September 16, 2013

The ULTIMATE Amazing Race Group Date Night

Sarina-AmazingRace-PInterest

My husband and I LOVE to travel and so when we first watched the reality show The Amazing Race, it quickly became one of our favorites! We love seeing all of the different countries and the challenges that match the various cultures. Using the help of our fabulous Diva Designer Sameeha – I put together a group date night to play your very own version of The Amazing Race right in your hometown! We have everything (and I mean EVERYTHING!) you need to put together your own competition. Just invite your most adventurous friends, print off the clues and let the race begin!

Here Is What the Set Includes:

Here is what the Fabulous Sameeha from The Inked Leaf included in the packet:

Sarina-TheAmazingRace-Collage1-3blue

1. Invitations - Send these to your lucky guests!
  2. Envelope Covers - These are made JUST like the ones on the show (with our own Diva flair of course!)
  3. FlagsMark specific sites you want your contestants to go (if you do your own version) OR you can use these to put in each of the vehicles participating in the race!

Sarina-AmazingRace-Collage3-6

1. Final Pit Stop Mat – In the show, the contestants race to the final finish line: the Pit Stop Mat. Sameeha created 2 sizes for you. The first is made to print on a normal 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper, the second is if you would like to print up to a 16 x 20 inch mat.
  2. Route Info - A list of the rules for the game to hand out to your guests when they arrive.
  3. The Clues – The kit includes a set of clues that should work in just about any town, as well as blank cards in case you want to create your own. We thought of everything for ya!

Sarina-TheAmazingRace-Collage7-9

1. Name Cards -  With a variety of colors you can print these on to sticker paper and voila! – you have a name tag for each of your contestants. For extra fun – assign each team their color in advance and have them come wearing that color!
  2. Water Bottle Labels - I told you we thought of everything! Surely your guests will need to quench their thirst while out on the road. With these cute labels you can make even a plastic water bottle fit the theme!
  3. Food label Flags - I wanted to have some sweets and treats waiting for my guests at the finish line. Take these labels, wrap the end around a toothpick and whatever you decide to serve will have some Amazing Race Flair!

Possible Additional Materials Needed:

• Each team will need to have a vehicle to transport them around town.
  • Some clues require the contestant to take a picture as proof. If you choose to use those clues, make sure each team member has a digital camera!
  • 3 of the clues require a small cost to complete (total less than $5.00). You could easily omit these clues and have a completely free date night or let your guests know they should be prepared to spend up to $5.00.
  • Balloons. One of the challenges involve the team having 2 balloons (the kind that clowns use to make animals and such). If you choose to use this date you could have them find them on their own, or you might want to provide them in the envelope. It is up to you! After having hosted this date I can tell you that you definitely want to get the balloons that are specifically made for twisting such as these ones HERE.  If not, your players may have an EXTRA hard challenge but some GREAT stories! We certainly did!

The Set up

Prepare The Invitations!

Sarina-AmazingRace-picture1LOGO

After choosing your lucky guests, just fill out the details of your date and send!

On Your Mark: Write the date of your event

Get Set: What time you want your guests to arrive

Go: The location of your event

Depending on which clues you choose to do, you might also want to let your guests know that they will need their own vehicle, a digital camera, and $5.00. Also – if you want each team to have coordinating colors this would be a good time to let them know which color they should wear.

Prepare The Clues:

Sarina-AmazingRace-picture9LOGO

To make my clue cards, I printed the envelope covers unto sticker sheets and then placed those onto 6×9 inch envelopes. I then placed each of the clues inside and made bundles so each team had one of each clue.

For YOUR date – you can decide which clues you want to do or even create your own! The set includes 6 clues (3 Detours and 3 Roadblocks) but you can mix and match as much as you want. I had to take one clue out when I hosted this because there wasn’t a location nearby that they could compete their clue! Good thing I checked before!

Sarina-AmazingRace-CollageGnomes

ALSO – if you want a completely FREE date night use only the yellow Detour clues!  But if your competitors are up for spending a little cash (no more than $5.00), then you can include the red Road Block clues as well.

Final Preparations:

You can always just print the clues and play, but with a little more effort you can have a full display! Here are a few more things you can do to add to the theme!

Sarina-AmazingRace-picture10LOGO

For my date night, I decorated our main table with a layout of all the clues, the name tags, but also some decor and treats! I used my nifty hot glue gun to attach the water bottle wraps to the drinks. I found a Gnome (similar to the Travelocity Gnome from the show) at my local garden store and used him to prop up the rule cards. I also got red and yellow balloons (the color of the markers on the show) and a globe.

