St. Patrick’s Day Leprechaun Trap Ideas
We don’t know about you, but we LOVE finding ways to add magic to holidays. That being said, St. Patrick’s Day is no exception! This year, why not make St. Patrick’s Day extra exciting and create a fun new tradition or two? We recommend making leprechaun traps with your kids! And lucky for you, we’ve gathered some adorable and hilarious leprechaun trap ideas to make St. Patrick’s Day full of fun. However, just a small warning that leprechauns are VERY difficult to catch. Those sneaky little tricksters come out at night and always leave behind some tricks and mischief. That being said, we’ve included the best leprechaun trap ideas, leprechaun tricks, easy leprechaun traps, AND ideas for how to catch a leprechaun down below. Check them all out!
- Leprechaun Trap Ideas
- Bait Ideas for Leprechaun Traps
- Leprechaun Notes, Gifts, and Goodies
- Mischief Ideas for Leprechauns
- Leprechaun Stories
And don’t you worry! Additionally, we’ve included the links to each idea so that you can check out the blogger’s pictures and designs in full detail. Without a doubt, any of these ideas are so fun! We just can’t wait to have a leprechaun visit OUR house! 😉
Now, are you ready to jump into this mega list of leprechaun trap ideas and more? Go grab your kids, some craft supplies, lot’s of imagination, and let’s get started!
Creative Leprechaun Trap Ideas
In case it wasn’t obvious, creating a leprechaun trap requires some creativity. Below, we’ve compiled the best inspiration for creative, clever and out-of-the-box leprechaun trap ideas all for YOU. Not to mention, we’ve included EASY leprechaun traps so that you aren’t having to spend hours making one (who has time for that?!) On that note, scroll down below to get a taste of the best leprechaun trap ideas (including leprechaun trap kits!) and then get ready to put that creativity to work!
- Lego Leprechaun House – For this idea, simply use green Legos and make a tempting home to trap a leprechaun in!
- Rainbow Lego Stairs Trap – Sometimes a little more detail is nice. Use some colorful Legos to make a perfect staircase up to your trap.
- Lego Sign Trap – Talk about a cute accent! Make a taunting sign out of Legos that the leprechauns can’t resist!
- Green Duplo Trap – This idea is perfect for the younger kids! Simply fill a Duplo or Lego trap with other green items that leprechauns might want to get their sticky hands on!
- Painted Popsicle Stick Trap – In plain terms, this idea is a snap! First, use plain popsicle sticks to build a structure. Then, paint them for added effect! Because, a leprechaun always follows a rainbow, of course!
- Rainbow Popsicle Stick Trap – On that note, pre-colored popsicle sticks can come in handy and be used to make a darling rainbow trap as well.
- Shoebox Trap – Ahh. A classic leprechaun trap: a shoebox! Don’t forget to add a ladder!
- Secret Trap Door – Well, this extra touch is cuter than words! Dangle some bait with pipe cleaners over a hidden trap opening. Now that’s how to trap a leprechaun!
- Cereal Box Trap – We love this idea! Simply cut open a cereal box and prop it up with a stick. Then, tease the leprechaun with gold underneath.
- Tissue Box Trap – This is one of those EASY leprechaun traps we mentioned that is also SNEAKY! Using the hole in a tissue box, cover it up lightly so that the leprechaun falls right in. A tissue box is just the right size for a little leprechaun to get trapped inside!
- Plastic Pot Trap – Unfortunately, this link is no longer available 🙁 However, you can grab a green cauldron or another plastic container at the Dollar Store for this leprechaun trap idea and fill it with some gold coins.
- Oatmeal Container Trap – Cover an old oatmeal container with shiny gold paper and green gems. Without question, a leprechaun will want to come around to check things out (then you got ’em!)
- Gold Vault Trap – In our opinion, you can really use any type of tall canister for this Gold Vault leprechaun trap idea. However, the Crafting Chicks used an old Pirouette cookie can and it turned out perfectly!
- Rubbermaid Tub Trap – For a simple idea, simply lure them in with gold tinsel and trap them under a big tub!
- Laundry Basket Trap – Luckily, everyone has one of these lying around at home. Put it to good use for one of those easy leprechaun traps that everyone can appreciate!
