Romantic Ways to Propose
There are so many marriage proposal ideas out there, but out of all the romantic ways to propose, the most important element is finding an idea that will be personalized for YOUR love. Are you overwhelmed at the thought of planning the perfect, memorable proposal? The marriage proposal is a story that you will remember forever and will often share with others throughout your life–talk about pressure! Don’t worry for another second. There are so many creative and romantic ways to propose. We have compiled this huge list full of marriage proposal ideas that will be sure to get the wheels turning so that you can knock your sweetheart’s socks off with the perfect marriage proposal! Use these ways to propose marriage as inspiration for creating your own perfect moment.
Proposing Marriage to the love of your life can definitely be an overwhelming experience. Especially when you are trying to be creative, romantic, and original. While getting to the question you’ve been dying to ask can be frightening, The Dating Divas have decided to take the burden of thinking up amazing marriage proposal ideas off your shoulders. We’ve scoured the internet to find the BEST, most creative, most original, and most romantic proposals out there. Whether you want to do something elaborate or something low-key, these ideas are sure to make you the man of her dreams. It all starts with a great idea and ends with the right question!
The Best Ways to Propose
The best way to propose is the way that will be most meaningful and memorable for your sweetheart. So, dig deep! Think of all the memories you have built together. How can you incorporate those memories or the things that define your relationship into an amazing proposal idea? The best way to propose is one that feels special and unique to your relationship. If family and friends are a huge part of your love, add them into your marriage proposal ideas somehow! Did your soon to be spouse mention something they love or have always wanted to do? Find a way to make it a part of this very special moment!
- Marry Me Lip Sync – Watch this live lip-dub with the song “Marry Me”. This is absolutely darling! This guy was super creative and paid special attention to all the details (i.e. recording her reaction AND the live lip dub full of the most important people). It’s one of those marriage proposal ideas made to be replayed over and over again.
- Meme Proposal – (Viewer Beware – he DOES use some curse-words on his memes.) Besides that, this video will make you want to cry. We love the music playing as you read the memes, but most importantly, you can see by his facial expressions how much love he has for his girl. It will truly touch your heart because you can see, his heart is ALL in!
- Proposal Movie Trailer – This guy created his OWN trailer and then had a local theater play it. His girlfriend was in the audience with her family. He gets points for being creative, romantic, AND involving her loved ones.
- Pictionary Proposal – Manipulate a Pictionary card on Photoshop to say “Marry Me” and then rig the game so that your girlfriend would have to draw it. Um… can we say, “Genius!” He made a few fake guesses, like “propose” and “engage,” to make her work for it. After choosing the right moment, he shouted: “Marry Me!” Then, remaining smooth, he pulled out the ring and asked, “Will you marry me?” So sweet!
- Newspaper Ad – Take your girl on a picnic, and suggest she take a gander at your local newspaper. Get down on bended knee just as she gets to the page that reads: “I love you with all my heart. We’ve been with each other for ____ and my love for you grows more each year. You are a beautiful and caring person and have always been there for me 100% through the bad times. My family adores you and I cannot imagine my life without you in it. I hope you will say yes and make me the happiest man alive.” Cue heart swells and tear-filled eyes now.
- Mass Singalong – This romantic guy proposed to his girl during a night out in London. As they strolled through Piccadilly Circus a professional 100-strong choir launched into ‘Can’t Take My Eyes Off You’ by Frankie Valli, backed by over 200 dancers that he had recruited via Facebook. Wowzas! Talk about a man that wants to make his girl swoon and feel like she is the most important woman in the world.
- Mario Proposal – This woman broke from tradition and proposed to her man. This can easily be reversed, but we think that she should get some serious points for bravado and creativity. Not all of us ladies would have the guts to propose to our guys, but this girl put some real thought into her proposal to her man.
- The Subway Proposal – The best proposal idea! This guy got a choir to practice and perform a mass singalong on a subway. We absolutely love how they pull off this proposal because it comes across as spontaneous, yet you can tell his girl did not see it coming!
- Bookworm Proposal – Purchase 2 copies of a book your sweetie is DYING to read. Hollow out one (click the link for the picture) and secure the ring inside. Wrap up both books. Plan a romantic evening and give her the hollowed out one at the end. ENJOY your proposal! After she says, “Yes!” you can give her the real book. You can go ALL out as he did and base the whole date night off the book with riddles, printables, activities, etc. That would make it even MORE memorable.