Sarina-AmazingRace-picture8LOGO

For treats, I used this recipe to make these earth cupcakes. I particularly loved the heart in the middle since this was for a couples date night. I took the food flag printable and glued them on the toothpicks to top the cupcakes off!

Time To Play!

Sarina-AmazingRace-picture11LOGO

When I needed adventurous friends to come race with me – I looked to my fellow Divas! It was a very competitive group with LOTS of spunk! Aren’t they fierce?

When your guests arrive you will want to explain the rules and hand out clues.

Some helpful hints:

• You may choose to take their cell phones away so that they aren’t tempted to google clues or ask Siri!
  • It would be a good idea to have a set time that everyone returns, regardless if they are done with clues or not. Just in case you have some very delayed players!

After Party

Sarina-AmazingRace-picture12LOGO

Finally, as all of your guests return and step onto the final pit stop mat you will want to hear all their fun stories, but also see all of their items they brought back as proof. You can also eat sweets and watch an episode of the actual show while you wait for the others to return.

You can determine the prize. For ours – our winners Nisha (disclaimer: who recently had baby hence the adorable picture!) and her husband Adam took home the “Travelocity” Gnome. I am sure that it is a prized possession and probably has a center place on their mantel at home. Isn’t that what you would do with a winning gnome?

Get Everything Here!

Sarina-AmazingRace-picture15&PinterestLOGO

On your mark, get set, GO!!!! Start inviting all of your friends because this is a group date night they will be talking about for a LONG time!

Ultimate Amazing Race Group Date Night

If you LOVED this, we have some other fun group date nights based off of famous t.v. shows that you might enjoy! Check out The Price is Right  and Minute to Win It. PLUS – we have 2 other version of the Amazing Race: The Amazing Race Valentine Edition and The Amazing Race Mall Edition

32 Responses to “The ULTIMATE Amazing Race Group Date Night ”

1. Becca Becca says:

Oh my goodness Sarina- I LOVE this! Especially all of the printables. You did all of the work for us!! This looks like a blast- totally doing it!!

2. Lauren says:

This looks fun…it’s our favorite reality show too! But a logistical question: if you are planning and hosting the date, are you note participating? Thanks!

• Tara Tara says:

Lauren – when we played, Sarina & her hubby just set things up & didn’t play…. however, you can do it so that siblings, friends, family members, parents, etc are the ones who set it up so all the couples can play.

• Nisha Nisha says:

Correct – Sarina and her hubby didn’t participate. I think the only way around that is to have someone else print out the clue cards for you and hide them in the envelopes.

• Sarina Sarina says:

Lauren – It totally depends. I preferred to just host it rather than try to play as well. If you wanted to you could still race and just realize that you have an advantage because you have seen the clues before, but it is still a competition to complete the challenges! I would just suggest having everyone meet back at a place that they don’t have to wait for you to be there to open the door!

This was such a fun night! Thanks again for putting this together, Sarina!! XOXO

4. Julie Julie says:

WOW!!! You really did think of everything! This looks like such a fun date night and Sameeha did an amazing job on the printables:)

5. I just wanted to let all of the ladies (and men) that read about this date to know that it was a BLAST! If you are worried that the guys may not like it, I can tell you from experience that all of the guys who went on this date LOVED IT! One of the things that made it a lot of fun was that we were able to enjoy time alone with our spouse/date and time with our friends–the best of both worlds in one date! The Dating Divas have prepared everything for you to host an awesome date for your friends. My wife and I are looking forward to hosting this for our friends. Since we all have children, we will also have their kids come and play with ours as we host the event. I think the kids will enjoy the night just as much as the adults! PRINT IT, PLAN IT, DO IT, LOVE IT!!!

• Sarina Sarina says:

Russell – You are so nice! It was a fun night and I agree – EVERYONE had a blast. How fun to incorporate kids into it. That adds a whole new spin. Love it!

6. Nisha Nisha says:

Where is the disclaimer that NIsha just had a baby and that might be the most terrible photo of her in existence?! FUNNEST DATE NIGHT EVER THOUGH! Sarina and her hubby are the bomb for putting this together. And that cute gnome is hanging on my kitchen counter – love it!

7. Michelle Michelle says:

Girl, you thought of everything in this date!!! I am so sad my hubby had to go and have stones and ruin all of my wonderful plans, lol! Anyway I love this, this is going to the top of my list! xox

8. Tamara says:

This looks fabulous, I was thinking I might be able to tweak it a bit for my birthday party, I have the big 40 coming up.
    Unfortunately I live in Australia so half of those clues are not relevant to us…
    Cute idea but it wont work for me :(

• Tamara says:

Opps that didn’t come out right.

