Tackling & Overcoming Pornography in your Family
Pornography is EVERYWHERE. It’s a little terrifying! It’s so easy for a curious child to accidentally encounter, and an easy trap for spouses to fall into as well. There are all sorts of levels of battling pornography, whether it’s preparing and teaching your children how to react when it pops up (and it’s definitely a WHEN, not an IF, they find it anymore!), helping a teen who feels guilty for something they’ve seen, struggling to free yourself from pornography or healing with a spouse or loved one who is caught in the web. It can seem daunting, hopeless and overwhelming BUT it doesn’t have to be! Although the internet can be a sleazy, slimy place, there is so much GOOD information out there to help you protect your marriage & family. We know this is a big issue for families today, and have gathered some amazing tools for overcoming pornography to help you fight this battle!
This post contains affiliate links. To learn more about ’em, click here.
There are lots of mixed messages in our society about pornography, but we stand by the research (discussed in the articles below) that viewing porn damages marriages, harms children and teens’ sexual development, causes binding addictions and breaks apart homes. Many of our readers write to us with heartbreaking stories seeking advice about how to repair a marriage torn apart by pornography. With the porn industry growing and easy access to the internet becoming more available, it seems inevitable that porn will creep its way into your family, one way or another. That’s all pretty grim sounding, but armed with the right tools, YOU can keep pornography out of your life, your marriage, and your home. The following is a giant list of websites, online communities, support groups, articles, blogs, videos, books and more to help you fight the battle against pornography. And this is a war you are going to WIN! We know it!
(A lot of these resources are Christian based, but we feel they can help anyone despite your religious beliefs. Furthermore, we occasionally reference the “LDS” Church and their resources, which stands for Latter Day Saints.)
We’ve broken things down into 5 sections:
- 20 Resources for Pornography Education and Information
- 10 Resources for Men Overcoming Pornography
- 10 Resources for Women Overcoming Pornography
- 15 Resources for Supporting a Spouse Who is Overcoming Pornography
- 25 Resources for Parents to Tackle Pornography in the Family
How do you fight against something you don’t understand? Not very well. Getting educated about the reality and dangers of pornography is the first weapon you have in defending your family. We gathered some of the best sources to provide you with the knowledge to tackle this head on. Knowledge is power!!
20 Resources for Pornography Education and Information
These sites and articles shed light on the harms of pornography and help you educate yourself and family. Included as well are general support groups and recovery programs.
1. How Pornography Effects Your Marriage – Great information and research from the Dating Divas (us!) about the effects of pornography on marriage, based on many of our reader questions.
2. Fight the New Drug – Pornography is our society’s new “drug” of choice. This anti-pornography movement discusses the harms of porn on the brain, relationships, and society, along with tools to fight back.
3. The Porn Effect – Dedicated to exposing the reality of pornography and ways to develop a battle plan against it.
4. End Sexual Exploitation – Discusses pornography as a public health crisis.
5. Cure the Craving – Online recovery resources and information for parents, spouse, and addicts.
6. Lifestar Network – Freedom and hope for anyone struggling to overcome an addiction to pornography.
7. Pornography 101 – Internet safety information to educate, equip, and empower families.
8. Why Porn Should Never Be Part of Your Marriage – Why pornography harms your marriage and intimate life, rather than enhances it, as many sources may claim.
9. The Real Cause of Addiction – Helpful article about addiction. Although this applies more specifically to drugs, it can be insightful to pornography as well.
10. Mending the Armor – An LDS-based recovery programs for pornography addiction.
11. Getting Help with Pornography – An article from LDS Family Services with steps to take to get help for a pornography problem.
12. Integrity Restored: Porn Addiction – Education, training, encouragement, and resources for breaking free and preventing pornography exposure through Christ.
13. Rowboat & Marbles – Essays of hope about recovery from porn and sexual addiction from an LDS recovering addict.
14. My House: Freedom from Pornography – A Catholic resource for stories, testimonies, and steps to gain freedom from pornography.
15. Hope and Healing – Support, information, help, and community for those who struggle or loved ones who battle a pornography addiction.
16. PornBattle – A leading online seminar for overcoming porn- restore your integrity and marriage.
17. Understanding Pornography and Sexual Addition – Free web book for parents and leaders from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
18. Overcoming Pornography – Thoughts on turning to Jesus Christ and finding the power to overcome pornography through his atonement.
19. He Restoreth My Soul – A Christ-centered book about understanding and breaking the chemical and spiritual chains of pornography addiction
20. LDS Reading List for Overcoming Pornography – A great list of books and articles to tackle sexual addiction.
Husbands, fathers, and men everywhere are pulled into the temptation of pornography, some are hooked from their early teenage years. These links provide recovery programs, support groups, and information specifically for men struggling with a porn problem.
