Creative Long Distance Anniversary Tips
Anniversaries are all about celebrating the love you share with your spouse. Unfortunately, for many, there are situations that don’t allow you to be with the one you love. The Divas wanted to be able to find long-distance anniversary ideas for those of you that are apart during your special day. We found some amazing, fun, and creative ways to be able to celebrate with your spouse, even if you aren’t PHYSICALLY able to be together! We have compiled great long distance anniversary gifts as well as activities that will make you feel close and connected despite the distance.
Long Distance Anniversary Gifts
When you have to be apart on your anniversary you can still find ways to make it meaningful and memorable. One great way to do that is by finding and creating the perfect long distance anniversary gift. We have several ideas that will make your sweetie swoon–no matter how many miles away they are! So grab a pen and write down your favorite long distance anniversary ideas. Your spouse will thank you for it!
- Birthday Balloons – Now, don’t let the title throw you off. Yes, the original idea was used for a birthday, but that doesn’t have to be its only use! She’s Crafty filled some latex balloons with money and sent them across the country. What’s great about this is the package was LIGHT, which means it’s CHEAP to ship! She’s Crafty sent money, but don’t just stop there. You can put SO many things in these balloons… your spouse’s favorite candy (or a variety of candy), a love poem, a love note, small toys, snacks, etc. Have fun with it and be creative thinking up your own long distance anniversary ideas to put inside!
- Framed Keys – Frame keys from each of the places you have lived in together. This will create a memorable and sweet way to remind both of you how special the homes you shared together are. Young House Love came up with this perfect long distance anniversary idea. She surprised her hubby with a shadow box filled with keys to all the places he had lived since they began dating. Now, if you are like me, you might have to scramble to find some of those keys; but think how perfect it would be for a spouse that was away from home to be able to hang this on their wall and have a key to home, even if they aren’t there.
- Match the Memory – Play the kid game “Memory” using your own personalized pictures of you and your family. This is absolutely PERFECT for a traveling/away spouse. They get to play a game of “Memory” while looking at their loved ones they are away from. What makes it an even better treat is that he/she can make one for you too so you both can enjoy seeing each other’s faces!
- Sunshine in a Box – This is such a cute long distance anniversary idea. It is an easy and cute way to send your love some sunshine AND smiles! I love that everything is yellow, bright, and cheery! Sometimes when you are away from the one you love on your special day, you can get real gloomy. If you received this in the mail, how could you not help but SMILE and have a wonderful day?!
- Love Glove – What better way to say I LOVE YOU, then with an actual I love you symbol? Inkablinka created a perfect and easy love symbol when she made this Love Glove. She took a pair of gloves and sewed them into the Sign Language symbol I love you. You can ‘dress’ this up by adding a cute embellishment of your name and a love note. This is just too cute!
- Long Distance Hug – When you are away, don’t you sometimes just want a hug? Me too! Pure Joy found a perfect way to do just that! This was made for Grandma’s and Grandpa’s, but why not make it for your spouse for your anniversary? It’s all made from paper, you write a love note, and give them a hug from the mail. It’s cute and your spouse will just love it!
- Google Envelopes – For those of us that express how we feel through letters, this idea is perfect for you. This is your chance to let your spouse know how much you truly LOVE using your own words – on paper. Crazy concept, right? Writing a HAND written letter? Nowadays who does such a thing? Google created an awesome envelope that you can print out at home and put your letter in. It shows where BOTH of you are! Just one little ‘extra’ to make this gift amazing!
- Map Envelope – Enter in your location, write a customized message and then print out an envelope to mail your message. You can fill the envelope with a letter, pictures, poems, etc. it’s a great way to let your loved one know you are thinking about them and that you love them.
- Tiny Package – Send a teeny tiny surprise in the mail. A little box will cause your spouse’s eyebrows to raise. As far as long distance anniversary ideas go, this one is cute, clever, and will show just how big your love is!
- Matching Bracelets – These compass bracelets are the perfect long distance relationship anniversary gift! The quote is so sweet and sums up your love.
- Talsam Charms – This technologically-powered jewelry line is the coolest! One person wears the charm, which connects to an app to send and receive messages. When you get a message, the charm lights up and vibrates. This physical connection will absolutely help with the distance!
Clever Gift Ideas
If you are on the hunt for long distance anniversary ideas, you’ve landed in the right place! Since you cannot be together to celebrate this special day, you need to get or do something special so that the day doesn’t just pass by like every other day! Finding a gift that is clever, unique, and as sweet as your spouse is so important! Since you are far apart, that is all the more reason to make sure your gift makes them feel loved.
- Clever Cards – These cute, and witty cards are such a great way to show your spouse you have been thinking of them. Scroll through to see which would be best as a long distance anniversary gift.
- Memory Jar – Write down memories of times you were together, roll them up, and tie them with a bow. Next, combine them in a jar. When your spouse picks out each paper they will be reminded of your best, happiest times together.
- DIY Leather Keychain – Make a special little something that your spouse can carry with them everywhere they go. They will look down and be reminded of you. I think you get extra bonus points for making it with your own two hands!
- Custom Star Map – Have a map of the stars made. A custom map can be made with the stars in place exactly as they were on the night of your anniversary.
- Home Portrait – Remind your spouse of the place where they are the most loved–your home. Give them a long distance anniversary gift that makes them feel all of the warm fuzzies.
- Peg Doll – Make a little peg doll of yourself! This will take a little crafting, but how cute will it be for your spouse to receive a little version of you in the mail.