- Tin Can Trap – Sadly, this link is no longer available 🙁 However, this is one of the most intricate leprechaun trap kits we’ve ever seen as it uses some physics and pulleys. Perfect for a little scientist!
- Strawberry Basket Trap – This idea has two benefits: First, it’s already green. Second, it’s perfectly sized. If you have a strawberry basket handy, then you’re set!
- 7-up Bottle Trap – This is one of the best leprechaun trap kits because everything you need comes in a bottle!
- Duct Tape Trap Door – Is it possible to use duct tape when creating easy leprechaun traps? Absolutely! Simply create a door using duct tape and instruct the leprechaun to push for gold!
- Bug Net Trap – Sadly, this link is no longer available 🙁 However, it works for catching bugs. So, why not leprechauns?
- Sticky Duct Tape – One step on this sticky trap and the leprechauns will be stuck for good!
- St. Patrick’s Day Hat Trap – Using a festive, green hat, lure a leprechaun up to the top and then trap ’em!
- Shoe and Slinky Trap – I love the creative use of an old shoe sprayed with metallic gold paint and a simple slinky toy. If you’re wondering how to trap a leprechaun, this is one creative idea!
- Rainbow Cake Layers – Nothing says “enticing” more than rainbow cake in a jar! Make some colorful layers of cake and put them in a cute jar to trap a leprechaun. Don’t forget a homemade pretzel ladder!
- Green Cake Trap – For this idea, make a bundt cake (or a circle cake with the middle cut-out) and top it with green frosting and gold coins in the middle. The leprechaun will, of course, fall right through the frosting trying to snatch the coins!
- Rainbow Twizzler’s Trap – Have any Twizzler’s laying around? If so, use some fun, bright Twizzler strings to create a ramp into a leprechaun trap.
Leprechaun Bait Ideas
Now that you’ve picked out one of the leprechauns trap ideas above to model your own after, you’ll need something irresistible to entice the leprechauns to fall into your snare! Now, remember that leprechauns are attracted to anything green, shiny or rainbow. Additionally, they can’t resist gold! On that note, here are some fun ideas for using bait inside your leprechaun trap. And by the way, don’t be surprised if a ton of leprechauns come running! 😉
- Leprechaun Hotel – Why not offer a leprechaun some luxurious lodging? BONUS: This is one of those easy leprechauns traps you can use for playing even after the holiday ends!
- End of the Rainbow Motel – Similarly, here’s a leprechaun trap bait idea that resembles that one above. It’s a motel at the end of the rainbow! Basically, no leprechauns will be able to resist the prospect of gold and a good night’s sleep! By the way, this link also has free printables!
- FREE Gold – How cute is this? To create it, just use Rolos or other gold-foiled chocolates to peak the leprechaun’s interest. Don’t forget the “Free Gold” sign!
- Golden Sparkle Slime – Well, we didn’t promise these ideas wouldn’t be messy! For this idea, make your own golden slime and stick some gold coins in it! The leprechauns will surely get stuck if they try to walk in it!
- No Leprechauns Allowed – Long story short, leprechauns can’t resist doing what they are told not to! This sign is a free printable as well!
- Barbie Kissing Booth – Okay, this is such a funny idea! Tempt the little leprechauns with a smooch from a pretty doll!
- The End of the Rainbow – So, leprechauns love to follow rainbows in hopes there is gold at the end, right? Simply place gold at the end of a DIY crafty rainbow! By the way, any kind of gold would work!
- Rainbow Restaurant – The creativity of this makes it one of our favorite leprechaun trap ideas! Design a Rainbow Restaurant using a Lucky Charms box, complete with an “All You Can Eat Lucky Charms” special!
- Mini St. Patrick’s Day Donuts – Without question, this idea is adorable! Make your own mini donuts (the perfect size for leprechauns) from Cheerios and icing. You can even use this printable to attach to a tiny donut box!
- Lucky Charms – Unfortunately, this link is no longer available. So sorry! However, you can find a similar idea in this round-up of FREE St. Patrick’s Day printables. And since a leprechaun’s favorite cereal is Lucky Charms, this idea is totally worth putting together! (Previously, this link included the darling free printable bag topper. Too bad it’s no longer an option!)