21. Fortify Program – Fight the New Drug’s help program, designed by professionals including psychologists, neurologists, therapists and other mental health experts.
22. Men of Moroni – An LDS-based classes and support for husbands and fathers who struggle with pornography.
23. ProvenMen – A Christian men’s support group to overcome sexual addiction & pornography and find encouragement.
24. 3X Church – Christian information for filtering and blocking systems, online support groups and blog posts for men’s recovery help.
25. Elevated Recovery Youtube Channel – WA website, online courses & YouTube channel from a former pornography addict & licensed therapist.
26. Reboot Nation – Many resources and educational materials about the negative effects of pornography and how to start a “brain reboot” from porn.
27. For Married Men: Your Porn Habit is an Adultery Habit – A frank and honest article from the Matt Walsh blog about the relationship between pornography and adultery.
28. Is Porn the Same as Adultery? – This article outlines several ways pornography can cause your partner to feel betrayed and it’s emotional effects on men and women in marriages.
29. Dr. Doug Weiss Blog – This blog is full of articles on sexual addiction, including pornography, and steps to move forward to find healing.
30. Pure Eyes: A Man’s Guide to Sexual Integrity – In this book, Christian authors help men cope with sexual temptation, and help to find freedom to experience forgiveness and renewal.
10 Resources for Women Overcoming Pornography
Porn isn’t just a “guys” problem anymore. Many women struggle with pornography temptations and addictions, but the stigma that it’s “mainly a men’s issue” makes many women afraid to speak up and seek help. Gals, you are not alone! These stories, articles, recovery and support groups are here for you!
31. Dirty Girls Ministeries – The mission of this site is to break through the stigma that surrounds female porn & sexual addiction by creating safe spaces for women to find help, hope and healing.
32. Daughter’s of Light – LDS courses for women who struggle with sexual misbehavior including pornography, self-harming or other unhealthy behaviors.
33. Covenant Eyes for Women – Resources for women caught in the struggle of pornography including podcasts, articles, webinars, videos and more.
34. Beggar’s Daughter Blog – A former pornography addict shares her story through this blog and motivational public speaking.
35. 10 Truths About Women & Porn Addictions – An article providing education, statistics, and information specifically about women’s pornography issues.
36. My Difficult Struggle as a Female Porn Addict – An article from Fight the New Drug by a woman fighting against pornography, which sheds light on women’s struggles.
37. Two Womens’ Stories about Overcoming Pornography – An article sharing two LDS womens’ journeys to find freedom and healing from pornography.
38. It’s Not Just a Guys Problem – This site, the Porn Effect, has many articles specifically for women addressing porn addictions.
39. Christian Women and Porn – You are not alone if you struggle with pornography! A Christian woman’s website and book sharing her story and hope.
40. Beggar’s Daughter Book – This book shares a former pornography addict’s journey to finding forgiveness and grace.
15 Resources for Supporting a Spouse Who is Overcoming Pornography
When you find out a spouse has a pornography problem, it’s heartbreaking, devastating and painful. Many steps are required to heal yourself, and then to be strong enough to help your spouse and repair your relationship. These resources include support groups & programs, therapy recovery programs, articles, tips and books for those who have been hurt by a spouse’s pornography use.
41. Couples Against Pornography – Couples Against Pornography is a group dedicated to helping all couples understand and deal with pornography in their relationship.
42. Partner Hope – Authentic hope for betrayed partners who find their spouses experiencing sexual addiction.
43. Lifestar Network – Recovery and healing programs for spouses of pornography addicts.
44. Cure the Craving – Specifically for wives, healing your wounded heart will help you and your partner recover.
45. Blazing Grace for Wives – Healing for wives hurting from their husband’s porn use or adultery.
46. Integrity Restored: Spouses – Resources dedicated to protecting and healing marriages from pornography.
47. Reclaim Sexual Health – It’s very difficult to discover that your spouse is involved with pornography and this site has steps towards your own self-care and healing.
48. New Life Partners – an online, Christian resource and support group for women whose lives have been impacted by loved ones caught in the web of pornography.
49. Overcoming Pornography in Marriage – Dating Divas article addressing the question: What do you do after you discover there is a pornography problem in your relationship?
50. Finding or Giving Support in Recovery – An LDS Article on giving support through addiction recovery.
51. Drawing Together While Overcoming Pornography – An LDS article that addresses 6 tips to draw closer together in marriage while trying to overcome a pornography struggle.
52. To the Tender Wives – An LDS article touching on the principles of helping heal the broken hearts of wives.
53. Healing Concepts for Women Impacted by Pornography – An LDS article on 3 concepts that can help women heal when their spouse is struggling with a pornography problem.