- Pug Proposal – Imagine 16 pugs, heart-shaped balloons, and Central Park. This proposal was made possible by the pug meet-up group of New York, complete strangers pitching in for love! What an amazing proposal idea!
- Drone Proposal – A drone proposal?! YEP. This guy went all out and while at a park with his girlfriend, a drone flew in with the ring attached. He plays it off well, acting as if he’s only curious as to what is attached to the drone. Then drops down to one knee and asks his girl the life-changing question.
- Pinterest Proposal – This guy pulls out all the stops using his girlfriend’s wedding Pinterest board! He brings to life her dream wedding without her having to lift a finger. She gets proposed to AND married on the same day! Now that is one of the most impressive marriage proposal ideas!
- The Original Children’s Book Proposal – What happens when you bring together a library and a completely original book illustrating and narrating the couple’s relationship?! You get a creative, sweet, romantic marriage proposal. The main characters in the book he created are a giraffe and a gorilla, AND the whole story rhymes!
- Curtain Call Proposal – Does your girl have a flair for the dramatic? Get in touch with the stage manager of an appropriately themed production and propose after the cast’s curtain call. She’ll love that you focused on something she loves!
- Aquarium Proposal – Pay the divers at an aquarium to put on a proposal show inside their biggest fish tank. Give them a handwritten sign that says, “Will you marry me?” to hold up against the glass. Then as you are watching your favorite underwater mammals swim around… bam! Get down on one knee and ask her the question that will change both of your lives. As far as marriage proposal ideas go, this one is a sure winner!
Marriage Proposal Ideas
Sometimes it only takes watching other proposals to get your head in the right space to think of the perfect marriage proposal ideas for the love of your life! Each of these ideas is so different from each other, but each idea is meant to make your sweetheart feel like the most important person in the world for that moment. How will you make your marriage proposal the most special moment of her life?
- Treasure Hunt Proposal – Send your girlfriend on a treasure hunt. Start with a clue at home, then send her on a tour of your favorite spots all over town. When she gets to the last hint, the prize should be you on one knee.
- Skywriter Proposal – Hire a skywriter to spell out your proposal for everyone around to see. Marriage proposal ideas that are grand like this one will never be forgotten.
- T-Shirt Proposal – Gather a bunch of your friends and family for a party. Have everyone in attendance put on a T-shirt bearing one of the letters in the phrase “Will you marry me?” When you walk into the room with your girlfriend, suggest a group picture and let the shirts speak for themselves.
- Ribbon Proposal – Tie a red-velvet ribbon from one spot in your home to another. Attach little notes recalling perfect moments in your relationship along the way. You wait at the last stop, ring in hand.
- Podcast Proposal – Create your own podcast proposal and sneak it onto her iPod.
- Make a Video – Upload a video of your proposal to YouTube (tell her you have a hysterical home movie to show her). Then present her with the ring at the very end.
- Photograph Proposal – Hire a professional photographer to take a ‘couples session’ for you and your girlfriend. Then propose to her during your photo shoot while the photographer captures every precious moment.
- Text Message Scavenger Hunt – Take the scavenger hunt high-tech: Send your girl a text message leading her to a secret spot. Keep her engaged by text messaging her sweet nothings along the way (and directions, of course) as you lead her to you, on bended knee.
- Webpage Proposal – Create a web page declaring your love and intentions. Leave your sweetie a clue with the web address written on it — don’t say a word. After the proposal has been officially accepted (which, of course, it will be!), she can proudly send the page to friends and family.
- Crossword Puzzle Proposal – Create your own crossword puzzle and be prepared to help her work it out over breakfast. Create a crossword puzzle with clues asking her to marry you.
- Written In The Stars Proposal – Spell your proposal out in glow-in-the-dark star stickers on your ceiling. Snuggle up, turn the lights off and wait for the inevitable gasp. You could even parlay this into a full date night ending with your proposal, using our Shooting for The Stars date night idea.
- Pumpkin Carving Proposal – During your annual Halloween prep, challenge her to a pumpkin-carving contest and carve the words “Marry me” into your pumpkin. Follow it up with one ofthese50 Fun, Fall Date Ideas to make the night even more memorable.
- Kite Proposal – Write, “Will you marry me?” on the underside of a kite and take flight one warm, breezy afternoon.
