It’s October! In honor of the month of Halloween, we rounded up all our favorite pumpkin decorating ideas and created a giant list of…
Easy Pumpkin Decorating Ideas
Whether you’re looking for creative pumpkin designs for a family night, new pumpkin decorating ideas for your home, OR just want to find some new pumpkin designs for a decorating contest – you’re sure to find the perfect ones here!
Psst… carving pumpkins also makes a fabulous date night! Take a trip to the Pumpkin Patch and collect your pumpkins! Then have a fun family night picking out pumpkin designs and helping the kiddos carve their pumpkins. Save YOUR pumpkins for an at-home date after the kiddos are in bed.
To make browsing easier, we’ve divided them into two categories:
- 60 Creative Pumpkin Carving Ideas
- 90 Creative No-Carve Pumpkin Ideas
Because carving pumpkins can be a lot of fun but, let’s face it, after several hours of helping three little ones clean out pumpkin guts – NO carve ideas are sounding pretty good! Whichever route you go, you’re sure to find LOTS of pumpkin decorating ideas below. If you do go the carving route we highly suggest grabbing a kit like this before getting started on your pumpkin designs!
READY. SET. SCROLL…
Creative Pumpkin Decorating Ideas
1. Marshmallow Teeth– Just add mini marshmallows to your usual jack-o-lantern to make fun teeth!
4. Sweetheart Pumpkins– How cute are these his and hers pumpkins? These pumpkin designs are perfect for sweet Fall date night!
9. Mummy Pumpkin– Instead of the usual jack-o-lantern, try this fun mummy.
11. White Mummy Pumpkin– Use a white pumpkin or gourd to make this clever mummy. Just re-stack the cut slices in a different order to make the effect.
13. Thought Bubble Pumpkin– Here’s a super simple idea to add some fun to your usual jack-o-lanterns. Let the kids each make a thought bubble for their pumpkin! Don’t feel like cutting out thought bubbles? Try these!
14. Baby’s First Halloween– How darling is this?! Use the outline of your baby’s hands and feet to make his first jack-o-lantern.
18. Haunted Mansion– Carve the windows out of a haunted mansion for an impressive yet simple display.
19. House Pumpkin– Need a few pumpkin decorating ideas that your most imaginative kid will love? Turn your pumpkin into a miniature house, complete with windows and door. Fairy garden kits are perfect for this style of pumpkin!
20. Lantern Pumpkins– Instead of a jack-o-lantern, why not just make a lantern?
21. Monogram Pumpkins– Monogram your family pumpkins with your initials.
24. Pumpkin Flames– How impressive is this pile of pumpkins? Carve out flame shapes to make your own pumpkin bonfire.
25. Skeleton Arms– These creepy, clever pumpkin designs look like skeleton arms are really reaching up from under the ground. Yikes!
26. Birdcage Pumpkin– Carve your pumpkin into a cage for a plastic bird from the craft store.
27. Wall Projection Pumpkin– This two-sided pumpkin has a Halloween message and projects a spooky face onto the wall.
30. Pumpkin Diorama– Carve a large hole into your pumpkin and create a fall diorama.
33. Belle– If you’re an expert at pumpkin carving, you might try your hand at this beautiful Belle pumpkin.
34. Pumpkin Cars– Turn your pumpkin on its side to transform it into a car. Mini pumpkins or gourds make the perfect wheels.
35. Car & Camper– Why not make a whole car and camper combo?
36. Ghoul Bus– Instead of a school bus, try your hand at this Halloween ghoul bus. Pretty clever, right?
37. Carousel– If you’re up for a little bit of a challenge, try making this haunted carousel.
38. Picture Frame Pumpkin– I just love this picture frame pumpkin. Click to see what it looks like when it’s all lit up at night.
40. Cat and Fishbowl– Or use two pumpkins to make a cat and fishbowl combo.
41. Tinkerbell & Pixie Dust– Doesn’t this pumpkin look amazing?! You won’t believe how easy it is to make Tinkerbell’s pixie dust trail.
42. Owl– This owl design is super cute and super easy to pull off!
43. Bert & Ernie– The cutest pumpkin decorating ideas for creating everyone’s favorite Sesame Street characters. Just use a long tall pumpkin and a short fat pumpkin to make Bert and Ernie jack-o-lanterns.
44. Cookie Monster– How fun is this Cookie Monster jack-o-lantern? I love the pile of cookies inside his mouth.
45. Ninja Turtle– Have any TMNT fans at your house? Let him carve his pumpkin into his favorite ninja turtle.
47. Princess Leia– This one’s for all the Star Wars fans out there. Try making a Princess Leia jack-o-lantern.
48. E.T.– This E.T. jack-o-lantern is just too clever for Halloween. I love that they have it covered in a crate and everything.
49. Olaf– With Frozen being so popular, I imagine an Olaf jack-o-lantern would be a favorite this year.
52. Bear & Honey Pot– Twelve pumpkins and gourds of varying sizes are used to make this cute bear and his honey pot.
53. Baseball– Here’s an idea for all you baseball fans. Turn your pumpkin into a giant baseball!
55. Robot– Check out this fun robot pumpkin. What kid wouldn’t like to create his own robot for Halloween?
57. Apple Core– This apple core pumpkin was made using pieces of painted pumpkin.
58. Hamburger– The pumpkin gets major creativity points. Turn your pumpkin into the buns of a hamburger and save the seeds for the top bun. Genius!
