Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas
It’s time to deck the halls (and the Christmas trees too!) Nothing says Christmas like a well-decorated tree, but we know it can seem a little overwhelming. That’s especially true if you’re looking for new ideas on how to decorate a Christmas tree but don’t know where to start. That’s why we’ve rounded up the very best Christmas tree decorating ideas to help make your decorating experience easy peasy and super fun! Are you ready to have the best looking tree on the block? Let’s take a look!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. To learn more about ’em, click here.
To help make your browsing a little bit easier, we’ve divided our list into 5 fabulous categories:
- Farmhouse Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas
- Elegant Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas
- White Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas
- Classic Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas
- DIY Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas
We promise you’re going to go nuts over these Christmas tree themes. Let’s dive in!
Farmhouse Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas
These rustic farmhouse Christmas tree decorating ideas will help you channel your inner Joanna Gaines (and who doesn’t want that?!). You’ll earn how to decorate a Christmas tree in the farmhouse style in no time at all! Ultimately, these rustic and farmhouse Christmas themes will show you exactly how to do it.
- Buffalo Check Plaid (Weekend Craft) – If you love buffalo check (don’t we all?!) you’re sure to love this. Additionally, it’s super cute.
- Cottage Christmas Tree (A Pop of Pretty) – Let red plaid take center stage!
- Burlap & Buffalo Check (Wilshire Collections) – Throw in a little burlap to make your buffalo check shine.
- Bold Black & White (Giggles Galore) – This farmhouse Christmas tree is simple and striking. In addition, it has the perfect pop of bold.
- Mason Jar Tree (Weekend Craft) – This mini mason jar Christmas tree is perfect for when you need something small. Additionally, it makes a great Christmas craft.
- Less is More (Better Homes & Gardens) – You’ll love how simple it is to pull of this rustic beauty!
- Flocked Farmhouse (The Turquoise Home) – Add a little flocking to your farmhouse look and be amazed.
- Simple Rustic (Sawdust 2 Stitches) – The beauty of rustic lies in its simplicity. In short, this tree demonstrates just that!
- Farmhouse Tree Skirt (Amazon) – This tree skirt adds a touch of farmhouse to your tree. In addition, it’s hand-sewn for that added touch.
- Rae Dunn Inspired Ornaments (Amber Simmons) – Learn how to DIY a farmhouse decor legend.
- Modern Farmhouse Tree (Lil Blue Boo) – The galvanized metal ornaments really make this tree shine.
- Ski Lodge Chic (The Happy Housie) – Get ready to hit the slopes!
- Budget Farmhouse Tree (Home Ideas) – This tree will help all your farmhouse wishes come true, without breaking the bank! However, it still looks like a million bucks!
- Rustic Neutral (Better Homes & Gardens) – This neutral tree is absolutely stunning with its subtle bursts of white and brown. Moreover, it matches almost any interior.
- Navy Buffalo Check & Turquoise (The Turquoise Home) – Who says buffalo check has to be black and white?
- Rustic Farmhouse (Lil Blue Boo) – This post is packed with ornament ideas for how to make your own rustic farmhouse tree.
- Rustic Burlap (Clean Living Clean Eating) – Burlap takes center stage and helps it shine. Similarly, it showcases that truly rustic feel.
- Classic Farmhouse (All Things Thrifty) – We love ourselves a good classic farmhouse scheme, and this tree takes the cake!
- Soft Farmhouse (Kristine in Between) – We love this post because it has a list of how to create the perfect rustic tree. Additionally, the tree itself is soft and simple.
- Bold Farmhouse (Eighteen25) – There’s nothing understated about this bad boy!
Elegant Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas
Learn how to create a sleek atmosphere with these elegant Christmas tree decorating ideas. Whether you’re looking for ways to make your Christmas super chic or are simply looking for easy and elegant Christmas tree themes, you’ll find it here. Seriously, go ahead and take a look!
- Royal Elegance (Kelly Nan) – This is truly a tree fit for a queen.
- Green & Gold (Classy Clutter) – Pair classic Christmas colors together for a visual treat. For example, use green and gold and consider throwing in pops of white.
- Gold & Blue (Blue Gray Gal) – You’ll be amazed at the elegant effect that gold and blue give off.
- Pink and Gold (Blue Gray Gal) – Add a touch of femininity with this soft Christmas tree. However, this tree is sure to appeal to men and women alike!
- Navy & Gold (Nick + Alicia) – Navy and gold work together with warm woods to create a soothing glow.
- Red Robins (Craftberry Bush) – We absolutely LOVE the little red robins that add a touch of whimsy to this tree. And the feathers add even more fun.
- Pastels (La Gatta Sul Tetto) – If you love pastels, you’re going to adore this one!
- Savannah’s Pink (Classy Clutter) – This one is tall and strong with bold pops of pink. How great is that?!
- Simple Silver (My Scandinavian Home) – If you love the Scandinavian style, you’re going to be obsessed with this simple silver tree.
- Red & White (Rachel Parcell) – We just can’t get enough of this majestic beauty!