- Surprise Picnic Proposal – Have a friend or family member set up a picnic for you in a park. Take your girlfriend for a hike on a route where you’ll stumble upon this surprise proposal picnic. A few soft words, hugs, and kisses later… you’ve created the perfect moment to propose.
- Garden Proposal – Propose in a flower or botanic garden when everything is in bloom. A beautiful backdrop from a romantic proposal!
- Barbecue Proposal – Gather your families together for a barbecue and make it a family affair.
- Sand Castle Proposal – Go to the beach and casually build a sand castle (at a safe distance from the ocean!), and place the ring on the highest turret. Then invite her to admire your handiwork.
- Furry Friend Proposal – Buy a pet that she’s always wanted (bunny, kitten, puppy) and loosely tie the ring around its neck. Or substitute a stuffed animal — still cute, but less maintenance!
- Singing Telegram Proposal – Make a list of 10 reasons you’d like to marry your beloved. Then have them delivered via singing telegram or send them written on individual note cards over the course of a day (or 10!), with the last card arriving by personal messenger (you!).
Romantic Ways to Propose
The wheels are turning! You are skimming through these marriage proposal ideas and getting sparks of inspiration. Great! If you are trying to create the most romantic marriage proposal, focus in on the details. What little additions would make this moment even more special or meaningful? Brainstorm what would make your love feel the most special the moment that you propose. The words you say, the gifts you give, and the people who are there could all be key elements.
- Proposal From Above – It takes a bit of choreography to get 50-plus people to spell out “Marry Me” for a wedding proposal, but from this view that memory was worth all the time involved! Simply gather up all of your family and close friends to do the job while you have a Romantic Rooftop Date with your girl. Out of all these marriage proposal ideas, this one is one of the best. Simple enough to pull off without a crazy amount of stress, but still such a grand gesture of love!
- Pretty Woman Proposal – Make her feel like the star she is and set your proposal to the scene of her favorite romantic movie. You could arrange your own “Pretty Woman” moment (the finale, of course): Rent a white limo and climb through the moon-roof with flowers in hand to proclaim your love as you arrive at her place.
- Funny Movie Proposal – Another funny movie proposal? Steal from that famous “Say Anything” scene: Park yourself outside her house with a stereo blaring your favorite tune and propose on the front lawn. Some marriage proposal ideas–like this one–are true classics. You can’t go wrong!
- Flash Mob – Who doesn’t love a Flash Mob!? This would be a moment of pure awe for her! Especially if she loves to dance. Get her dancing along with everyone else right before the big moment. She’ll feel like she’s the real star of the show!
- Sweet Serenade – Are you musically inclined? Then you will enjoy serenading your sweetheart with a song written just for her. All you need is an instrument and the setting possibilities are limitless. Try her favorite coffee shop or where you first met. Afraid of singing in public? Then record yourself playing and send it to her in a video or recording. Either way, your love for her will be in the song and she’ll be sure to enjoy it.
- Roller Coaster Proposal – Head to your local amusement park that happens to take pictures on one of the roller coasters. Put your sweetheart in the front seat, while everyone behind you holds a sign with the words, “Will You Marry Me?” Purchase the roller coaster picture right after, and once she sees the message… drop down on one knee!
- Christmas Lights Proposal – A romantic proposal over the holidays can easily be achieved when you make it known to everyone that happens to drive by your house that you are in love with your woman! Using Christmas lights, light up your front yard and have your girl drive by to check out your handy work. With you standing there, ring in hand, you’ll get to see the true JOY all over her face!
- Caricature Proposal – Have your caricatures drawn by one of the street artists near you, but you’ll want to arrange beforehand to have the artist draw you with speaking bubbles above your heads. Yours would say “Will you marry me”- and hers is blank. Then hand her a pen to write in her answer. Then you can have it professionally framed to give your bride on your wedding day.
- Photobooth Proposal – Print out some fun photobooth props and take her on a photobooth date night! Throughout your photo booth session, try to capture every fun moment possible with your props. Then at the very end, give her a wedding veil prop, while you present her with a wedding ring. You’ll be able to capture her reaction to your proposal in pictures!
- “Up” Inspired Proposal – Grab a big bouquet of balloons with an “our adventure book” and a ring box to recreate these extravagant “UP” inspired marriage proposal ideas!
