EASY First Day of School Traditions
Summer is starting to wind down, and before you know it, school will be back in session! To help you celebrate and make it extra special for your kids, we’ve rounded up the very best first day of school traditions.
From first day of school signs to ideas for the first week of school activities, we’ve got it all! We’ve even included some fun first day of preschool activities for those of you with little kiddos.
By establishing these kinds of first day of school traditions, your kids will be more excited and experience an easier transition. Plus, you’ll make some great memories as a family and have tons of fun doing it. Are you ready to take a peek at everything this list has to offer? Keep reading!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. To learn more about ’em, click here.
1. Celebrate School Year’s Eve – Why not turn the night before the first day of school into a party and give the kids a reason to celebrate?!
2. Back to School Dinner Party – Back-to-school time is ALL about making new goals, right? This super cute goal-setting dinner party is the perfect way to do just that with the whole family!
3. Back to School Fashion Show – Let the kids show off their new outfits with a family “Back to School Fashion Show.”
4. Back to School Breakfast – Surprise the kids with a special breakfast before school.
5. First Day of School Interview Page – Document all of the anticipation and excitement of the first day of school with a back-to-school interview!
6. First Day of School Memory Page – See how much your child changes over the year with these school memory pages.
7. First Day of School Photos – These printable first day of school signs make perfect photo props! This is definitely one of the most popular first day of school traditions.
8. Back to School Binder – These back-to-school binder printables include sections for homework, artwork, grades, and calendars. You could even use them to store your child’s first week of school activities.
9. Back to School Snack Mix – This “Back to School Snack Mix” is definitely one of the tastiest first day of school traditions!
11. First Day of School Lunchbox Love Notes – Print these adorable lunchbox love notes and tie them onto a treat or two to tuck into their lunchbox. Think of them as miniature first day of school signs that are sure to put a smile on your child’s face.
12. Giant After-School Snack – Surviving the first day can be rough, so your kiddos deserve an extra special treat.
13. Back to School T-Shirt – How fun is this handprint t-shirt idea? It’s something your child will treasure forever and is definitely one to add to your first day of preschool activities list.
14. Special First Day of School Lunch – This collection of lunchbox printables is the perfect way to make the first day of school sweet.
15. School Supply Scavenger Hunt – Add a little excitement by sending your kids on a back-to-school scavenger hunt in search of their new school supplies. If you’re a teacher, you could do a similar idea as part of your classroom’s first week of school activities.
16. Back to School Candy Grams – Make your first day of school traditions extra sweet with these clever back-to-school candy grams!
17. School Bus Cake – Celebrate the first day of school with this cute (and delicious) school bus cake! Little ones especially will have fun with this idea, so be sure to include it as part of your first day of preschool activities.
18. Water Bomb the Bus – If you’re looking for an over-the-top, extra-fun first day of school tradition, meet the kids at the bus stop and water bomb them with water balloons! Have you seen these water balloons?! If you haven’t, drop everything and order some STAT!
19. Go Shopping for Study Buddies – How darling is this back-to-school tradition? Take the kids shopping for a new “study buddy” stuffed animal!
20. Lunch Box Notes – You can never have enough lunchbox notes! We love that this set includes jokes kids will love.
21. Back to School Time Capsule – This first day of school time capsule will help you to preserve those precious memories. You can also enjoy looking through it together on the last day of school!
22. Back to School Balloon Surprise – How fun would THIS be for your child to wake up to?
23. Jitter Glitter – If your child is feeling anxious, this “Jitter Glitter” might be the perfect thing to help them regain a little confidence.
24. Back to School Bracelets – Wear these bracelets while you’re apart to keep each other close at heart.
25. Boo Hoo Breakfast for Moms – Most back-to-school traditions are for the kids, but here’s a tradition that is perfect for the MOMS!
For even MORE fun ideas and printables, check out our “Back to School Ideas” Pinterest Board—it is seriously loaded with back-to-school fun and inspiration! We also have a Back to School Shopping List loaded with all your kiddos will need!
Whatever first day of school tradition you choose to surprise your kids with, we know it will be a BLAST! Have fun!