Fun Outdoor Games for Everyone
Summer is SO close that we can practically taste it! And with it comes warm weather, pool parties, play dates, and you guessed it… fun outdoor games! Soak up every second of this summer with some of our fun outdoor games for kids! We’ve even got the grown-ups covered as well with a giant list of fun outdoor games for adults! Clearly, we take summer fun very seriously around here. So when it comes to fun games for kids to play outside, you’ve come to the right place. From classic party games to backyard games, from DIY to kid games, we’ve got plenty of fun ideas to keep you busy all summer long! Grab the kids, your neighbors, and anyone else you can think of, and get your summer party started with the best list of outdoor games for kids!
Whether you’re in charge of hosting summer playdates, the 4th of July BBQ, or the long-overdue family reunion, we’ve gathered 65 entertaining and fun outdoor games to ensure your party is the hit of the summer! And don’t worry! We even have fun games for adults here, too! Simply choose among the following 5 categories, then click on the link to be taken straight to them!
- Classic Games to Play Outside
- DIY Outdoor Games
- Fun Outdoor Games Just for Kids
- Board Games to Play Outside
- Outdoor Water Games
Are you ready to start planning your summer fun?! Well, here we go!
Classic, Fun Outdoor Games
If you’re looking for outdoor games that have stood the test of time, congrats! You’ve found them! These fun outdoor games are super easy to set up and to play. Not to mention, they work perfectly for parties! Throwing a birthday party or celebration this summer? This list includes party games for kids, too! Additionally, they are all total crowd-pleasers. Without a doubt, you’ll have everyone at your party begging to play more! Keep reading for some of the best, most classic backyard games you can play outside.
- Capture the Flag – This is definitely one of THE most fun games to play outside ever! What fond memories you must have, running through the neighborhood playing Capture the Flag with your friends, right? However, you’re never too old for this classic game OR maybe it’s time to share the tradition with your kids! First, you’ll need to grab some flags, or two bandanas, or even some old cloths. After that, the fun really starts!
- Hula Hoop Competition – Let’s see just how well you can move those hips! For this game, gather your close friends and some inexpensive hula hoops, and see who can hula hoop the longest. You’d be surprised just how much of a work out it really is!
- Three-Legged Race – Choose your partner wisely for a three-legged race! We suggest grabbing your spouse. You two should be well in sync with each other already…don’t you think? 😉
- Badminton – Badminton is one of our favorite, fun outdoor games! Therefore, we strongly encourage you to set up a backyard net and host a friendly badminton tournament with neighbors, family and/or friends!
- Croquet – This old-time classic is still sure to be a hit! Not to mention, it’s another great game to teach the kiddos!
- Backyard Baseball – Whether you’re setting up t-ball for the kids (this set is great for 3 and under) or throwing up some balls for you to hit out to friends, backyard baseball is a true American classic. This is one of the easiest and most fun games for kids ever!
- Flag Football – Be sure not to leave the ladies out of this one! In fact, a little flag football might be the perfect way to flirt a little with your spouse while enjoying the nice outdoor weather.
- Ladder Golf – Opposing teams take turns throwing 3 bolas on the varying rungs of the ladder. The first team to 21 wins! You’ll love this one if you’re looking for something simple and unique!
- Volleyball – With or without a net, you can volley a ball in the backyard with your family or friends. However, to add a little friendly competition, set up a net and create a two-team tournament! This is definitely one of our most fun outdoor games!
- Tug of War – Flex those muscles! Grab a rope out of the garage and see just how strong you really are! On that note, make sure to create balanced teams…it’s only fair!
- Horse Shoes – This is one of the more classic and fun outdoor games on our list… RINGER! Take turns tossing your horseshoes to the stake. First to 15 wins!
- Corn Hole – The new backyard FAVORITE, corn hole, is hit as we move into the tail-gating season! You can make your own, or buy a set here. If you haven’t gotten on board with this game yet, you’re missing out on some competitive fun!
- Frisbee Golf – Need an at-home date night activity that’s outdoors? Here’s one for you that involves setting up a Frisbee Golf course! It even includes printables and a fun twist as you play with just your spouse! Fun outdoor date night, here you come!