- “Marry Me Mug“ – If your girl loves her hot chocolate, tea, or coffee, this would make for a unique, stress-free way of asking her to marry you. Fill this Marry Me Mug up with her favorite beverage of choice, then wait until she’s finished to drop down on one knee.
- Street Art Mural – You know how it is when kids ask their dads about how he proposed to their moms? Was it romantic, was it interesting, was it plastered all over a heavily graffitied wall on a busy New York city street? The only catch? You’ll need to find a building owner who will allow you to paint the building or use it temporarily for the mural. You may have to have it painted over afterward… but it would totally be worth the effort!
- Viva Las Vegas – Why not make a trip of it! Go have some fun in Las Vegas and choose from so many exciting options of marriage proposals in Sin City!
- Balloon Proposal – Attach photos of the two of you to balloons from moments in your relationship. Then have one balloon read, “Will you marry me?”
- X-ray Proposal – If she is in the medical field, this would make for an appropriate proposal! Especially if she happens to be an ultrasound technician. Create an X-Ray just for her spelling out your proposal.
- Banner Proposal – Not all proposals are private affairs. This man went public in a big way, proposing in the middle of hundreds of cyclists riding through Chicago. Incorporating your personality or favorite things into the proposal can prevent it from being cookie-cutter and make the memory that much sweeter.
- Scrapbook Proposal – Take pictures of yourself holding up each letter to spell out “Will You Marry Me?” Then using photoshop, create a collage of all your pictures to put the question together into one amazing picture. Then put together a digital scrapbook of pictures of the two of you throughout your relationship. On the very last page, put your collage proposal. This is the perfect keepsake! You could even have wedding guests or close friends sign this book in lieu of a traditional signature book.
- Memory Lane Proposal – Send your woman on a clue hunt all over the city. Places where you have been together or made memories. You could even recreate your first date and then propose at the end of the night.
- Romantic Helicopter Ride Proposal– Rent a helicopter to fly over an area where you have the question written out in candles (for an evening flight), rocks, or some other material you can see from above.
- Hot Air Balloon Ride – Nothing spells ROMANTIC like soaring in the clouds above and dropping down on one knee to propose to the one you love. A hot air balloon ride is a timeless romantic move that will leave your one true love in awe of you.
- Christmas Tree Shopping – ‘Tis the season to propose to the love of your life! Pick out your first tree together, propose, then decorate your tree that night. Cuddle up together and share your favorite Christmas memories, including this one, and the traditions you want to create with your own family.
- Billboard Proposal – Go big or go home! Put your proposal in plain sight for the world to see… but more importantly, where your girlfriend will see it on her way to meet you for a romantic evening.
Simple Proposal Ideas
A grand gesture including hundreds of people and months of planning may not be a good fit for your relationship. Some couples prefer a smaller, more intimate feel. Simple marriage proposal ideas can be just as meaningful, with half the stress! What really matters is the relationship between the two of you. If you are able to make your sweetheart feel surprised and special, then you have succeeded! Use these simple marriage proposal ideas to create the perfect moment for your relationship!
- “Will you Marry Me” Ice Cream – Let’s face it, we all scream for ice cream. If your darling loves ice cream as much as the rest of us, then a Ben and Jerry’s proposal is a perfect idea. You can request your own personalized label on your favorite Ben and Jerry’s pint. Stick the pint labeled ‘Will You Marry Me?’ in your freezer and wait for your fiance-to-be to take a look. It will melt their heart (pun intended).
- Secret Message Necklace Proposal – Check out these darling “secret message” envelope necklaces! It looks like you are just giving her a nice piece of jewelry, but inside there is the message that says “Marry Me?” Completely sweet since she’ll always have the necklace to wear to remember the moment.
- Personalized Puzzle – Does your sweetheart love putting together puzzles on a rainy day! Suggest you put one together for a quite date night at home. Little does she know… this puzzle will change her life!
- Carved In A Tree – If you both love the great outdoors, then take her for a hike in the mountains. Pick a tree and tell her you want to carve your initials in the tree. Then carve “Will You Marry Me?” along with your initials.
- Message In A Bottle Proposal -Make your own message in a bottle. On the night before a beach day you’ve planned, write a love poem on a piece of parchment paper, roll it into an antique bottle with a cork and bury it in a well-marked spot in the sand near your towels. Be sure you “find” the bottle as you dig together–and have the ring at the ready.
