March 12, 2012

Family Date Night!

Corie-FamilyDateNight-Pinterest

I love to go on dates with my husband, however, I also love to have Family Date Night!  We try to do this at least once a month.  My kids will do or help with just about anything to earn this special night.

At the beginning of the week, I give each child an envelope. Then, they get to decorate and write their name on the envelope. This envelope is like a wallet. Throughout the week, I give my kids tickets each time they are helpful or do their chores.

Once Family Date Night arrives, they get to redeem their tickets for popcorn, drinks and movie treats. I soon learned what drinks and candy my kids would go for.

Before the movie starts, we have a “Make Your Own Pizza” bar.  We each like our pizza a different way, so we have a lot of fun making our pizzas just how we like them!

In addition to the “Make Your Own Pizza” station, we make donuts! For Christmas, we received an awesome donut maker. I have seen donut makers at Kohls, Target and Wal-Mart. You can create donuts in literally a matter of minutes!  After we make the donuts, we set up a station for frosting and decorating!

Once the food is created,  the kids buy their treats and then it is time for the movie!

All in all, this special date night costs around $10 and the memories last forever!

56 Responses to “Family Date Night!”

1. Stacey says:

Our favorite family fun night activity is actually our Friday night pizza & movie nights. We order pizza & breadsticks, let our 3-year-old choose the movie, & hunker down all cozy like on the couch!! A more recent favorite is a Tuesday (first 3 ounces free!) trip to our local self-serve yogurt bar. Our daughter loves that she can create her own treat!!

2. jaime says:

We love games, and snuggling!!!

3. Lori says:

Our favorite family activity is bike rides, strap the kids in the bike trailer & listen to them giggle. We also lovelove board games!

4. Allison F. says:

We love to play games and watch movies!

5. Lindsey Gump says:

We love doing fun things outdoors and also turning these date night ideas into family fun. We did a taste of India theme night and I got to teach my son about India and later enjoyed mom and dad date night. Thank you for the great ideas. I have used many in a date night ministry at church.

6. Pam says:

Bowling or Hiking, it’s a toss up :)

7. Katie Hamblin says:

Kickball in the summer and ping pong in the winter:)

8. Katie Hamblin says:

Kickball in the summer and ping pong in the winter

9. Camille says:

We love to play “restaurant”. I will make a menu of all our left overs and dress up silly to be the waitress. then my hubby will bring the kids in. they color while they wait for the salad and oder whatever they want from the menu. It is always a good time.

10. Laura says:

Our favorite family fun night activity is actually a morning activity. Saturday mornings have become sacred lazy mornings that we protect heavily. We all curl into one bed and read books together, talk about our favorite (or not so favorite parts) of the week before having a ‘make-your-own-meusli’ bar with fresh fruit for breakfast. We work hard to have most (if not all) the chores done on Friday so that we can enjoy a relaxing Saturday morning together, even our little toddler gets excited about it!

11. For Valentine’s Day we did Mission Fam-Possible. I created spy-related games. Like we all had nerf guns and could shoot each other and take prisoners. I strung crepe paper across a hall and we pretended they were lasers and we had to go from one end to another without tripping the laser (which resulted in owing a chore). We had a special item “stolen” that we had to recapture and the whole house was an obstacle course of pillows, balls, blankets, toys, up-turned furniture, etc. Oh, and we did the whole thing in the dark with only our head lamps. We had such a great time and once we “captured” our family heart, we ate pink heart-shaped pancakes with strawberries for dinner.

12. Sara says:

WE love Nerf night. We have a dozen or so nerf guns and we hid them around the house. Then we start the battle. Our two and six year olds love it.

13. Melissa shipman says:

We love to to have bbqs and bonfires!

14. Gretchen says:

We love to do outdoor things, but also going to historic places and learning new things.

15. rachel houts says:

We love to play family board games…friendly competition! :)

16. Julie Gayler says:

We love to go up in the mountains for a picnic to get away from the city and run around outside.

17. Tessa says:

we love to hang out and watch movies. I like to make food that might match the movie as well

18. Janell says:

One of my favorites (and one we are doing this weekend) is our inside-camp-out. We make tinfoil dinners in the oven, then smores, and make our tent in the living room while we play card games. Cheap, and super fun!

19. Mariloon says:

My 2 little girls love to play hide and seek. My husband and I pretent to not be able to find them. We all have a blast.

20. amy Wright says:

Bowling!

21. taxitam says:

This sounds fun! Better than our usually Family Fun Friday where we make homemade pizza & watch a video. Do any of you creative readers have ideas for a date for a mom with her 12 year old son?

22. LaVonne says:

Corie ! What is your chocolate donut recipe?
    I just got a donut maker, love this family date night idea! :)

23. Mat says:

This is a very cool idea and very creative too. We have recently started dedicating some fun “date” times with out kids. Always good to see fresh ideas. Keep up the good work!

24. SUSAN says:

our family date is always play in the park or camping or swimming. always outdoor so this is a good idea for us.

25. Sunshine Ray says:

My boys would love this and I’d love it as well because they’d have fun doing chores to earn their tickets.

lexmallabooks.com/?p=8