- Mirrored Plexi Tree (Design Sponge) -This mirrored marvel will definitely turn heads and make a statement.
- Icy Blue (Blue Gray Gal) – When you think of Christmas colors, you may not think of blue, but this is sure to change your mind.
- Metallic Farmhouse (Giggles Galore) – This tree definitely thinks outside the box, and the copper magnolia blooms are so unique!
- Let it Snow (TomKat Studio) – Did you see the sweet sparkling owl? We’re dying over the cuteness.
- Black and White Chic (Lil Luna) – Pump the neutrals up full force with this black and white studded pine.
- Winter Wonderland (A Pumpkin & A Princess) – This tree will have you converted to all things silver, gold, and glorious. In other words, total Christmas satisfaction.
- Blush Vintage (Kara’s Party Ideas) – Rose gold and white work together to create a blushing masterpiece.
- Pointsettia & Plaid (The House of Wood) – Poinsettias aren’t just for pots anymore!
- Frosted Glam (The Sunny Side Up) – These elegant Christmas tree decorating ideas are frosted and fabulous.
- White & Gold Glam (Setting for Four) – Learn how to use mesh ribbon and white and gold ornaments for a truly stunning result.
White Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas
You’ll love these wintery white Christmas tree decorating ideas! This list of white Christmas tree themes has it all – from flocked beauties to white and wonderful tabletop trees. It’s never been this easy to learn how to decorate a Christmas tree with a gorgeous, white look.
- Icicle Covered (Better Homes & Gardens) – Nothing screams winter like ice so go ahead and drape your tree with it! However, you’ll be warm inside and out. In other words, it’s the best of both worlds.
- Three White Trees (Rachel Parcell) – We think everything is better in sets of three and that includes Christmas trees.
- Flocked & Feathered (Craftberry Bush) – Flocking and feathers combine to make one out of this world white wonder. Moreover, no one else will have anything like it!
- Clean White (Organize Nashville) – This tree combines the perfect blend of new and traditional.
- White Elegance (Shabbyfufu) – Looking for a white tree that also ticks the elegance box? Well, you’ve found it!
- Glass & Silver (Midwest Living) – If you love the sparkling look of glass and silver, this is definitely the tree for you.
- White & Pale Pink (French Country Cottage) – We think this would be the perfect touch to a little girl’s room! Additionally, it would make a fabulous addition to a white themed home.
- Tabletop White (Homemade Interest) – Ditch the hassle of a full-size tree for the convenience (and cuteness!) of this white tabletop version.
- Slim Flocked Tree (Rooms for Rent) – If you’re looking for something small, but you don’t want to compromise on height, this is the tree for you.
- Grey & White (Design, Dining & Diapers) – This grey and white tree utilizes a simple wooden tag ornament that can be found at any craft store. Above all, it’s uber easy.
- Skinny White (Centsational Style) – Another narrow yet slightly more space-friendly option!
- White & Gold (Decor Gold Designs) – Nothing says Christmas like gold so go ahead and pair it with white for a lighter feel.
- White Tabletop (Better Homes & Gardens) – You know how much we love those tabletop trees, and this one’s no exception!
- Silver and Gold (Randi Garrett Design) – Channel the classic Christmas carol ‘Silver & Gold’ for some serious Christmas tree inspo.
- Black and White (Craftberry Bush) – Do you want a white tree with a bit of extra pop? In that case, you need to check out this post.
- Lovely Lillies (The Painted Hive) – We love the idea of adorning your tree with lilies, especially if you live in a warmer clime.
- Snowy Flocked (A Burst of Beautiful) – Add a touch of silver and gold to a flocked tree and then wrap the whole thing in burlap. In other words, a tree with a totally rustic feel.
- Gold & White (Addison’s Wonderland) – This tall and majestic work of art utilizes white embellishments and a white fur tree skirt for ultimate charm.
- Black, White & Coral (Persia Lou) – This post shows you how to have a white tree without sacrificing small pops of color! In other words, a whole lotta pow!
- Green & White (Just Destiny) – Oh, Christmas tree! We can’t get enough of this green and white masterpiece.
Classic Tree Decorations
If old-timey Christmas tree themes are more your pace, this is definitely the list for you. These Christmas tree classics are trimmed in red and green and are super cozy. Additionally, they’re very simple to create and utilize classic elements such as pinecones and candy canes. How fun is that?!
- Classic Red & White (A Blissful Nest) – We love the warm and cozy feeling this evokes.
- Nostalgia (Inspired by Charm) – Take a step back in time with the appropriately named, Nolstagia tree.
- Woodland Glam (Rooms for Rent) – Use champagne colored ornaments and pine cones to create this woody effect.
- Advent Tree (Lil Luna) – The countdown to Christmas is on! Moreover, this tree is super cute to boot!
- Natural Classic (Studio McGee) – A buffalo check tree skirt and other classic options make this natural tree a total winner. In addition, it goes with just about any style of home decor.
