June 7, 2012
Passport to Love!
Yet again, we have had a HARD time trying to pick just one winner for our Creative Ideas Contest: Craft section. We had narrowed it down to our top 5 and then had a HARD time picking from that list. We finally settled on someone who was not only SUPER creative, but also sent in great pics, and had so much versatility in her idea. We know you will enjoy this just as much as we did. So, Rebecca, CONGRATS!!!! Here’s Rebecca explaining how to do this AMAZING Passport to Love!
Passport to Love
This gift is so simple and easy to put together- especially since it comes with free printables!!! If you have a printer, scissors, stapler, and pen– then you have everything you need! It’s the perfect gift idea if you are low on money but high on love OR if you’ve been trying to get in the habit of having regular date night.
I came up with the idea when I was trying to think of an inexpensive, but meaningful gift for my husband. I wished I could afford to just whisk him away for a relaxing, romantic getaway. He loves to travel and we’ve often talked and dreamed about all of the places we want to go together someday. Our bucket list of traveling destinations is definitely long. However, with several little ones at home and student loans to pay- this is definitely not the season of our life for becoming world travelers. So I came up with this instead.
The basic idea is that you’re going to be giving your honey a little “Passport to Love” kit. He’ll use this kit to go on a different date with you every month for the whole year. The idea is to “travel the world” together, visiting a different destination each month. You can choose to actually go out and visit different cities, sites, or attractions near you, OR you can do what I did and bring the different destinations to the comfort of your own home. (No babysitter? No problem!) With a little creativity, you can turn your living room or bedroom into another country and pretend like you’re going off on a spontaneous, whirlwind getaway.
In this kit you’ll include:
1- A card (So he knows what this is all about. Just print it out a tie it around everything)
2- A travel itinerary (So he knows which nights to reserve for you! Just print it out and fill in your departure date, time, & destination for each month)
3- A passport (So he can travel the world with you. Print it out, staple it together, and customize it with your spouse’s pic and information)
4- Passport stamps (So you can record and remember all your travels! Print them out and tape them inside his passport each month as you visit different destinations.)
5- Airline tickets (Because that’s just fun. The online generator lets you totally customize it with your spouse’s name, your chosen destination, and different airlines. You’ll want to make 12- one for each month!)
Once you have everything printed out and filled in, just tie it together with the card and give it to your honey for a year of lovin’ and fun! (Perfect Father’s Day gift, perhaps?) Then make sure you’re ready each month to whisk him away for a little at-home getaway.
Here are some destination ideas for inspiration:
- Make an easy Parisian picnic with french bread, gourmet cheese, fruit, and sparkling cider.
- Play some French cafe accordion music (you can play music online for free)
- Learn some French phrases, after all- it is the language of love.
- Watch a movie about France or that takes place in France. How about Les Mis, French Kiss, or Forget Paris
- If you really want to go all out: speak in a French accent, wear a beret, do your hair in a French twist, or paint your nails with a French manicure- hee hee.
- Order out Chinese food or make your own. Leave the forks in the drawer and try chopsticks.
- Make some Chinese paper lanterns
- Try your hand at writing Chinese characters
- Play some oriental music
- Watch Mulan, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, or any Jackie Chan movie.
- Eat (or make) fortune cookies (If you put them in the microwave, they soften up and you can replace the papers with your own fortunes. Just fold them back up and hold until set again.)
- Forget chairs. Just throw some bright colored pillows on the floor.
- Turn out the lights, add candles, and Indian music for ambiance.
- Make Indian food or order out from a local Indian restaurant. Forget the utensils, eat with your hands.
- Bejewel each other with self-adhesive jewels, or get brave and apply Henna tattoos
- Watch a Bollywood movie or learn some Bollywood dance moves from YouTube.
- How about a magic carpet ride while you watch Aladdin? (hee hee) Or you can be his Genie and grant him 3 wishes.
- Make homemade pasta or pizza.
- Play some Italian music to set the mood (Andre Bocelli?) and speak in an Italian accent for fun.
- Get out some art supplies and channel your inner Michelangelo.
- For you “foreign film” how about: The Italian Job, Life is Beautiful, Under the Tuscan Sun, Roman Holiday, or Much Ado About Nothing.
- Enjoy some gelato.
