December 1, 2010

A Ramen Noodle Secret!

This post was contributed by our honorary diva, Charlene.  Here she is:

We are a small family living on a college budget, so lets just say that we’ve eaten our share of Costco size bundles of Ramen noodles!

¬†But I have a secret….. Many have tried to guess and many have failed. You are dying to know aren’t you! Okay, here I go! It’s as simple as pie! Boil the water,

add the noodles (like normal). Let cook on high until noodles start to get tender.

Drain water, put back on the stove and add…..

…1 cup of MILK and seasoning! Let it come to a light boil again and whala, you are done! You can serve as a creamy delicious soup OR use a little less milk and you have a creamy noodle side to go with your dinner! Once you’ve had it this way, I promise you will never be able to go back! (That is….. if you are like EVERYONE else I know that has tried it:) Hope you enjoy! I would l.o.v.e. to hear what you and your hubby think to our twist on Ramen Noodles or if you have your OWN secret ingredient that you just happen to love!

Thanks for such a great post, Char!

Filed under Charlene, Food, Lisa P., Quick and Easy · Tagged with ,

33 Responses to “A Ramen Noodle Secret!”

1. My Little Boy Blue says:

We have "gourmet ramen," lol. We add meat (sometimes ham, sometimes ground beef or cubed chicken) and a veggie and top with cheese. :)

2. Amanda Joy says:

We are still experimaneting with the right process to use ramen in pan fried noodles:)

3. Chelsy@ Sweet Pea Kisses says:

Brilliant! When I was in college I sometimes mixed hot sauce in mine, just to "spice" it up a little!

4. T says:

When the noodles are close to being done (before adding the seasoning packet), I add an egg to the water. Make sure to stir the yoke so it can all cook in the boiling water. Once it is cooked, at your seasoning. It gives you a nice flavoring and a little dose of protein. My hubby loves it!

5. Kiirst says:

I love all these variations to a dish we apparently ALL are very familiar with! Keep 'em comin'!

6. happyme says:

Growing up my mom would always make it by putting the eggs in first and boiling those for a minute (kind of like poached eggs so they stay whole, one per person) then add some frozen veggies like peas or corn and then the noodles to cook. It is still my favorite way to eat them. But I will try the milk to, looks good.

7. Amber says:

I am excited to try this!
    We like Chinese Chicken Salad made with RAMEN NOODLES.
    Here's the recipe:
    4 chicken breasts
    1 head of lettuce, shredded
    sesame seeds
    celery
    onion
    mandarin oranges (to the side)
    2 packages RAMEN NOODLES crushed (oriental or chicken flavored)
    Mix everything together but oranges.
    SAUCE:
    6 tbsp vinegar
    3/4 cup oil
    1 tsp. salt and pepper
    4 tbsp. sugar
    seasonings from RAMEN NOODLES
    Pour sauce over everything and toss!
    (add oranges right before serving)
    I like to serve it with french bread.

8. Rachel Kay says:

My husband loves his Ramen with taco toppings. It is a fun alternative to chips, salad, or taco shells. It works best with the beef flavor and I only use half of the seasonings to cut down on the sodium.

9. Alissa says:

I'll have to try that! The only thing we've done to change up top raman is add some frozen veggies.

10. the Chidesters says:

I love shredded cheese and olives. Also we love frozen peas at our house, we use them to cool the noodles down, plus the kids are eating a veggie!

11. Kate says:

I worked at a camp and the backpackers would add dried veggies (corn, peas), chicken boullian cubes, and instant mashed potatoes to a package of crushed up Ramen Noodles. It is fantastic! I highly recommend it!

12. Cami Reschke says:

My dad used to put an egg in while it was boiling while he and my mom were in college and it was a little like the Chinese egg drop soup. Way to go, Ramen!

13. Char says:

I am seriously LOVING all these great idea's! My husband is going to be so excited I now have some NEW romen trixs up my sleves!
    @Amber~ Thank you for that recipe! I have tried it before and LOVED it! So excited I now get to make it myself!
    Looks like we are going to have to add the veggies, eggs and cheese! What a great idea!
    @Rachel Kay~ And Romen with taco toppings, how creative! It will be fun to try one with the fam!
    Thank you all so much for all the FUN NEW ideas!

14. Carina says:

We also add whisked up eggs, frozen veggies and some soy sauce to make it an oriental soup. We have thought of adding ham to it as well. We will have to try the milk.

15. Andrea @ See it! Love it! Win it! says:

I usually just drain almost all the water from mine, add a little butter and some seasoning (sometimes the whole packet, sometimes half, depending on the tastes of who's eating it) and then mix it up.

16. Josh & Jamie Beutler says:

I love this one! We're going to try it soon! One thing we LOVE is draining the water after the noodles are done, adding the seasoning to the noodles and then one egg. You cook the egg and add some cheese. THEN :) Roll it up in a tortilla :) Learn this trick back in the days of Ricks College :)

17. Lindsey says:

Instead of the hassle of the milk if you want it creamier I drain most of the water out and then just added a dollop of light sour cream along with the seasonings. It makes it sooo good. I add chicken and veggies sometimes with it too and it makes for a delicious and easy meal!

18. Jess Bjokne says:

My hubs taught me the egg method like one of the other readers mentioned earlier, he said his mom used to do that all the time when he was younger to add more protein to the meal. I like this milk idea too, can't wait to try it

19. Jeff and Cali says:

Tried this and LOVED it! It's true, I will never go back. It's really good if you let cheddar cheese melt over the top too!

20. Char says:

@Jeff and Cali~ Yeah!!! I am so happy you tried it and LOVED it! Thanks you made my day :)

21. Erin Despain says:

Oh my goodness! I just tried this and it was AMAZING! You're so right…I'm definitely never going back. Thanks! :)

22. Tammy says:

I put 2 eggs in with the noodles as they boil and green onion…also hot sauce sometimes. SO GOOD

23. Jana says:

I too drain the noodles and just add half of the seasoning packet so it’s not too strong and then to make it a little creamy I stir in about a Tablespoon of ranch dressing. So yummy!

24. Kathryn says:

Thank you so much for this!! I am a huge ramen noodle fan, and never heard of this! Will defintiely be trying it soon!

25. Kati says:

OK! So here is a way that once you have it…you’ll NEVER go back to ANYTHING ELSE! When I was growing up, my mom would boil the noodles, the drain. And here’s the secret step…she would then FRY the noodles with oil in the skillet and add the season packets to the top with fried cabbage, and polish sausage. It gets these great little crispy pieces in it that make you eat until you can’t button your pants!!!