Newborn Photography Ideas, Tips, and Inspiration
Is there anything sweeter than newborn photos? The scrunchy little faces, sweet wrinkles, and rolls. It’s a stage you will want to remember forever. That is why today we are featuring the perfect way to savor that precious newborn stage with all the best newborn photography tips.
Whether you are a skilled photographer or someone who just likes snapping their own photos, we have come up with the best tips and ideas for capturing those perfect newborn pictures. After seeing all the cute baby picture ideas, you won’t want to wait to set up your own newborn photo shoot!
To make browsing easier, we’ve divided these ideas into categories.
Table of Contents
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. To learn more about ’em, click here.
20 Newborn Pose Ideas
It is always great to have ideas and suggestions for posing your baby! Knowing a couple of poses beforehand that you absolutely LOVE can really help you get your picture just right. Here are some of our favorite poses for your newborn session.
1. Newborn Cozy Family Pose – There is nothing as sweet as a new family member! Snuggle up together as a family, and snap a few precious pictures with your newest addition! If you’ve got a baby girl, make sure you’ve snagged some of these cute baby bows!
2. Pose with Only Daddy – A sweet cuddling and kissing pose is a great way to capture the love between a dad and his newborn!
3. Pose with Only Mommy – Is there anything as beautiful as the bond between a newborn and their mother? We also recommend a swaddle blanket for a cozy, happy baby. This floral swaddle featured gives us ALL the feels!
4. Pose with Siblings – Be sure to include the baby’s siblings in some of your newborn photos! There are so many great pose ideas to capture the love between new brothers and sisters.
5. Pose Outside – If the weather permits, take your newborn photo shoot outside. Shooting photos outdoors can be a great way to add warmth and color to your pictures with gorgeous lighting. Use this newborn hammock in photos with your little one, and it will give you all heart eyes!
6. Parents Kissing Photography Poses – Feel the love with new parents and their sweet newborn with a kissing pose.
7. Swaddled Newborn Pose– In general, newborns love to be swaddled. Keep them happy during your photo shoot by wrapping them up “snug as a bug” in a muslin blanket–plus, they make for some beautiful images!
8. Baby Between Parents Pose – It feels like this time with a newborn will never end, but someday you will be SO glad you got a photo of you and your spouse with your new little bundle.
9. Pose on Tummy – Something about the tummy pose just makes you want to snuggle those babies, doesn’t it?
10. Holding Baby Against Chest Pose – Cuddle up with your newborn babe by holding them up against your chest for a beautiful photo.
11. Hands on Cheeks Pose – There are lots of variations of “hands on cheeks” that don’t require a professional photographer or a composite image. I just love the sweet details of the face you can get with this pose.
12. Parents Blurred in Background Pose – Create some depth to your photos by placing the parents in the background of your pictures. Learn how to achieve a beautiful depth of field on your phone camera.
13. Classic Smiling at Camera Pose – Capture the joy of the new parents by having them smile at the camera with their darling baby. Out of all your baby pictures, this will be an on-the-wall kind of print for sure.
14. Newborn Photography Baby in Hands Pose – Take some close-up shots of a newborn in their parent’s hands! This is a great way to show just how tiny they are in the beginning.
15. Lying Down with Newborn Pose Idea – Create a cozy and beautiful picture by lying down with your new bundle of joy!
16. Newborn Over Shoulder Pose Idea – Peek-a-boo! Place your newborn over your shoulder for a sweet newborn photography pose!
17. Newborn on Lap Pose Idea – Show off your newborn by placing them in your lap for some adorable newborn baby pictures. This simple pose leads to some beautiful pictures and is great for calming them if they’re not so keen on getting their picture taken.
18. Parents Looking Down at Newborn Pose – Here is another great pose idea that incorporates the new parents. Capture the emotions and love of the newborn’s mom and dad by having them look down at their new baby.
19. Lying on Back Pose – We love the simplicity of these photos! No props needed, just a sweet picture of a beautiful newborn.
20. Awake and Alert – Sleeping newborn photos are so sweet, but don’t underestimate the power of a darling, wide-eyed baby. Simply lay them on their back like the pose below, wait for the cute expressions, and you’ll soon have some darling newborn baby pictures.
14 Newborn Prop Ideas
With just one prop, there are dozens of newborn photography ideas to go with it! Props are a fun way to add personality and color to your baby pictures. Here are 14 props that are perfect for your newborn photography sessions.
21. Baskets and Crates – Baskets and crates are the PERFECT newborn photography prop, because they are so versatile. Plus, you can use it as a decoration or storage when you’re done!
23. All White Props – White props look clean and simple and help bring the focus to the cute, squishy baby. Try some white or neutral blankets, chairs, or frames in your newborn photos for a peaceful look.