DIY Outdoor Games
Ever made your own outdoor game before? We think these DIY Outdoor Games are total crowd-pleasers. In other words, there’s something for everyone! From your very own mini-golf course to Pipe Ball Toss, you’re sure to find something that will fit your “fun outdoor game” needs. In addition, they’re so easy and inexpensive to put together! The good news with these ideas is that they work as fun party games, too. If you’re throwing a summer party, why not make one of these to play during your event? Chances are, it will be a huge success!
- Mini-Golf Course – Who doesn’t love a round of mini-golf?! Creating your very own course will have your house the hit of the neighborhood. And, we have the perfect Mini-Golf Date if you and your babe want to head to the local put-put course! Fun, outdoor games just got a whole lot better!
- Plinko – Create your own Plinko board for a unique game to have on hand for your next BBQ! For this game, you’ll take turns dropping chips, aiming for the higher valued points along the bottom. The first player to 21 WINS!
- Ring Toss – As simple as this game is to play, it’s equally as simple to make. Therefore, this can be “tossed” together quickly for a last-minute party! You can also buy one here if you find yourself short on time and creativity!
- Angry Birds Backyard Edition – No way! Real-life Angry Birds?! How cool is this? This game is beyond creative and one of the most fun outdoor games ever! With some four-square balls, a DIY launcher, and cardboard boxes, you can make your own Angry Birds game right in your back yard!
- Washers – Nothing says “fun outdoor games” like a game of washers. With items you surely have kicking around in your garage, you can easily whip up the pieces necessary for a game of washers. Just toss the washers, aiming for the cup, until the first person scores 11 points!
- Pipe Ball Toss – Cut piping into varying heights, adhere together, and grab a ball! Take turns tossing the ball into the tubing! Who said fun outdoor games had to be complicated?
- Ricochet Table – This is a twist on the classic game of shuffleboard. Simply turn a door into a ricochet table for this fun backyard game!
- Glow-in-the-Dark Ring Toss – To avoid getting bored with the standard ring toss, switch it to a glow-in-the-dark version! With few materials, this game can be “tossed” together quickly!
- Backyard Bowling – All you have to do for this game is to grab your recyclables and up-cycle them! That being said, this backyard bowling game is perfect for making and playing outdoors as a family!
- Kubb Game Set – Have you heard of this game?! It’s described as a cross between bowling and chess…interesting huh? Introduce it to friends and family and start a new tradition! Additionally, you can take a whack at making your own!
- Balloon Dart Board – This is one of our more simple and fun outdoor games! All you have to do is adhere balloons to a board and throw darts at them. You can make it interesting by giving point values to different color balloons! Of all of our fun outdoor games, this one might be our favorite!
- LCR Dice Game – What’s this game you ask? To play, roll the dice and pass your chips according to the letter you land on! The idea is to be the last one with all the chips!
- Irish Bowling – This game is played by taking turns knocking blocks out of the rings using round pieces called pelters. However, if you knock a block down, you score the number of the ring in which the block lands. The person with the highest score after a set number of rounds WINS! In other words, this is another great game to continue into the tail-gating season!
Fun Outdoor Games Just for Kids
We all know how important it is to keep your little ones entertained during the summer months. Well, you’re in luck! This list of fun outdoor games for kids is geared specifically towards a younger audience. However, we’d be lying if we said they weren’t fun games for adults as well! Test out these fun games for kids first, then test them out amongst your adult friends! We can guarantee that fun will be had by all. And don’t forget to come here for fun party games for kids! A party wouldn’t be a true party without games!
- Crab Soccer – How fun does this look? When it comes to fun games for kids, crab soccer is where it’s at! In the crab walk position, use an over-sized ball to score against your opposing team. This definitely puts the “FUN” in our fun outdoor games list!
- Backyard Obstacle Course – This is a great backyard game because you can use any items you have laying around the house to create the ULTIMATE obstacle course for your kiddos. When they get bored, switch up the course and it will keep them busy for HOURS! Hands down, this is one of our favorite fun games for kids!
- Bucket Toss – This is another simple game to put together that will entertain a group of kids at a birthday party or BBQ. Grab some cheap party goodies as prizes and it will be even a bigger hit!
