October 10, 2014
Decorate Your Car for Trunk or Treat
Trunk or Treating is all the rage and if you’ve got a car to decorate look no further! We have over 100 ideas to inspire you!
Trunk or Treat is a new alternative to traditional trick-or-treating and its popularity is growing! Many neighborhoods, schools and church communities have transitioned to a Trunk or Treat event to better keep a watchful eye on their children. Rather than going door to door to unknown homes, the costumed kiddos go from car trunk to trunk collecting candy and playing games – all while under their parent’s careful watch. Even more exciting, each trunk is totally decorated with some sort of theme and sometimes even a game in which the kids earn their candy! So much fun, right? But where to start? Whether you are a veteran seeking new ideas or a rookie new to Trunk or Treating – we’ve got over 100 ideas for you on how to decorate YOUR car for the big event!
As you think about how you want to decorate your car for the big event consider these suggestions:
- Start with a Theme - Your theme will establish everything else you do. Start by choosing a theme and then add your ideas to it!
- Coordinate Your Costume - More than just decorating your car, consider matching your costume to the theme, too! If you have a Flintstone’s trunk – you could dress the whole family up as members of the Flintstone family!
- Add an Activity – Many trunk decorators have added ways for the kids to earn their candy through some sort of activity. For some trunks, the kids must search through a treasure chest of gold at their pirate-themed car, or maybe they have to throw their fishing pole into the “sea” trunk to retrieve their prize. Kids LOVE this sort of thing!
- Get Creative With the Candy - Depending on your theme, consider giving away candy or prizes that match the theme. For example, the Cookie Monster-themed trunk could definitely give out some cookies!
- Make it Personal - We have lots of ideas for you below, but don’t feel limited by the examples. Think of your own favorite animals, children’s stories, movies, hobbies and more that YOU are interested!
Since everything revolves around choosing a theme – let’s get started! We have 120+ ideas with various themes such as:
- Children’s Stories
- Creative Faces
- Spooky & Scary
- Sweets & Treats
- and SO MUCH MORE!!!
So get those pinning fingers ready because we have a whole storm of ideas coming your way. Here we go . . .
Animal-Themed Trunk or Treat Ideas
Animals are always a hit with kids. You really can’t go wrong! Here are a few animal-inspired ideas to get the ideas rolling!
1. Frog - Turn your whole car in an adorable frog – complete with floppy tongue!
2. Frog - This frog is just as cute with a slide for the tongue! Wouldn’t that be fun in the candy came down the slide?
3. Black Cat - Perfect for anyone with a black car! Just add eyes, a nose and whiskers! I love how the taillights serve as cheeks!
4. Owl – The perfect fall animal! This owl is totally handmade! It could be a project to do with the kiddos that they could easily help with!
5. Zoo – Such a creative idea and so easy to do! Just place some stuffed animals in the back of your car, add bars and you’ve got yourself a zoo!
6. Don’t Feed the Animals - Instead of stuffed animals – you could have a “wild” live animal! How fun is this?!
7. Safari - This idea is totally wild! Turn your trunk into a safari – complete with wild animals and decor.
8. Tiger – If you want to go all out – you could turn your entire car into an animal like this ferocious tiger!
9. Fish Aquarium - I adore this idea or using various colored blue balloons to create water for a fish tank!
10.Megalodon - I would be nervous to reach my hand into that giant shark’s mouth – even for some candy!
11. Shark - This simple shark idea only requires some streamers, paper for teeth and some cardboard for a fin! Each and scary!
12. Under the Sea - Invite the kids to “catch” their candy with a little game of go fish! This under the sea trunk is cute and interactive!
Trunk or Treat Ideas Based on Children’s Stories
Once upon a time there was an amazing trunk or treat event with lots of amazingly decorated cars! Here are a few ideas that children will recognize right away!
13. Toy Story - Adults and children alike will love this re-creation of Andy’s room from Toy Story.
14. Monsters Inc. – Mike is a well known character from Monsters Inc. This idea is simple but fun!
15. Mater – Why not decorate your car like a famous car? Mater, from the movie Cars, is totally recognizable and loved by kids!
16. Lightning McQueen - Similarly you could decorate your car like the famous Lighning McQueen from Disney Pixar’s movie Cars. This is perfect for anyone with a red car!
17. Scooby Doo Mobile - These people went all out! They converted their entire van to look just like the Scooby Doo Mobile! What a creative idea!
18. Cruella Deville - Fill your trunk full of spotted dogs and you have yourself a villain’s lair! A fun costume idea with a simple trunk idea to match!