24. Chairs – Chairs make a great, simple newborn prop–and you probably already have one you can use!
25. Flowers – Add some color and texture to your photos with real or fake flowers. So sweet!
27. Stuffed Animals – Including a favorite stuffed animal in photos has to be one of my favorite newborn photography ideas. Not only is the photo darling, a stuffed animal also makes for a great size reference in monthly or yearly photos.
28. Wedding Bands – Such a sweet idea, especially to frame next to a similar wedding photo!
29. Birth Stats Props – Such a fun and unique announcement idea–take your baby’s photo next to props with all their stats. You can use clocks, calendars, rulers, letter boards, or newspapers. You can also grab one of these darling milestone blankets for your monthly photos.
30. Hats, Bows, and Headbands – From a simple knitted cap to a fun character beanie, hats are a great way to spruce up your newborn photos! And as an added bonus, they help keep your newborn warm and cozy during their photo shoot. There are also SO MANY fun bows and headbands to add some style to your photos.
31. Stretch Wraps – Wraps are the perfect newborn photography prop because most babies like to be swaddled! Wrapping up a baby gives them a sense of comfort and security. Stretch wraps make a nice, clean, bunch-free swaddle for photos. (And pro tip: make sure your baby is naked and diaper free underneath–just get that diaper back on quick!)
32. Fall Props – If your baby is born during the fall season, grab some fun props like pumpkins, acorns, and cute knit hats for a special newborn photo session! This pumpkin outfit is too cute for words!
34. Christmas Props – If your baby is born during the Christmas season, grab some creative props like ornaments, Christmas lights, and cute knit hats for a special newborn photo session. This Christmas hat is begging for your baby!
5 Newborn At-Home Photography Tips and Ideas
There is something so beautiful and special about capturing a picture of a new life, especially in their own environment! Instead of using props and planned backgrounds, try incorporating the baby’s family and surroundings for a unique lifestyle approach to newborn pictures. Nothing is more precious than capturing the day-to-day moments in a baby’s life. On the flip side, a DIY photoshoot at home can turn out very professional and be just as magical with a few added touches!
35. In the Nursery -Capture the cuteness of your baby’s room by taking their photos in the nursery. Not only do you capture the sweetness of a newborn, but also the personality of the family in their environment.
36. On the Bed – A great way to get pictures of a family with a newborn is by photographing them on the master bed! It is a very personal space and also helps to show just how tiny the baby is!
37. In the Crib – A beautiful way to tell a story through newborn photography is by taking pictures of a baby in their crib! It’s moments like this when the statement “a picture is worth 1000 words” rings true.
38. On the Couch – Another intimate place to get a wonderful family picture with a newborn is on the couch! It is a great spot to get close and snuggle as a new family!
39. In the Rocking Chair – One of the great things about lifestyle newborn photography is you get the opportunity to document the family’s day-to-day activities with their newest addition! Don’t forget to document a parent rocking their newborn to sleep for a sweet memory!
6 Monthly Baby Photo Ideas
Capture the growth of your newborn with creative monthly baby photos! Here is a little creative inspiration for capturing your baby’s monthly milestones!
40. All About Baby Monthly Photos and Stats – Such a simple and sweet idea that you can customize with your own baby’s milestones–And you can design it all on your phone!
41. Unique Number Monthly Photos – These are so fun and creative! You can use different items for the seasons (think flowers in spring, eggs for Easter, ornaments for Christmas, etc.) or make the numbers out of the same thing each month.
42. Letterboard Monthly Update – This is such a cute idea for using a letterboard. I love that you can use a cute saying like this one, or write a short update for the month.
43. Stuffed Animal Growth Reference – Using the same stuffed animal in every monthly photo is a great way to show how much your baby grows over those first 12 months!
44. Milestone Photo Blanket – Grab yourself one of these darling blankets, and make milestone photos easier than ever! You can also use seasonal items to mark the numbers for extra cuteness.
45. Monthly Baby Photos in a Basket– Use the same basket, chair, or other prop to show baby’s growth over the first year–or even years to come!
6 Newborn Photography Tips and Tricks
Here are a few tips to help even the most novice of photographers capture some amazing pictures at home.
46. Beginner Photography Tips on Your Phone– Check out these beginner tips for taking better photos using your phone.
47. At-Home Newborn Poses– Read through this awesome article before your session for some more at-home newborn poses you can try.
48. Learning to Shoot in Manual– Do you have a DSLR camera, but you’ve never really known how to use it? Learn to shoot in manual with this guide, and your photos will look professional in no time!
49. Step by Step Guide to Newborn Photography – This guide has 77 tips for everything you need to make your photo shoot a success.
50. Ultimate DIY Newborn Photoshoot Setup Video– Finally, check out this awesome video. She walks you through everything you need to set up a gorgeous set in your home and even talks about posing! This is such a great way to get professional looking photos at home.
And there you have it–over 50 newborn photography tips to get you inspired!
Not quite ready for newborn photos? Check out our Maternity Picture Tips and Tricks!
Happy Picture Taking!