54. What Can I Do About Me – Book that shines light on the darkness of pornography and sexual addiction, the trauma felt by loved ones, and the hope that recovery and peace are possible.
55. Pure Eyes, Clean Heart – Book about a couple’s story as the husband struggled with pornography addiction and how they found recovery through Christ.
25 Resources for Parents to Tackle Pornography in the Family
We won’t always be there to protect our children, and they WILL encounter pornography at some point or another. No beating around that bush! These resources offer ways to teach, protect and educate our children and teens. And if you have a child already caught in the trap, there are many resources for supporting them to recovery!
56. What Should I Do When I See Pornography? – Straightforward and non-threatening LDS video for children that teaches what pornography is and what to do about it.
57. Pure Hope: Quest Parenting Series – OAn online parenting series about how to talk with your children about sex and an overly sexualized culture.
58. My House: Safer Families – CA Catholic resource for protecting and teaching families, including articles and discussion topics.
59. Reclaim Sexual Health for Parents – Parenting training on effective ways to help a child caught in the trap of pornography, and how to avoid the approaches that can actually deepen the addiction.
60. Integrity Restored – Christian-based tips on protecting youth from the harms of porn and helping those who already struggle.
61. Kiddle Search Engine – A kid-geared search engine that allows children to use the internet without stumbling on inappropriate content.
62. Youtube Kids App – Let your kids enjoy Youtube videos without the fear of finding inappropriate or harmful content.
63. Parental Control Apps for Android – Parental control apps that are specifically for Android users.
64. How to Block Porn on Internet Connected Devices – Eight informative steps to help block internet pornography for your family.
65. K9 Web Protection – A free internet filter and parental control software for Windows or Mac computers.
66. 5 Parental Controls Apps to Help Safeguard Your Kids – Five reviewed and highly rated apps & programs for internet safety on your family devices.
67. Family Protector App – An app and monitoring service that allows parents to set age-appropriate limits, stop in-app purchases, and monitor online usage easily.
68. Cure the Craving – A free e-book that outlines a plan to help a struggling son or daughter move away from pornography with coping tools.
69. Helping your Teen Escape the Trap – A Christian article about the dangers and reality of pornography and how parents can help.
70. Helping Your Child Avoid the Pornography Trap – An article suggesting personal convictions to teach your children to help them protect themselves from pornography.
71. Creating A Safe Place to Talk About Dangerous Topics – An LDS Article with ideas on how to have an on-going conversation with kids about pornography and sex, and create a safe place for questions.
72. Teenagers and Pornography: Treating the Silent Epidemic – An article sharing information about the effects of pornography specifically on teenagers, and treatment tips from a counseling standpoint.
73. How Can I Teach My Kids About Pornography? – Five LDS family lesson topics for instructing your children in Family Home Evening.
74. Healthy Views On Sex – An LDS Article about how to make sex a special, sacred topic for you family.
75. Teaching Kids About Sex – A Dating Divas article helping you have the tools to talk to your kids about intimacy, helping prevent curiosity and giving them a safe place to come when they need help.
76. Good Pictures, Bad Pictures – A comfortable, read-aloud storybook about a mom and dad who teach their child what pornography is, why it’s dangerous, and how to reject it.
77. 30 Days of Sex Talks – This book makes it easy to engage your child in conversations about relationships, affection, anatomy, boundaries, predators, online dangers and many other vital topics, specifically for ages 3-7.
78. 30 Days of Sex Talks – This book makes it simple for you to discuss love, sex, changing bodies, as well as address dangerous messages from the media and various online sources, specifically for ages 8-11.
79. 30 Days of Sex Talks – This book discusses topics like creating healthy relationships, consent, social media, pornography exposure and emotional intimacy, specifically for ages 12 and up.
80. How to Talk to Your Kids About Pornography – A book that helps you prepare to have worthwhile, relevant discussions that help protect and prepare your kids.
There they are, your battle weapons! 80 of them! We hope you feel more educated, empowered and hopeful about tackling the tough topic of pornography in your family, and have found tools to help you or loved ones on the road to happiness and freedom.
Pornography isn’t a “fun” topic, and it isn’t fun to think about, but it’s one of those things we need to tackle head on. While gathering resources and writing this post, I was a little disturbed and alarmed at the prevalence of pornography in our society and how harmful it can be. It’s hard to swallow. Luckily, whatever your family’s situation, there is hope for you and your loved ones! Our children and marriages need to be fortified, and anyone struggling with this issue needs to understand that they can break free! So let’s get to work strengthening our families and marriages. We can do this!