19. Snoopy Dog House - Turn your car into Snoopy’s famous dog house! How do you think the kids would react to giving dog treats instead of candy? Perhaps that takes the theme a little too far . . . ha ha!
20. Smurfs – The Smurfs are known and loved by all children. This would be a huge hit at any Trunk or Treat event!
21. Disney - The classic icon of all cartoons! Take your Disney collections and display them in your trunk!
22. Alice in Wonderland – How clever is this? The trunk has been converted into the hole in which Alice falls!
23. Aladdin – Turn your car into the land of Agrabah from Aladdin! Add some mid-Eastern flair to your trunk and some costumes – and you are set!
24. Thomas the Train - What kid doesn’t recognize and love Thomas the Train? This works nicely with a pickup truck!
25. Dr. Seuss – There are so many things you could do with a Dr. Seuss theme! His books are classics and well-known by many!
26. Magic School Bus – Convert your car into the famous Magic School Bus based on the popular children’s books.
27. I Spy - It doesn’t get easier than this! Grab random items from your home and throw it in the back of your trunk! As kids come to get candy, they can play a little game of “I Spy” to earn their treat!
28. Harry Potter – Travel to a world of wizardry and magic with this Harry Potter – themed car!
29. Cookie Monster – I ADORE this cookie monster idea! This would be even cooler if you gave out cookies instead of candy!
30. C is for Cookie – Add some costumes to the Cookie Monster theme and you have a creative car! I love this idea!
31. Muppets Character: This site has all the details on how to create this look for yourself! So clever!
32. Seasame Street - The Classic children’s show come to life! Lead the children to Seasame Street – complete with costumed characters!
33. Little Red Riding Hood – Rather than bringing sweets to Grandmother’s house, Little Red is handing them out! Convert your car into Granny’s cottage in the woods!
34. Charlotte’s Web - Halloween spiders are usually scary, but not this one! Charlotte and her friend Wilbur are as friendly as it gets! Turn your trunk into their barn!
35. Little Bo Peep - Your trunk becomes a hillside for Bo Peep to find her sheep! This classic children’s story will be recognized by all the children.
36. Flintstones - Yabba Dabba Doo! Direct from the city of Bedrock – you can totally add costumes of Wilma and Fred & family to complete this theme!
37. Madagascar - A jungle of famous characters from the classic movie Madagascar. The kids would love this!
Trunk or Treat Faces
One of the most popular decor ideas is to turn your car’s trunk or hood into a face! Check out these faces that range from scary to silly!
38. Scary Clown - This colorful clown face looks like it came straight from the crazy circus! I particularly like the balloons for a wig!
39. Eye Lashes - Add some girly spunk to your car with big lips and some dazzling eye lashes!
40. Angry Eyes - Since it is Halloween, why not go for some scary red eyes? Add a large spider and you have a scary face!
41. Hungry Face - This trunk not only did a face with vicious teeth, but they added a victim to the mix!
42. Big Teeth - This trunk is the perfect size and shape for some large, pointy teeth. Open Wide to get your treat . . .
43. Shark Bite - These teeth are razor sharp. The elongated teeth really add to the illusion of a shark!
44. You’re Next!- This trunk not only has the teeth, but it tells a story! The legs sticking out warn trunk or treaters – they might be next! Also – notice the surgical gloves filled with candy! Now THAT is creative!
45. Pumpkin Eater – This orange VW Bug was converted into a pumpkin with large teeth! I Love this idea!
46. Mouth Full of Treats – Open wide! This large trunk’s mouth is FULL of candy and sweets! It gives Dentists everywhere a sense of job security!
47. Silly Face - This friendly face invites trunk or treaters to take the treat right from this silly face’s mouth!
48. Red Carpet Tongue – This tongue extends beyond the trunk and into the parking lot. The little kiddos can walk the red carpet to retrieve their treat from the trunk!
49. Cross Eyed - This simple face adds a little twist by making the eyes look inward. The crossed eyes add a silliness!
Movie-Themed Trunk or Treat Ideas
Movies make for great themes for trunk decor – ESPECIALLY the classics! Here are a few ideas based on classic movies that most people will recognize!
50. The Yellow Brick Road - Lead your trunk or treaters to your car with a yellow brick road!
51. The Wizard of Oz - The yellow brick road can then lead to the land of Oz!
52. R2D2 Star Wars – This famous robot from Star Wars could be filled with candy!
53. Storm Trooper Star Wars – This costume really sets the scene from Star Wars. Complete with an ewok held prisoner!
54. Mary Poppins - This idea is practically perfect in every way! With costumes of Mary & Bert this set up is lovely!
55. Little Shop of Horrors – This trunk was converted into Mushnik’s flower shop, complete with Audrey II – the man eating plant!