- Chalk Obstacle Course – Kids LOVE chalk. Have them help you create an obstacle course on the sidewalk. Heck, join them for a round or two! I really love egg-shaped sidewalk chalk. It’s easy for little hands to hold!
- Bobbing for Donuts – Um, DELICIOUS! This idea is so good, you might just have to take a turn! Hang tasty donuts from strings and have the kids go to town! If this doesn’t say, “fun outdoor games”, we don’t know what does!
- Bean Bag Can Toss – Not only is this one of the most fun games for kids, but it’s another great use for recyclables! Have the kids assist you in decorating the cans and then set them up to knock them right back down with bean bags!
- Freeze Tag – Nothing says “fun games for kids” like freeze tag! Additionally, this oldie but goodie is a great way to get the kids some exercise! Let them burn off steam while playing a round (or TEN) of freeze tag!
- Extra-Large Pick-Up Sticks – This is one of our favorite games for kids. Dump the sticks into a big, messy pile. Let the kids take turns picking up a stick. If the stick they choose wiggles/moves another stick, they must put the stick back and pass on their turn. The kid with the most sticks at the end WINS! Outdoor games just got even MORE fun!
- Popcorn Dump Race – Secure a cup to a rubber band for each team. The kids on each team will take turns strapping the cup to their shoe, scooping popcorn into it and walking it over to a box to dump. The team with the most popcorn at the end of the allotted time WINS!
- Potato Sack Races – This classic and fun outdoor game is easy to organize. Even if you don’t have a potato sack, a pillowcase will do the trick!
- Noodle Olympics – When it comes to fun games for kids, this will for sure be a crowd favorite! And, now you can use your pool noodles for more than just the pool! Simply duct tape them to create different tools for the various events, then set up the “Noodle Olympics” right in your back yard!
- Noodle Car Race – This is one of the more creative and fun games for kids we’ve seen. Cut a noodle in half and let the kiddos race cars or marbles down it! Talk about another easy game idea! It’s also one of the more fun outdoor games that keeps on giving! 🙂
- Hopscotch – What’s the most basic and fun outdoor game you can think of? Hopscotch! This classic can be recreated on pavers or by simply using chalk on the sidewalk. This is a great activity to set up during your next BBQ.
Boardgames for the Outdoors
Did you know that you can play board games in your backyard? It’s true! This list of outdoor board games brings “backyard games” to a whole new level! That being said, try mixing things up during your next game night with these super clever outdoor board games! After all, who wants to stay indoors when you can play some fun outdoor games instead? Not to mention, these board games are supersized, which makes them fun games for adults AND fun games for kids. Keep on reading to check them all out!
- Chess – How cool is this?! Turn a section of your backyard into a large chess board for all of your game night/party pleasing needs! This DIY giant chess board is so beautifully done!
- Connect 4 – This life-size version of Connect 4 is not only great for outdoor parties but weddings as well! It’s one of those fun outdoor games that never gets old!
- Memory – How good is your memory? Will the fresh air help it any? For this yard games, grab some cork tiles and some stencils and see how fun this game of yard memory can be!
- Jenga – Another great classic and one of our favorite fun outdoor games, Jenga can be played as stated by the rules, or you can add your own fun twists as you go. That is the beauty of the game Jenga!
- Chinese Checkers – Can you imagine sitting on your board game? With this yard size Chinese Checkers, you can do just that and STILL play! That’s part of the fun of yard games!
- Yard Yahtzee – We LOVE Yahtzee! An extra-large yard size version sounds even more fun, right?
- Twister – This is one of our favorite outdoor games on the list! To make it, spray paint your very own Twister board on the grass for a fun and flirty activity for just you and your spouse, or a fun group date! On that note, remember that yard games work for big or small groups!
- Bananagrams – This is one of the newer yard games out there. You’ll need a large yard to be able to expand upon all of your words, but it sure looks fun!
- Ker-plunk – Try playing this extra-large Ker-plunk game at your next outdoor game night! This is one of our more creative outdoor games in that there are many ways to play! Simply grab some ball pit balls or fill water balloons.
- Squares Game – This is one of the best backyard games out there for packing up and taking to a picnic at the park! Additionally, it can keep the kids busy as the adults mingle!
