So maybe you’ve been married for a while. You are comfortable with your “routine” in the bedroom…but maybe it just doesn’t happen as much as you’d like it to. You push the thought to the back of your mind, telling yourself that you seem happy enough, and so does your partner.
But are you, though?
The benefits of sex are real. And they are fantastic. Since you already know the how of sex, we want to tell you the why of sex – with 8 simple reasons.
- The extensive research of Dr. David Weeks, clinical neuropsychologist at the Royal Edinburgh Hospital, revealed that older men and women with an active love life looked five to seven years younger than their actual age. He also found that quality was just as important as quantity, with the anti-aging benefits increasing if the sex was considered “loving.”
- It smoothes out wrinkles. YEP! Thanks to estrogen being released during sex, those fine lines will be plumped in no time.
- Vigorous sex pumps oxygen throughout your body, which increases the flow of blood and nutrients to the skin. What does that mean? Fresh cells are being pushed to the surface, making your skin look healthier.
- Making love keeps you thinner! Our bodies produce cortisol when we are stressed, which causes us to have cravings and gain weight in our mid-sections. Not good news. However, cortisol levels are lowered due to lovemaking! PLUS you can burn around 200 calories in a 30 minute session of active sex. That’s no small amount! Bedroom time with spouse? Check! Working out? Check!
2. So long, stress: An Arizona State University study on 58 middle-aged women found that physical affection or sexual behavior with a partner significantly lowered negative mood and stress and increased the possibility of higher positive mood the following day. The following day! The endorphins released during sex also help couples to better manage stressful situations. Step on a Lego in the middle of the night? No problem! You can try using this Lavender Massage Oil to ensure relaxation 😉
3. I want you to want me: Regular sex actually increases the sexual desire in couples. The more you ‘do it,’ the more you’ll WANT to do it! You develop a desire that wasn’t normally there. The act itself is reinforcing! Check out our Sexy Surprise Tease for a way to switch things up!
4. Upping Your Confidence Game:
- So how fun is it to be desired by someone…sexually? All at once, two things happen: 1) We feel better about ourselves. 2) We become more attracted to them! Crazy how that works! Reminding your partner that you want ’em is a sure-fire way to make them feel younger, smarter, stronger, and closer to you. In fact, a recent survey undertaken from the University of Texas revealed that couples who had sex regularly felt more confident about their bodies! Just like any exercise that raises your heart rate, sex causes your brain to release “feel-good” chemicals which boost your levels of serotonin (“the happy hormone”). This happy hormone is the body’s key antidepressant chemical and one of the major reasons people smile and get in a fabulous mood right after sex…so keep on pulling that trigger! Knowing this, it’s no surprise that when a study by psychologist Gordon Gallup in the American Archives Of Sexual Behavior did a study on nearly 300 women, he found that sexually active women in long-term relationships are also less likely to feel depressed than women who go without sex.
- Confident people usually wake up ready to conquer their day. Scientist Dr. Debby Herbenick found that adults who made love first thing in the morning were not only more upbeat for the rest of the day, but they also had a stronger immune system than those people who went for just the normal breakfast before heading out the door. In other words – why wait until tonight? You’ll be happier throughout the WHOLE day, more confident, and less prone to depression.
6. Fertility Boost: Studies have found that the more often you make love, the better quality your sperm will be. Semen health was found to be best when sex had last occurred less than two days before the sperm was tested and was greatly decreased after 10 days of abstinence. So, if you’re trying for a baby, keep sperm fresh and in tip-top shape by having sex at least three times a week, and not just around the time of the woman’s ovulation.
7. It’s F-R-E-E: No money? No problem! You can STILL have a fun and free date night… and between the two of you, you have everything you need for a romantic night in. If you want to turn things up a little, purchase a few candles, dim the lights, and put on some music to set the mood. There you go, your date night this week is 100% planned! If you want to spend a bit of cash and really liven things up, though – we really love The Game of Love! They have lots fun intimate ideas to spice up your bedroom life! Also, checking out this page is a MUST!
8. Creates & Builds a Bond: The last and possibly the most important benefit, because it applies directly to your marriage, is the bond you create when you are intimate with your spouse.
There is a ton more that sex can do for you – like lengthen your life, help you sleep better, prevent heart attacks, help you fight colds and the flu…the list goes on and on! Bottom line? Sex is designed to feel good for a reason, and the benefits of sex are real, so embrace it.
Also, Laura M. Brotherson, a certified sex therapist, created a fantastic resource for women to help them better understand their sexuality. Make sure to check out her Sexual Wholeness for Women Course if this is an area you want to improve! (Plus, she’s an AMAZING and experienced therapist that knows her stuff!)