Scary Trunk or Treat Ideas
Trunk or treat is in celebration of Halloween so anything creepy, spooky and scary is going to be a big hit! Check out these ideas for some hair-raising, spine-chilling inspiration!
56. Spider’s Web - Fill your trunk with creepy spiderwebs and add a giant spider (or two!) and you have yourself one scary trunk!
57. Vacancy - This is one vacancy that I would not want to fill!
58. Haunted House - These people turned their whole trunk into its very own haunted house! They went all out!
59. Graveyard - Turn the bed of a trunk into a cemetery! Headstones & spiderwebs are all you need for this idea!
60. Ghosts - Fill your car with ghosts and lights and you have one ghostly trunk!
61. Glow in the Dark Ghosts – Add some colorful lights to the ghosts in your car!
62. Ghostbusters – Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters! Make your trunk into its very own mobile ghost containment unit!
63. Mummy - Wrap your car in white sheets to create a mummy. Add some eyes to the windshield and you are done!
64. Crime Scene - With some caution tape, a skeleton victim and some evidence – you’ve got yourself a true crime scene!
65. CSI - Whether you are a fan of the show CSI or not – you can create your own scene from the show! All you need is some caution tape and some official-looking costumes.
66. Witches Dungeon – This castle scene extends beyond just your trunk to create a lair for a witch!
67. Skull Cave – This idea takes a twist to the typical trunk! This idea opens your hood to reveal an engine – full of skulls!
68. Pirate Flag – This pirate flag will lead the kiddos to your car in style!
69. Treasure Chest – Your trunk or treaters can also take their candy from a treasure chest that fills the back of the car!
Food-Themed Trunk or Treat Ideas
Trick or treating is all about getting candy, so adding a candy theme to your trunk is a sweet idea!
70. Candy Stop - This trunk idea will definitely draw in the trunk or treaters! It is cheerful and colorful!
71. Sweet Shop - Add an adorable awning overhang to your trunk and you’ve got your own store full of sweets! So cute!
72. Banana Split – This is a great example of combining costumes with your trunk’s theme! These ladies, together, form a banana split! Yummy!
73. Gingerbread Man – Who doesn’t love the gingerbread man? I think this would be hilarious if you gave out baggies of gum drops! Maybe with a note “Not my gumdrop buttons!”
74. Candy Land - I love the walkway leading up to the Candy Land car! These theme extends beyond the trunk. The kids will love walking down this!
75. Sweets Store - Create a store window from your trunk by setting up large jars full of candy! This could be really fun if the kids get to choose their candy!
76. Trix-n-Treats Bake Shop - This trunk decorator created their own shop. With a baker’s costume to match – this idea is simple but very creative!
77.Bubble Gum - Balloons make this car look like it is blowing bubbles! Give out Double Bubble brand gum at this car and you’ve got a great theme!
78. Toaster – You might have to have the right car to pull this one off – but this is hilarious! There are so many details – it really looks like a toaster on wheels!
79. Bacon & Eggs - And to go with that toaster – breakfast food costumes! This couple went as bacon and eggs. I love it!
80. Creepy Kitchen – The Chef is cooking up something special over at this car!
81. Honey Hive - This car converted into a beehive! The theme was complete with a little honey bee buzzing around!
82. Picnic Salad – This family’s theme is classic: a picnic blanket in the trunk and each family member an ingredient in the salad!
83. Trunk full of Candy - OR you can always forgo the decorations and just fill our trunk FULL OF CANDY! The kids will love it all the same!
More Creative Ideas
Here are a bunch of really great all-around ideas that you CAN’T go wrong with!
84. Pumpkin Patch - Fill your trunk with pumpkins and other fall decor! Easy, simple but memorable!
85. Leaves – Don’t know what to do with all those fall leaves piling up in your yard? We’ve got a solution for you! The trick will be cleaning it out . . .
86. The Great Pumpkin – Who doesn’t love and recognize Charlie Brown’s Great Pumpkin story? This will draw the children in!
87. Motorcycle Pumpkin – Now this is creative! This couple used the back of their motorcycle to create a mini pumpkin patch! The license plate even says “pumpkin!”
Sports-Themed Trunk of Treat Ideas
You could do a theme around ANY sport but here are a few ideas for inspiration!
88. Football Field – Make your trunk into its own football field. Complete the look with a little football player inside. This would be a great idea for adding an activity for the kids to earn their candy.
89. Zombie Football – Combine sports with Halloween with a Zombie football theme!
90. Snowboard - Snowboarding in October?! Yes please! This guy brought the slopes to the party!
91. Nascar Race Track - Follow the raceway to get to your Nascar-themed trunk!
Religious-Themed Trunk Ideas
Since many religious groups organize trunk or treat events, a religious theme might be required. If so, here are a few ideas for you!
