Halloween Scavenger Hunt Ideas
This Halloween season, treat your family to a few fun tricks! Your family will totally love to be surprised with the ultimate Halloween Scavenger Hunt! We have everything you need to pull off a family-friendly challenge that includes clues, games, and activities to compete together! It is the perfect activity to get the whole family into the Halloween spirit and, as usual, we have it all ready for you in a printable download!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. To learn more about ’em, click here.
Our talented designer Karyn, from the site If Actually, created this super fun Halloween Scavenger Hunt that not only includes clever clues, but also activities to complete! That is right! This unique scavenger hunt will have your family searching throughout your home for clue bags that contain a task or challenge. Then, families must work together to complete the task before they can move on to the next clue. Fun, right?
Halloween Scavenger Hunt Setup
Start by adding these colorful Halloween Scavenger Hunt bag covers to a total of five lunch bags. I used white lunch bags, but the traditional brown ones will totally work with the fall-theme as well! You can print the bag covers onto cardstock and adhere them to the front of the bag, or you could print the design directly onto the lunch bags. Woot woot! Super simple!
Halloween Scavenger Hunt Activities
Next, fill each bag with one of the five included activities. You will want to include any of the printables and/or supplies needed for that game. These are the activities that the family will complete before moving on to our next clue.
This particular Halloween Scavenger Hunt includes five fun activities. The activities (and supplies needed to place in the bag) include:
- Spooky Charades – Try to get your family members to guess the Halloween item on the card without using words or sounds!
- Printables: Charade cards
- No additional items needed
- Halloween Costume Creations – Create a unique costume using unusual materials.
- Printables: Activity Description Card
- Additional items needed: unique costume supplies such as newspaper, crepe paper, or toilet paper.
- Skeleton Scattergories – Test your Halloween vocabulary with a Halloween twist on the game of Scattergories.
- Printables: Category Card
- Additional item needed: pen/pencil
- Spider Races – Using straws (or your mouth) race mini spiders through an obstacle course.
- Printables: Instruction Card
- Spider Tokens (included)
- Optional additional item: straws
- Dr. Frankenstein’s Evil Twister Game – Maintain unique positions determined by silly card combinations.
- Printables: Twister Connection Cards
- No additional items needed
Halloween Scavenger Hunt Clues
Finally, add clues to the bottom of each bag. Take the five location clue cards and add one to the bottom of each bag. The only clue that will not be placed on a bag is the first note that explains the game and offers the first clue. It starts with:
It’s Halloween time and fall is in the air,
With pumpkins, scarecrows, and tricks – if you dare!
This Halloween hunt includes clue after clue,
But before you move on – a task you must do! …
The clues are all written to send your family to places you would find in a typical home including:
- The Dinner Table
- A Computer
- A Towel/Linen Closet
- The Doorstep
- The Fireplace
- A Cupboard
Let the Halloween Scavenger Hunt Begin!
Place all of the clue bags in the various locations around the home as indicated by the clues. With the exception of the first clue, which explains the game, the order of the following clues does not matter.
To finish it all off, place a special Halloween gift or treat at the very last location of your hunt. You can use our printable gift tag to attach to the final prize. For Halloween, a fun bag for trick or treating, their Halloween costume or traditional Halloween treats would work perfectly!
When your family is ready to play, give them the first clue. When they find the clue bag – have them open the clue bag to reveal the activity. After completing the challenge, they can then peak at the bottom of the bag to read their next clue.
Happy Haunting . . . I mean Hunting!