- Name Bracelet – Give a personalized gift that will help him feel you close, even though you’re far away. Have your name engraved on this personalized bracelet.
- Matching Underwear – You may be miles apart, but you can still share something intimate–your underwear! Buy matching underwear for you and your spouse to match.
- Framed Map – Use this cute quote on a personalized map with each of your locations circled. You could easily turn this into a DIY project if you have a little extra time on your hands.
Celebrating your anniversary while you are not together can be an awful feeling. However, it doesn’t have to be. Make an effort to still make it special with one of these long distance anniversary gifts. If you take the time to find long distance anniversary gift ideas that will make your spouse feel loved from miles away, your anniversary can still be a special, memorable day.
- Miles Apart Keychain – Personalized with the exact distance apart you are, this keychain is a perfect reminder that you love your spouse no matter how many miles are between you.
- Long Distance Jar – Make a jar that is filled with different kinds of color-coded notes for each day you are apart. It will be a fun way to feel close on your anniversary even though you’re far away.
- Make a Mixtape – Also known these days as a CD, or playlist. Make a playlist of songs that remind you of your spouse. Music has a way of making your heart swoon.
- Personalized Pillow – Give your spouse a pillow that will remind them of you every time they lie down their head at night.
- Make a Journal – Make a scrapbook or journal with little pieces that will remind you both of your favorite days together.
- Open When Letters – Prepare a letter for every upcoming event or feeling that will come up. Your spouse will have a sweet letter ready at the exact moment they need it. I can’t think of a better long distance relationship tip!
- Care Package – Use these themed printables to create the perfect long distance care package. This kit has everything you need to create the perfect anniversary package.
- Plan a Long Distance Date – What could be a better long distance relationship idea than creating a perfect date night! This post has all the details for preparing a date when you are both far away!
- Donut Delivery – Have a sweet treat delivered with this cute note. Your spouse will feel so loved, and their stomach will thank you too!
- Marriage Book – Buy each of you a copy of a marriage book and give your relationship the gift of improvement! You can both read along together and discuss it on the phone together.
Long Distance Relationship Ideas
Aren’t all of these long distance anniversary ideas perfect?! We think so, too! We want ALL of our readers to feel included in this special celebration, even if you can’t physically be in the same place. Anniversaries can/should be celebrated no matter how many miles apart you are! We are excited that there are SO many ideas and sites dedicated to ‘bridging’ the gap for couples who have to be apart!
And if you’re in a long distance relationship- you should totally check out our Long Distance Love Kit! It’s packed full! Including a long distance relationship care package, long distance date in a box, a countdown tracker, long distance prescription gift, AND some long-distance romance tips! CHECK IT OUT!
Okay SO many of these are great ideas for when I am away from hubs (we aren’t long distance but still)
These are great!
Great ideas!! I know I’d love getting them!
This post will be so helpful for many that have loved ones serving our country and away from their loved ones. Thanks for your creative ideas. I will be using some of these ideas for my son that will be serving a two year mission. Thank you!
Helloo..these r all great ideas?but can u help me..I’m a great fan of a kpop group and their anniversary is coming..we need some ideas to celebrate it..can u help me? Thank you
Hi Meghna, we have SO many anniversary ideas! I am not sure how you would celebrate the Kpop anniversary but some of the ideas in this post could be converted. Maybe get tickets to their concert or create a playlist and have a little personal in-home concert one night! You could do this but modify it for everything Kpop. https://www.thedatingdivas.com/anniversary-countdown/
Do you know if google envelopes is still available? I couldn’t find it anywhere.
Do you know if google envelopes is still available? I can’t find it anywhere.
Liza- I’m sorry that you are having a hard time! If you click on the link that I have above, the link takes you to the site you need to make your envelope. They do the work for you. Good luck!
I never see any ideas for my particular situation, a husband who is far awway in prison. Prisons are so restrictive and I can’t visit or send photos printed off the computer. Got any ideas for us prison spouses?
These are great ideas for long distance relationships. I printed out the map envelope and it is a such a cute idea. Thanks for sharing ways to stay connected despite the distance.
Erin- you are MOST welcome. I am so glad that you were able to use them!
I love this site, love your creative ideas, my bfs birthday is coming up and i am out of country in india, he is in new york, i was thinking of the balloon idea, but was wondering if balloons will flatten or burst in the process of shipping? Please let me know! Thank you <3 n keep posting!
Barbie-I am sorry I am slow in response. I don’t know if balloons pop or not in the mail. Sorry I am not much help. Glad you found an awesome idea for him though :).
These are so creative 🙂 I especially like the little balloons, adorable!
Oh my heck! These are adorable! I’m not apart from my spouse, but I tell ya, I’m going to use some of these just because they are so awesome! The sunshine in a box for a bad day or the balloons full of money just to make his day! lol.
@Kari- wouldn’t it be awesome to send your hubby one of these in the mail so he would get a nice surprise as he got the mail. Perfect for Father’s Day too!
Oh, I love these! I’ll be using some of them real soon!
@Erika- I’m sure you could use some of these over the holidays especially. I LOVE the balloons idea!
@Acts of Love – I am SO glad you agree that these ideas are awesome! Enjoy!
Such GREAT ideas! I am in love with those envelope ideas! Genius!! xoxo
I know, didn’t the girls come up with amazing stuff? Can’t wait to be able to use these for family members someday!