- Dominoes – It seems that any game can be made into a yard game. So why not try outdoor dominoes? Fun, creative, and one of the easiest party games!
- Checkers – Teach your kids how to play checkers on an oversized outdoor rug board. Not only does this work for your own kids, but it’s also a great game to pull out during BBQs for guests to take turns playing while they visit with others. This is one of those fun outdoor games that you can play over and over!
- Frisbee Tic-Tac-Toe – This is a twist on the pen-to-paper Tic-Tac-Toe! For starters, you just need to grab a blank shower curtain and a frisbee. Once set up, get three thrown frisbee’s in a row before your opponent blocks your goal. On that note, yard games are so much fun, don’t you think?
Outside Water Activities
Beat the heat and make a splash with this awesome list of water games to play outside! Not only do these water games work for a variety of purposes, but they’re also perfect for a hot, sunny day! Included are fun party games for kids using water, water backyard games, AND your everyday outdoor water games, making this list perfect for summer! Without question, they all make perfect outdoor activities for the youngin’s, and are even water activities that make fun games for adults! Lastly, they’re a great way to entertain and stay cool during the summer months. Check them out!
- Water Balloon Piñata – For this game, simply hang water balloons from a suspended area and take turns hitting them until they burst. This takes “fun outdoor games” to a whole new level, don’t you think?
- Melt the Frozen T-shirt Race – Using frozen t-shirts, two teams will race to see who can get theirs to defrost the fastest. The team must be able to get one member of their team to put on the shirt to WIN! One of the most simple, yet FUN, outdoor games for kids!
- Soap Boat Races – This game is true, CLEAN fun, right here! In other words, it’s one of the most fun outdoor games on this list! To play, two teams simply race soap bars down a stream of running water! How fun is that?!
- Squirt Gun Shooting Practice – Set up two rows of golf balls on tees and have two people race to see who can shoot all of the golf balls off their tees first using only spray water guns.
- Foot Fishing for Marbles – Who needs fishing poles when you have feet?! Two people will race to see who can remove the most marbles out of a bucket of water using only their feet. Certainly, this is one to add to your list!
- Flipper Fill-Up – Two teams will race to see who can walk across the yard with a bucket of water on their heads to fill up another bucket! The catch? You must be wearing flippers as you do this! This is a family favorite out of all of these fun outdoor games!
- Pass the Water Race – This is one of those games that defines “fun outdoor games for kids.” Two teams will line up next to each other and pass water over their heads into the person’s cup behind them. The last person will be filling up a bucket behind them. In the end, the team with the most water in their bucket WINS!
- Water Cup Races – Cool off with this fun water cup race game! First, hang cups on a string. After that, race to see who can squirt their cup across the string to the other side first!
- Catch the Water Bombs – To play this game, attach a bucket to a helmet and have one member of the team wear it. Then, see how many water balloons they can catch in the bucket on top of their heads!
- Sponge Bombs Bucket Toss – Another one of our favorite, fun, outdoor water games! First, create your very own sponge bombs. After that, use them for a twist on the classic bucket toss.
- Water Balloon Batting Practice – Okay, this birthday party scene might be the coolest we’ve ever seen! Set up a tee and use water balloons as a fun twist on batting practice.
- Sponge Bullseye – Using chalk, draw a bullseye on your driveway. After that, use sponges to see how many points you can score by tossing them into the bullseye. Basically, this is one EASY PEASY water game!
- Squirt Gun Games – Squirt gun games are oldies but goodies when it comes to fun outdoor games! Therefore, equip everyone with a filled water gun and let the games begin! This list of different water gun games is full of fun and healthy competition. Without a doubt, your group will love this water activity!
Feeling a little overwhelmed with options? Good thing you have 3 whole months of summer to try as many of these awesome outdoor games as you want! Additionally, you could even pair any of the fun party games for kids above with our other Block Party Ideas for a super enjoyable summer night with your neighbors! And speaking of the kids, don’t forget to try one (or ALL) of our Summer Boredom Busters!
Because we are constantly looking for ways to enjoy more time as a family, we also rounded up The Best Family Outdoor Games that we highly recommend you checking out. Basically, this summer will be anything BUT boring!