

7. Sarina Sarina says:

I love this idea so much! I am definitely doing this!

8. JP says:

I will be trying this, it is such a cute idea….had to pin it, too!

9. Candice Candice says:

Becca, this idea is definitely on the Holiday to-do list! Thank you for your wonderful post and tips! One quick question- when you place the notes on top of the dough, do they end up absorbing the melted margarine?

10. Anamika says:

Haha I love this! One prob is that the husband might not be able to notice the papers and accidentally ingest it! (ouch! but hey,paper is ingestible haha) But nonetheless, this is such a sweet idea! Thank you for sharing! hoping for some more ideas! Keep it up!

11. Christy says:

I hate to be picky, but “occasion” is spelled incorrectly on the printable (it only has one S) and my husband is a super grammar/spelling freak. Is there any chance that could be fixed and re-offered???

Really, I don’t mean to be THAT person . . . hubby is a total bread lover and I love this idea!!!

• Becca Becca says:

Oh my goodness- how did I miss that? Thanks for letting us know. The printable is all fixed now and ready for you to download. Hope your husband loves it. :)

Super cute idea, Becca!! Great job!!

1. […] the Dating Divas.com this idea is for your spouse or partner and involves turning everyday crescent rolls into fortune […]