- Origami Message – Use this personalized Origami Message Lotus Flower to hide the ring in AND ask the question!
- Time Capsule Proposal – Tell your girlfriend you want to make a time capsule together to bury and dig up years into the future. As you’re gathering the items, say it wouldn’t be complete without a picture of the moment you two got engaged! Have a camera ready to take that shot right after you present her with the ring. Then, you can continue to add to your Time Capsule throughout the years of your marriage. This is one of the most timeless marriage proposal ideas out there!
- Cracker Jack Proposal – Make her ring the surprise in a box of Cracker Jack. You could even take her to a sporting event to really bring your proposal up a notch!
- Scrabble Board – Spell it out during game night! Whether you are in the middle of an intense Scrabble battle, or just finishing it up, this is a sweet way to ask your soon-to-bride to marry you.
- Sunrise Hike Proposal – Take her for a sunrise hike to take in the gorgeous outdoors. Try to hike somewhere with a splendid overlook at the end. Then drop down on one knee and make your heart known!
- Wedding Cake Taste Test – How fun would this be!? Take your girlfriend to taste test cakes for a creative date night. Then have the bakery present your last cake with a bride and groom on top… and a ring box as well! Little does your lady know… you just killed two birds with one stone and pick out your wedding cake at the same time!
- Geocatching Treasure – How FUN would it be for geocaching enthusiasts to have this be their proposal? The boyfriend could “bury” his proposal and they could set out to find the treasure… that she would have NO clue he buried. So sweet! Make a special date night memory on top of one of the most memorable moments in their lives.
- Easter Egg Hunt Proposal – Hey, no matter how old you get, everyone loves an Easter egg hunt! Hide love notes, candy, and of course, the ring, into Easter Eggs and send her on the hunt that is going to change her life (and yours) forever!
- “Clue” Inspired Proposal – Game-board enthusiasts… this guy has cracked the code, and all other men need to take notes. How perfectly sweet is this Clue-inspired proposal?! The plan is simple: Play a good-natured game of “Clue” with your girlfriend’s family and everyone intentionally throw the game, ensuring that she is the one to open the solution envelope. (Spoiler: It was you, in the dining room, with the ring!)
- Sidewalk Chalk Proposal – Use sidewalk chalk to guide her to a specific destination where you want to propose. Have special messages written for her to read along the way. Then have “Will You Marry Me?” spelled out in chalk right in front of you kneeling with her ring in hand.
- “Try It On” Shoe Proposal – Take your sweetheart to a really nice restaurant for dinner. Then gift her with a pair of gorgeous shoes in her size. Insist that she try them on right then and when she stands up, drop to one knee and proposed. It’s simple, sweet and memorable!
- Rock Poem Proposal – Use a rock from your backyard and write her a poem using the rock as a reference point. How, you wonder? Your relationship is solid, you want to be the rock that she clings to for all the ups and downs, she has a quiet strength that you admire, a marriage needs a strong foundation… etc. Then present her with a ring once she’s finished reading your special poem.
- Beach Proposal – Take her to the beach, tell her not to look while you’re drawing out something for her and write the proposal in the sand.
- Build-a-Bear Proposal – Purchase a build-a-bear bride and groom then present them to her, saying you made a cute bear just for her. Record your proposal on the voice chip inside the groom. And have her record her response inside the bride. She’ll love it because she can re-play your proposal whenever she wants!! Over and over, and over again!
- Dessert Proposal -Put together a gift basket of yummy delicacies — the best chocolate or pastries — and hide the ring among the presents (in its box, so it doesn’t get lost in the goodies). Marriage proposal ideas are much sweeter with sweets involved!
- Fortune Cookie Proposal – Create a personalized fortune cookie with your own proposal message. Make sure she reads it aloud for everyone to hear. This is one of the perfect marriage proposal ideas to end the list with! It’s sweet, creative, and gets the job done!
No matter what marriage proposal ideas caught your eye, the most important thing is the spin you put on it! Whether you want to go big or keep it simple, any of these marriage proposal ideas are sure to woo the woman in your life and make your proposal extraordinary. Remember to stay true to the things you both love and the elements of your relationship that make it amazing and you can’t go wrong. Turn up the creativity and give her the marriage proposal of her dreams.