92. Noah’s Ark - Set up a ramp leading to your trunk and have animals enter two by two to your ark!
93. Jonah - Have a costumed Jonah sit inside the trunk of your car that is decorated like a whale! Brilliant!
94. David & Goliath - I can’t quite tell what they did to decorate their car, but the costumes of David & Goliath (father and son) is adorable!
95. Shadrach, Meshach & Abedenego - Create the illusion of fire and flames in your backseat and have 1 or all 3 of the famous followers of God sit unharmed.
Video Games Ideas
There are so many video games out there, but here are two popular games that would be a total hit!
96. Mario & Luigi - Mario & Luigi costumes are a must for a Mario Brothers theme.
97. Mario Brothers - Create a scene straight from the video game screen of Mario Brothers!
98. Angry Birds - This idea would be so easy to do! Just set up some cardboard boxes and have some stuffed birds!
99. Angry Birds – This would also be a great activity for the kids to do! Have them knock down some boxes to earn their prize!
When thinking of a theme – consider turning your trunk into a famous location or a favorite place!
100. Camping - Pull out your camping gear and get ready to camp out with some candy!
101. Beach – Bring the beach to the parking lot with some sand, surf boards and beach chairs.
102. Western - Saddle up your western gear and giddy up! I reckon this will be a might fine idea!
103. Hunting - Pull out all of your camouflage and set the scene for your very own wooded hunting grounds!
The ideas just keep coming! Here are a few more favorite ideas (in no particular order):
104. Hawaiian - Take a trip to the islands. You could have some Hawaiian music playing from your car and lots of beach-themed decor!
105. Tarzan & Jane - Palm leaves, fauna & a Tarzan & Jane costume! Love this!
106. Piñata – Spanish traditions involve candy so why not mix the two? Have the kiddos break open some piñatas to get their treats!
107. Christmas - Christmas in October?! Why not? Pull out your Christmas decorations and you are set!
108. Batmobile – You can’t go wrong with batman! These people went all out with this design!
109. Bat Cave - This example looks like they used some black garbage sacks to create a bat cave. The costumes really make set the scene! You could even have cat woman on the scene.
110. Bath-time Fun – Rubber duckies, a shower curtain and some bathrobes make a great theme that is easy and cute!
111. Band Groupie – You do this idea with ANY band of your choice! These girls decorated their trunk with all their favorite things from the band One Direction. This would be extra fun to have the music of the particular band playing!
112. Construction Zone – All you need for this idea are some orange cones and barrels plus some neon vests and hard hats! Love this!
113. Mad Scientist Lab – Cooky, Crazy lab experiments and a crazy scientist! Educational AND interesting!
114. Sleepover - I am always looking for an excuse to wear my pajamas – his sleepover trunk idea is one of my favorites!
115. Circus – There is so much you could do with a circus theme! I love the bright colors or the circus tent!
Step back in time with these decade-specific ideas
116. Caveman - For this idea we go back to the beginnings! Have a campfire and some caveman costumes and you are set!
117. Midevil Times - Castles, a knight in armor! The ideas are endless!
118. 1920’s – I love everything about the 1920’s style – the flappers and the beads! You could do so much with this decade!
119. 1950’s – A jukebox cafe straight from the 50’s. So fun!
120. 1970’s – This idea is groovy! Hippie costumes, flower petals and peace signs. Right on!
There are SO MANY things you can do for trunk or treat but this might just be my favorite! I love how creative these car-less kids got! You don’t even need a trunk to decorate for trunk or treat! It is all about being creative and working with what you have!
There is no need to go purchase anything elaborate (the kids would rather you spend the money on the candy!) – just use what you have around the house!
Hopefully you have found some inspiration for your own trunk decor! The hard part might be deciding WHICH idea to do!
And if you will be bringing food to share at this party – check out our
You Might Also Like These Related Articles
October 9, 2014
Enjoy the most relaxing date night ever right in your own home! Our FREE Spa Date Night Kit includes a Spa Menu, Spa Bucks, a Door Hanger, and Spa Order Form.
October 8, 2014
Planning a Halloween party that you hope will be forever talked about? Use this list of 33 Halloween party games to make your Halloween party a true success!
October 6, 2014
Over 100 quick and easy Halloween gift ideas! Including ideas for your: spouse, kids, friends, neighbors, and teachers!
October 6, 2014
This creative date idea is perfect for watching the popular TV series The Walking Dead. Instructions included for a zombie survival kit!