Leprechaun Gifts and Goodies
Without a doubt, leprechauns are clever and tricky. That being said, there is a high possibility they will escape your leprechaun trap! However, it’s important to keep in mind that they are very kindhearted little folks. Most likely, they will leave a treat or note behind after their visit (lucky you!) So, we not invite you to scroll down to check out our awesome ideas for leprechaun gifts and goodies that make children of any age click their heels with excitement!
- Leprechaun Poem – Here’s a fun little rhyme that explains how a leprechaun got away! To get your own copy, click the link to print the free printable!
- Leprechaun Letter – Then, here’s another clever note that kids will be excited to read. We love the leprechaun name suggestions!
- You Can’t Catch Me! – Enjoy this teasing printable card that’s left behind after some sneaky leprechaun tricks!
- Glitter Message – Again, we apologize for the potential mess! However, this leprechaun trick of leaving a message in green glitter is just too cool!
- Leprechaun Laughs – Enjoy some fun St. Patrick’s Day jokes among all the leprechaun tricks!
- Shamrock Clue Hunt– Shamrock clues are a cute way to get the kids excited! Use this clue hunt which sends the kids on a fun hunt for shamrock clues!
- St. Patty’s Scavenger Hunt– Undoubtedly, kids will enjoy a scavenger hunt above many St. Patrick’s Day traditions! But, this hunt is special because you can enjoy kid-friendly activities along the way!
- Gold Coin Hunt – Here’s a fantastic idea for kids to enjoy! First, hide 10 gold coins. Then, instruct the kids to find them in less than 10 minutes!
- Lucky Gold Coins – Make this yummy treat (with an adorable printable) to leave as a surprise goodie from the leprechauns!
- Green Goodie Baskets – Better yet, leave all sorts of green surprises in a fun green bucket! You can even buy a package of green goodies!
- Magic Leprechaun Rocks – If you want to amaze the kids with fancy leprechaun tricks, then here’s a good one! Create one of these magic leprechaun rocks that have gold hidden inside them. To reveal the contents inside, you simply dissolve them in vinegar.
- Leprechaun Putty – What’s green, sparkly, and fun to play with? Leprechaun putty goo that the kids will absolutely LOVE! Not only that, you could give these to your kids as mini leprechaun trap kits and see what they come up with!
- Lucky Penny – In all seriousness, everyone knows pennies are lucky. However, this one will be extra special if left by a leprechaun!
- Tiny Leprechaun Pants – While escaping, this little leprechaun lost his green pants! How cute is this idea?
- Leprechaun Droppings – If this doesn’t make you giggle, then we don’t know what will! Attach the cute printable poem to green jelly beans or other round candy to make a hilarious treat! Additionally, you could also include these leprechaun droppings in your leprechaun trap!
- Rainbow Treat – Truthfully, we love any candy. But, rainbow licorice and gold candy, packaged with a colorful printable tag, is our favorite!
- Rainbow Seeds – Darn! Looks like this link is no longer available 🙁 However, Skittles are perfect “Rainbow Seeds” and would make a darling leprechaun treat! So cute, right?
- Edible Gold – Let the kids think they’re eating real gold with this cute idea! Attach the printable to a bag of corn pops and make a yummy golden snack!
- Lucky Charms for Breakfast – Without a doubt, this leprechaun goodie idea is easy AND convenient! It’s simply a box of Lucky Charms which the leprechauns could leave as a surprise breakfast at the end of a paper rainbow!
- St. Patty’s Krispie Treats – Shamrock-shaped Lucky Charm Krispies = YUM! And, don’t forget to make these the perfect shape with a shamrock cookie cutter.
- Leprechaun Bark – Ready for a truly delicious leprechaun treat? Try this delicious green mint chocolate bark!
When leprechauns visit, they love to pull pranks and tricks. Those pesky little buggers! From green bathwater to green hair, here are some hilarious ideas for leprechaun tricks that you should try out on your kids this year! Not only that, but you should also try a few out on your spouse, too! Each of these ideas would pair well right next to a leprechaun trap because it only makes sense that a leprechaun leaves their mark as they try to run away! Check these out!
- Green Footprints – Oh darn! Unfortunately, this link is no longer available 🙁 Although, in case you didn’t know, leprechauns leave tiny green footprints wherever they go. So, try out this idea by using some washable green paint!
- Green Faucet Trick – This idea is pure magic! Watch your kids go nuts when they turn on the sink and the cup fills with green water. Whoa!