Not unfortunately I live in Australia, because I’m very fortunate to live in Australia.
      I meant Unfortunately, as I live in Australia half the clues aren’t relevant…

• Sarina Sarina says:

What a fun thing to do for a birthday party! Even if the clues don’t exactly fit – there are blank clue cards included in the kit so you can make all of your own clues and still use everything else. Happy Birthday!

9. Hayley says:

Is there a way to edit the items – type on the blank clue cards. Change small things? I would love to do this for my husbands 40th birthday rather than a date night.

10. Carol says:

I know it’s dumb to be picky, but it should read “Pit Stop” instead of “Pittstop”. I’m an Amazing Race nerd :)

11. Karina Moore says:

hey, this looks super fun! i really want to do this one; i’m SURE my husband will love it!

12. Amy says:

This is just the most amazing group date idea ever!!!!!
    I have a question. I have never seen the show, so that may be my problem! Does each team get four envelopes? One roadblock, pit stop, and detour? Or do they get 10, one rules and all three detour, roadblock, and pit stop cards? Thank you! I cannot wait to start planning this!!!

• Sarina Sarina says:

Good questions Amy! With the roadblocks and detours your can choose to do all of them or just your favorites. Because I didn’t have one of the locations near my town I took one road block out. You can adapt to your own date! If you were to do every card (and why not? More fun!) you would want 7 envelopes: the 3 detours, the 3 roadblocks & the 1 pit stop. On the pit stop one I wrote: “open last” and let them take any of the others in any order. I handed them their rule card when we went over rules and did not put it in an envelope. I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

13. Emily says:

My husband I held our own Ultimate Amazing Race Group Date/Party last night using the materials and ideas provided here. We had 11 couples competing and we all had a blast! Fun stories to tell and so much laughter was just what we needed! Thank you so much!

14. Staci Langford says:

I used this Amazing Race date idea last weekend, and it was great! Even though I hosted, my husband and I still played (I let him pick and do everything since I knew all the clues.)

A few suggestions if you plan this date:

1. I wasn’t able to use all the Detours and Road Blocks. We did the Slurpee, Check In or Check Out, and the license plate clue. Everyone love going to the hotel (and the attendants were so helpful and wanted to play too!) We went through five clues really fast! We finished a lot earlier than I thought we would. We finished five clues in under an hour.

It would have been helpful to clarify that contestants must go to a different business per clue. My group ended up getting a Slurpee, getting gas and collecting four quarters all at the 7-11. It would have been better to have to go to different businesses for each “leg”.

2. My library did not have the 5 Love Languages book.

3. None of the teams could blow up the balloon (and I gave them each two or three balloons but they all popped.)

4. Everyone loved the license plate game – it wasn’t as hard to find 12 out of state licenses.

5. I had everyone meet at a Mexican restaurant for dinner. (Which was great because we snacked on chips while we waited for everyone to arrive.) I bought a gnome and hid it in the restaurant which was fun for teams to find.

6. Pumping gas for $1.00 is really fun, but at 7-11 many of the contestants in my group pre-paid the dollar so the pump automatically stopped for them. Kind of defeats the purpose. To pump $1 my husband had to use a credit/debit card. The gas attendants would let us pump and then pay.

I’m going to set up a Family Amazing Race with my kids. We will for sure do the arcade (the kids will love that) and have each family take a picture at each leg. One member of our group got a picture with her Slurpee cup and the 7-11 employee which was hilarious!

15. Stacy says:

I read through all of it and was clicking on the pics but I couldn’t find the printables.. Can someone help me out?

• Sarina Sarina says:

At the very end of the post in pink letters it says “You can get ALL of these fabulous pieces that Sameeha at The Inked Leaf created right here:
      Ultimate Amazing Race Group Date Night <—- Click on these words!
      Hope that helps!

16. Meichelle says:

Where did you find the gnome that the winner got?

17. Donna says:

I love this idea and am planning it for a Valentine’s group date! I clicked the link that said “Get Everything Here” and it didn’t give me access to the printables. Any ideas?

• Sarina Sarina says:

Donna – try clicking on the words right below that. They say “Ultimate Amazing Race Group Date Night” and are large and pink? That should take you to the right place!

18. Aaron says:

Thanks for the printables! You helped me get that final polish on my wife’s 40th birthday Amazing Race party I did for her. You can see how well the event went here if you want: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10203592218912763.1073741833.1434287935&type=1&l=5407e47c2c

• Tara Tara says:

Wow, Aaron! Thanks for sharing! That looks like you put a lot of thought into her celebration and what fun!!! I’m sure she felt completely loved. We give you a TON of hubby points! What a fun couple you two are!