- Minimal Scandinavian (Homey Oh My) – Even if your decoration supply is running low, this tree proves you can still create a stunning work of art. Moreover, it’s super fast and easy to decorate.
- 5 Step Tree (Remodelaholic) – 5 steps are all it takes to create this classic Christmas tree. For example, add lights, filler, and ribbon.
- Slim Colorful (Addison’s Wonderland) – If you love all things colorful, you’re going to adore this one!
- Mrs. Claus Tree (Design Dazzle) – e love this post because it has a list of how to create the perfect Mrs. Claus tree. How fun is that?!
- Christmas Classic (Just Destiny) – Throw a few specific items on your tree to make it shine.
- Simple Pinecone (Love Grows Wild) – This sweet pinecone adorned tree is the perfect addition to a bedroom.
- Neutral Natural (The Painted Hive) – You’ll love how simple it is to pull off this neutral beauty!
- Believe (Lil Luna) – If you love quote signs, you’re sure to love this. For example, “Merry and Bright” or “Have a Holly Jolly Christmas.”
- Perfectly Plaid (The Pickled Rose) – You’ll love this post because it shows you how to incorporate the perfect touch of plaid.
- Stress-Free Tree (Popsugar) – The name says it all! This tree is stress-free! However, it’s still super pretty!
- Flocked Favorite (Rooms for Rent) – This flocked favorite will have you feeling like you’re in a classic winter wonderland.
- Reindeer Tree (Lia Griffith) – Raise your hand if you love reindeer as much as we do!
- Mini Bedroom Tree (Addison’s Wonderland) – Bring bad the beauty of your childhood Christmases with this easy bedside tree.
- Perfect Poms (Lil Luna) – Learn how to decorate a classic Christmas tree, step by step.
- Cloth Ribbon (A Pretty Life) – We think this tree is over the top AMAZING!
DIY Decor Ideas
Add some flair to your Christmas tree with these fun and easy ideas. Or better yet, grab the whole family and make a night out of it! First, pick an idea from the list below. After that, grab the fam, crank up the tunes, and go to town crafting these do-it-yourself Christmas tree decoration ideas.
- Glittery pine cone ornaments (The Spruce Crafts) – Glitter makes everything better, right? In other words, your tree is about to be amazing.
- Star & Wood Garland (Design Loves Detail) – Craft a unique wooden star garland by following this tutorial.
- Popsicle Stick Ski Ornaments (Clean & Scentsible) – How cute are these?! Plus, they’re super easy to make.
- Wool Felt Garland (On Sutton Place) – Wool felt and wool felt balls combine to create a unique garland that’s perfect for any style of tree. Above all, no one else will have anything like it!
- Bottle Brush Snow Globe (Nick & Alicia) – You’ll adore these baby trees if you don’t have the time or space for the real deal.
- Rolled Paper Ornaments (Positively Splendid) – These rolled paper ornaments will add the perfect homemade touch to your Christmas tree decorations.
- Button Garland (One Thousand Oaks) – Put all of those spare buttons you have to good use!
- Recycled Tire Base (Lolly Jane) – This post teaches you how to craft your own unique and colorful tire tree base.
- Sheet Music Ornaments (The Graphics Fairy) – Old Christmas carol sheet music would be perfect for this clever idea. Additionally, it adds a great deal of homemade charm.
- Salt Dough Garland (Twelve on Main) – If you have flour, salt, and water, you have everything you need to create your own garland.
- Dream Tree Ornaments (Eighteen25) – These DIY ornaments will help your tree sparkle and shine.
- Dried Fruit Garland (Gardenista) – Add a touch of nature to your tree with this dried fruit garland.
- Essential Oil Ornament (Happy Deal – Happy Day) – This DIY essential oil ornament will help boost the Christmas scent in your home.
- Wooden Bead Garland (Making Joy & Pretty Things) – Wooden beads are all the rage! This post teaches you how to make your very own without breaking the bank.
- Rustic Pinecone Garland (Clean & Scentsible) – Pick up a few pinecones on your winter walk and add some cranberries for an easy garland.
- Mini Frosted Tree (Nick + Alicia) – These mini frosted trees make excellent DIY table toppers.
- Burlap Garland (Create Craft Love) – This idea works especially well for rustic themed trees.
- Pom Pom Garland (The Happier Homemaker) – Who doesn’t love a good pom pom? Make your own and add it to your tree for a fabulous DIY addition. Or if you don’t have time to make your own, check out this one!
- Paper Leaf Garland (The House that Lars Built) – If live plants aren’t your thing, you’ll love this paper leaf garland.
- Foraged Evergreen Garland (Fresh Exchange) – Adorn your tree and home with freshly foraged greens – we promise you’ll love it! Above all, the scent is to die for.
Is this a magical Christmas list or what?! For more holiday fun, be sure and check out our Christmas Gift Guide for Him and our Sexy Christmas Countdown Kit!
LOVE these ideas!!! Thank you so much for putting them all in one place.
OOOH perfect, thank you!!!
Gorgeous! This is making me so excited for Christmas!