May 16, 2010

Recreate Your First Date!

My husband and I are getting ready to celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary. I wanted to create a date that had a little history to it. So…I decided to recreate our VERY FIRST DATE. Let me paint the picture of our first date….
We were both 16 and in high school.
1.My husband picked me up and we went to a Mexican restaurant.
2. After dinner, we headed to the 1996 hit movie, Romeo and Juliet.

3. After the movie, he dropped me off at my house. He returned 15 minutes later and knocked on my window. I opened my window and he asked if I would like to go get some hot chocolate. We then headed to 7Eleven (which happened to be the only place open that late for hot chocolate).
4. We then returned to my parents house and sat in the driveway and talked for an hour.
It was the best date of my life… a date I will never forget!
So in the spirit of our first date…my mission was to recreate it…EIGHT YEARS LATER!
The first thing I did was head to ITUNES. I downloaded the top 5 songs from 1996. The whole time we were on our date, we listened to music from the era of when we met.
It was fun listening to the 90′s boy bands, the Notorious BIG, The Macarena and Celine Dion. What a mix it was!! We had a great time talking about the cool things of 1996 and laughing about how things have changed.

Next, I went back to my journal. In my journal, I wrote that I wore a red striped tank with Levis. So, I hunted in my closet and found the closest thing similar to that of our first date.
Next, I made reservations at the same restaurant we went to years ago! We even tried to score the same table we sat at years ago. We had fun asking “Getting to know you” questions. :) Some of our answers were the same and some were very different.
Then, I checked the movie listings. HOW PERFECT is this? We saw Romeo and Juliet 14years ago and this week… Letters to Juliet came out. Not the exact same movie…but pretty close! We enjoyed the movie just like we did 14 years ago!

After the movie, my husband drove me back to OUR house. Then 15 minutes later, there was a tapping at my window and we headed to the same 7ELEVEN for hot chocolate.
Lastly, we came back home and talked just like we had so many years before.
This date was just right for us! It was so fun to celebrate our past and talk about the future. Recreating our first date was a perfect anniversary date idea. My husband and I really got into the spirit of things and even asked each other questions similar to that of our first date. Obviously, each first date is unique. I suggest recreating the dinner, activities and doing your best to be back in the time era of your first date. Even if you have moved, find things and places that are similar to that of your first date. Bring that first spark of love back again!

15 Responses to “Recreate Your First Date!”

1. Wendy says:

So cute! I love it!

2. Kristen says:

Fun! This is a great Idea that everyone could use. :) good job!

3. alicia says:

Fun idea. Not sure I can remember that far back??

4. Laina says:

What a wonderful idea and what a wonderful date!

5. Amanda says:

I thought about doing this, but our first movie together was somewhat unfortunately Napolean Dynamite. I don't know if I want to relive that:)

6. Scraptastic Mel x says:

This is a fab idea. How cute that he came back and tapped on your window. Very keen hey?!

7. Shannon Masayo says:

this actually made me cry. the fact that he tapped on your window again. adorable.

8. Tara says:

Love it, Corie! This was on my "date list" of dates I wanted to do! :) Such a cute job recreating it!

9. mom24boys says:

Love this. I am going to have to do this when we get our move over. Might help us settle in our new town too. I am also passing along the "Versatile Blogger" award to you ladies! Thanks for encouraging us to keep our spark alight!
    Visit me and pick up your award:
    4growingboys.blogspot

10. Jessica Hills says:

This is such a good idea, and your first date is so cute! I love this blog – just found you from Simply Modern Mom. I am so excited I did and will definitely be following now!

11. Brittney says:

This is a great idea!

We saw R&J on our first date too!

12. Rosie H. says:

Thanks for this idea! I did a variation–our wedding night. I wore my get-away dress, got the same dinner that we had then, and tried to recreate the feel of our honeymoon cabin. On the drive to our honeymoon we read our wedding cards outloud, and if they had cash in them we took it out for honeymoon spending money. So for the date I drew him a few “wedding cards” and put dollar bills in them, and the next day we went to the dollar store and got eachother some silly little things. The baby woke up halfway through, but it was fun anyway and he was really surprised. Thank you for your blog, I love it!

13. Kari says:

I love this idea! Our first date was to see Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp and Christina Ricci and then to Steak and Shake for burgers and milkshakes. I had a problem eating my french fries though because the ketchup looked a lot like the blood used in the movie! lol- what a great idea to try and recreate that date! Looks like you guys had a wonderful time!

1. [...] Re-creating Your First Date, even if it wasn’t wonderful… you will both laugh at the forgotten memories! [...]

2. […] Recreate Your First Date […]