- If you really want to go all out- go for a gondola ride. (I’m thinking blow-up raft in the swimming pool -lol)
- Go on a Caribbean cruise! To make your room like a cruise ship, fold a towel on the bed to make a swan. (They totally have tutorials online)
- Check your local dollar store for tropical decorations like tiki pictures, drink umbrellas, or grass skirts.
- Get dressed in your bathing suit, cover-up, and sunglasses like you’re on a real cruise.
- Play some island music. Try Kokomo by the Beach Boys or Escape (The Pina Coloda Song) by Rupert Holmes.
- Make an Island-themed dinner- like Hawaiian chicken with pina colodas or strawberry daiquiris.
- Watch Pirates of the Carribbean.
- You can even put blue food coloring and a beach ball in the bathtub.
- Toga Party anyone?
- Cook some authentic Greek food. How about moussaka and baklava (or keep it simple with pita pizzas)
- Listen to Greek music and dance! (And if you really want to- break some old, glass dishes that you don’t care about. Opa! tee hee.)
- Watch “My Big Fat Greek Wedding”
-Give your spouse a note- “Jamaican me crazy- yah mon!” (Oooh- isn’t there a Jamaican me crazy Ben & Jerry’s ice cream??)
- Cook some Jamaican food- jerk chicken or boiled banana anyone?
- Turn into a Jamaican online radio station and listen to some reggae and calypso music.
- Put on an island shirt and do some island dancing!
- Play with hacki-sacks
- Watch “Cool Runnings”
- Make some Russian food. Try Borsch or Beef Stroganoff
- Forget the vodka, take shots of rootbeer
- Play Russian roulette with a cap gun. Or dress as mobsters. hee hee.
- Listen to some Russian music online and try to dance the Preesyadka (the Russian knee-bending, kick dance)
- Watch Anastasia or The Hunt for Red October
- Watch the Russian Ballet or Opera on YouTube
(perfect for an October date)
- Host your own Oktoberfest for two- serve bratwurst with mustard and sauerkraut
- Instead of beer and ale, serve mugs of rootbeer or gingerale
- For dessert, how about apple strudel?
- Better yet- host your own ChOktoberfest and serve German chocolate!!
- Listen to German music on Pandora and watch a German movie.
- Write each other notes in hieroglyphics- switch and decode
- Create an archaeological dig site for your spouse using a sandbox and have them search for buried treasure (a love note or gift)
- Play Egyptian music (and walk like an Egyptian.)
- Make some Egyptian food: Chicken kebabs, lamb, fried zucchini, hummus and pita bread, or baklava
- Watch “The Mummy”
- If you want to go all out- dress up like Cleopatra and Ra (God of the Sun)
(perfect for a March date)
- Turn your dining room into an Irish Pub (Lucky Charms for dessert? They’re magically delicious!)
- Dress in green
- Speak in an Irish accent
- Make a leprechaun trap
- Watch an Irish movie (Or how about “Leap Year?” That movie has some gorgeous scenes of Ireland.)
- Listen to some Beatles CDs
- Turn your dining room into an English Pub with fish and chips
- Or go more posh and serve crumpets and tea with a fancy hat
- Speak in a British accent (Jolly Good! Cheerio!)
- Watch a supporting event from the UK
- Play some croquet.
- Watch a movie that takes place in England or one with English actors. Sherlock Holmes or a good BBC movie.
- Make an African dinner (Sosaties, plantains, coconut milk, mango drinks, etc.)
- Gather all the plants in the house into one area to make an African jungle (Or just use your backyard and light tiki torches.) If you want add animals- stuffed animals.
- Play some African music in the background
- Dress us like you’re ready for a safari (think khaki shorts, binoculars, etc.)
- Make African drums or tribal masks together, or “decorate” each other with tribal face paint.
- Watch Out of Africa, I Dreamed of Africa, To Walk With Lions, or even Madagascar.
Hopefully that gets the wheels turning.
All we can say is W-O-W! Rebecca, this is awesome! Love how easy this is to put together (for those of us who aren’t so crafty) yet appealing to the eye for the craftiest of people. Thanks for sharing such a creative craft that turns into 12 dates! You just can’t beat that! Congrats again!
105 Responses to “Passport to Love!”
Recent TrackbacksCheck out what others are saying about this post...
Leave A Comment
OOoooohhh!! We LOVE comments! Thanks for leavin' us some "love"! P.S. If you want a pic to show up next to your comments, go get a gravatar!