- Mirror Writing – Oh rats! Sadly, this link is no longer available 🙁 However, here are some easy instructions! Take a green erase marker and leave a message on the bathroom mirror!
- Windshield Rainbow – Well, this idea is sure colorful! Start your wipers St. Patrick’s Day morning and a rainbow magically appear!
- Green Lighting – This is one of our favorite leprechaun tricks! To pull it off, all you do is switch out regular light bulbs for green ones!
- Green Toilet – So, how about a fun surprise when the kids wake up to use the bathroom? This idea is a classic!
- Green Bath Tub – Oh darn! This link is no longer available 🙁 But looks like the leprechauns enjoyed a nice bath before they left though! For this cute idea, make sure to get some removable shamrock stickers and bath color drops.
- Green Balloon Bath – Or, you could also create footprints and throw green balloons in the tub for a cute leprechaun trick!
- Lego Rainbow – It appears the leprechauns got into the Legos at this house and left a Lego rainbow with a pot of gold at the end!
- Green Silly String – Unfortunately, this link is no longer available 🙁 But, after escaping a leprechaun trap, leprechauns like to spray them with silly string!
- Green Door Barricade – Your kids will have to break through green streamers to get out of their rooms on St. Patrick’s Day!
- Giant Rainbow – Shoot! This link is no longer available. However, you could easily recreate the idea of leprechauns making a big rainbow of streamers and balloons in your house!
- St. Patty’s Day Tattoos – For a fun and easy trick idea, put temporary tattoos on your kids’ arms while they sleep (done by the leprechauns, of course.)
- Green Hair – Wow! This boy woke up with green hair on St. Patrick’s Day. Without question, it was those sneaky little leprechauns!
- Green Shoelace Replace – Fair warning! Your shoe might end up with some new laces on St. Patrick’s Day due to this little trick!
- Green Milk – Here’s a classic leprechaun trick: dying the milk green!
- Magic Color Change Cool Whip – In our opinion, cool whip is a yummy topping for St. Patrick’s Day pancakes or waffles. However, this tricky idea makes it even better! Once you mix it up, it magically turns green!
- Green Oreos – Uh oh! Be careful! The leprechauns might try to trick you by putting mint Oreos in a regular Oreo package!
Books About Leprechaun Traps and More
First off, telling your kids about leprechauns and their tricks is great. However, wouldn’t it be even better to READ to them about it? On that note, get them excited and introduce them to the magic of the St. Patrick’s Day’s tricksters with these stories. Below we’ve found some adorable books all about how to trap a leprechaun, leprechaun traps, and magical leprechauns who save the day! Without a doubt, both you and your kids will love these!
- Leprechaun On The Loose – This adorable story is all about a leprechaun that gets loose at school!
- The Leprechaun Trap – Read what happens when this family creates a trap to try and catch a leprechaun and get his gold!
- The Story of the Leprechaun – In this story, a greedy man who tries to steal some leprechaun gold. Read how he gets out-smarted!
- The Leprechaun in the Basement– In this one, find out what happens when a little boy finds a leprechaun in his basement!
- Traveling Tom & the Leprechaun – Well, Tom is in love. But, in order to win the girl’s heart, he has to get a pot of leprechaun gold. Will he be able to get trick the leprechaun and steal the gold?
- That’s What Leprechauns Do – Besides burying pots of gold, what else do leprechauns do? Make mischief, of course!
- The Leprechaun’s Gold – This story is all about an Irish legend of two competing musicians and a tricky leprechaun. One of our favorites!
- The Leprechaun Under the Bed – As you can probably imagine, a leprechaun tries to build his home under the bed. What do you think happens?
- The Night Before St. Patrick’s Day – This book is a fun twist on the Night Before Christmas poem. Basically, it’s about setting leprechaun traps, how to trap a leprechaun, and getting ready for St. Patty’s Day!
- The Leprechaun Who Lost His Rainbow – In this cute story, a little girl helps her leprechaun friend find his rainbow and save the St. Patrick’s Day Parade!
Ok, aren’t you just SO excited about all of these adorable ideas? We sure are! Undoubtedly, the hard part is going to be picking which ones to use, right? Hopefully, you are inspired to make this St. Patrick’s Day a hilarious and memorable day for your family with lots of leprechaun fun!