Creative No-Carve Pumpkin Ideas
So, you want to get in the Halloween spirit but getting out a super sharp knife with small kiddos underfoot isn’t your idea of fun? Don’t worry, these creative pumpkin decorating ideas can easily be recreated with a few, simple craft supplies. We’ve got 90 of the perfect painted pumpkin ideas for kids of all ages!
1. Black-Glittered Pumpkins– Black glitter and glue are all you need for these fun pumpkins.
3. Spiderweb Pumpkin– This knotted spiderweb pumpkin looks complex but is actually pretty simple.
12. Pumpkin Scarecrow– Or stack your pumpkins to make your own version of a scarecrow.
13. Pumpkin Man– Instead of a snowman, make a pumpkin man!
14. Pumpkin Family– Let each person in the family re-create a pumpkin version of themselves. Don’t you just love the carrot and parsnip noses on these cute pumpkins?
17. Frankenstein– This just may be the cutest Frankenstein I’ve ever seen.
20. Football Players– This one is for all the football fans out there! Turn your pumpkin into a football player. You can even paint your favorite team’s name on the helmet.
21. Football– Here’s another fun option for the football fans- just turn your pumpkin into a football! Super simple!
24. Humpty Dumpty– Decorate your pumpkin like Humpty Dumpty, complete with the wall.
30. Oscar the Grouch– Make an Oscar the Grouch pumpkin and stick it in a garbage can. They even had a paper street sign by it that said “Sesame Street.”
33. Mike & Sully– Paint a large and small pumpkin to create the famous duo from Monsters Inc.
34. Mrs. Potts & Chip– Can you believe how perfect these Beauty and the Beast themed pumpkins are?!
35. Mickey Mouse Face– This is the perfect Mickey Mouse pumpkin, complete with ears and tail!
37. Nemo– Your pumpkin’s already the right color for everyone’s favorite clown fish. Just add fins!
38. Charlie Brown– Use two pumpkins to create everyone’s favorite Peanuts character, Charlie Brown.
39. Snoopy– I can’t get over how creative this one is. Check out Snoopy, the flying ace.
42. Pluto– Okay, so it’s not technically a pumpkin- but a butternut squash is the perfect shape to create this Pluto masterpiece.
43. Hello Kitty– This Hello Kitty is super cute and super easy too!
45. Arthur– No painting is needed to make this clever Arthur pumpkin.
46. Perry the Platypus– Any Phineas and Ferb fans? A Perry the Platypus pumpkin is sure to be a hit!
47. Stay Puft Marshmallow Man– This Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is made out of 10 different pumpkins!
49. Veggie Tales– Use a variety of pumpkins and gourds to create your favorite Veggie Tale characters.
51. The Lorax– Check out the fun furry eyebrows and mustache on this Lorax pumpkin.
53. Smurf– This Papa Smurf pumpkin is one of my favorites. I love the cotton beard and eyebrows.
54. Yoda– Here’s another fun option for all the Star Wars fans.
55. R2-D2– Or if you really want to go all out, try your hand at this impressive R2-D2 pumpkin!
57. Pooh’s Hunny Pot– Here’s another one of our favorite pumpkin decorating ideas: Turn your pumpkin into Winnie the Pooh’s hunny pot.
60. The Great Pumpkin– Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin is a Halloween classic. So why not create the Great Pumpkin?
61. Penguin– This pumpkin penguin is darling and looks simple enough for even the amateur painter.
63. Cow– Ten different pumpkins were used to make this darling Boo-Cow.
64. Pig– I love how they used the pumpkin stem to make the pig’s snout- so clever.
69. Cat Face– These black cats are so easy to create, the kids can do most of it on their own which basically makes it one of the all-time best pumpkin decorating ideas.
70. Wildcat– You won’t believe how easy this cute wildcat pumpkin is to create.
71. Bat– Just add wings to black painted pumpkins to make the perfect bats.
76. Pumpkin Spider– Use three pumpkins to make a spooky spider for the yard.
77. Caterpillar– Use a whole line of pumpkins to create this fun caterpillar character.
79. Globe– Let the kids help you decorate your pumpkin and learn a little geography at the same time with this creative globe pumpkin.
80. Turkey– I love how they transformed this pumpkin into a turkey dinner. It’s actually one of the more simple pumpkin decorating ideas, too – isn’t that surprising?!
81. Popcorn Bowl– How genius is this?! Turn your pumpkin into a bowl of popcorn.
83. Pumpkin Pie– Here’s an idea for all the math nerds. How about a little Pumpkin Pi?
84. Strawberry– I love ideas like this that are both easy and clever. Seeds were glued on the outside of a red painted pumpkin to create a giant strawberry.
87. Bag of M&Ms– Lots of painted pumpkins were put together to create a whole bag full of M&Ms – seriously genius!
88. Rootbeer Float– People are so creative! Check out how they turned this pumpkin into an A&W root beer float.
90. Ice Cream Cone– Stack your pumpkins to make scoops of ice cream on a cone. SO cute and clever!
Didn’t I tell you we found some great pumpkin decorating ideas?! That should be enough ideas to help you win the pumpkin decorating contest every year… for the rest of your life!
For MORE fun Halloween ideas check out our 50 Fun Halloween Foods.
And for MORE pumpkin ideas check out our Ultimate Pumpkin Recipe Round-Up.