Good Family Movies For Everyone
Family movie night is a great tradition! Pull out the blankets, pop some popcorn, and settle in for an evening of entertainment and fun! With so many movie options out there, it can be hard to know which films are appropriate for families — especially those with small children. That’s why we’ve collected 101 good family movies that everyone will love! With suggestions from our readers, ideas from the Diva team, and a little research, we have put together a collection of good family movies that you can use for your next family movie night!
Keep your family night simple or, if you want, you can take your family movie night to the next level! Once you have picked a movie, grab these printables, and get ready for a night of relaxing fun with the whole family.
Must-See Funny Family Movies
Sometimes after a long week, your family just needs something lighthearted! These funny family movies are tried and true when it comes to getting your laugh on! From classic films to more modern movies, there are a large variety of giggles on this list of good family comedies!
2. The Sandlot – Set in the summer of 1962, a new kid in town is taken under the wing of a young baseball prodigy and his team in this coming-of-age movie. Together they get themselves into many adventures, involving rival teams, lifeguards, and a vicious dog. CREDIT
10. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day – Alexander’s day begins with gum stuck in his hair, followed by more calamities. However, he finds little sympathy from his family and begins to wonder if bad things only happen to him, his mom, dad, brother, and sister – who all find themselves living through their own terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. CREDIT
11. A Cinderella Story – Routinely exploited by her wicked stepmother, the downtrodden Sam Montgomery is excited about the prospect of meeting her Internet beau at the school’s Halloween dance. CREDIT
13. Princess Diaries Series – Mia Thermopolis has just found out that she is the heir apparent to the throne of Genovia. With her friends Lilly and Michael Moscovitz in tow, she tries to navigate through the rest of her 16th year. CREDIT
14. Parent Trap – Identical twins, separated at birth and each raised by one of their biological parents, discover each other for the first time at summer camp and make a plan to bring their wayward parents back together. CREDIT
18. The Big Green – An underdog soccer team of misfit kids learns to play a new sport and become champions with the able assistance of a foreign exchange teacher and a former local sports hero as coaches. CREDIT
25. Charlotte’s Web – Wilbur the pig is scared of the end of the season because he knows that he will end up on the dinner table. He hatches a plan with Charlotte, a spider that lives in his pen, to ensure that this will never happen. CREDIT
Family Adventure Movies
Everyone loves a good underdog, a hero, and a battle! These good family movies below are full of adventure and intrigue. The hardest part might be choosing just one!
30. Back to the Future – Some movies will never grow old! Back to the Future is a classic film that is still popular today! A young man is accidentally sent thirty years into the past in a time-traveling DeLorean invented by his friend, Dr. Emmett Brown. CREDIT
31. Night at the Museum – A newly recruited night security guard at the Museum of Natural History discovers that an ancient curse causes the animals and exhibits on display to come to life and wreak havoc. CREDIT
32. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids – The scientist father of a teenage girl and boy accidentally shrinks his and two other neighborhood teens to the size of insects. Now the teens must fight diminutive dangers as the father searches for them. CREDIT
50. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang – A down-on-his-luck inventor turns a broken-down Grand Prix car into a fancy vehicle for his children, and then they go off on a magical fantasy adventure to save their grandfather in a far-off land. CREDIT
Family-Friendly Animated Films
Animated films are typically aimed at a child audience, so they are naturally more kid-friendly. There are hundreds of cartoon films to choose from, but these are our FAVORITE animated movies for families!
51. The Book of Life – Manolo, a young man who is torn between fulfilling the expectations of his family and following his heart, embarks on an adventure that spans three fantastic worlds where he must face his greatest fears. CREDIT
55. The Lorax – A 12-year-old boy searches for the one thing that will enable him to win the affection of the girl of his dreams. To find it, he must discover the story of the Lorax, the grumpy yet charming creature who fights to protect his world. CREDIT
57. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs – A local scientist is often regarded as a failure until he invents a machine that can make food fall from the sky — but little does he know that things are about to take a turn for the worse. CREDIT
59. Over the Hedge – A scheming raccoon fools a mismatched family of forest creatures into helping him repay a debt of food by invading the new suburban sprawl that popped up while they were hibernating — and in the process, learns a lesson about family. CREDIT
60. Anastasia – The last surviving child of the Russian royal family joins two con men who promise to reunite her with her grandmother, the Dowager Empress, while the undead Rasputin seeks her death. CREDIT
61. Peanuts Movie – Snoopy embarks upon his greatest mission as he and his team take to the skies to pursue their arch-nemesis while his best pal Charlie Brown begins his own epic quest back home to win the love of his life. CREDIT
64. How to Train Your Dragon – A hapless young Viking who aspires to hunt dragons becomes the unlikely friend of a young dragon himself and learns there may be more to the creatures than he assumed. CREDIT
68. Hotel Transylvania – Dracula, who operates a high-end resort away from the human world, goes into overprotective mode when a boy discovers the resort and falls for the count’s teenage daughter. CREDIT
70. Madagascar – Spoiled by their upbringing with no idea what wildlife is really like, four animals from New York Central Zoo escape, unwittingly assisted by four absconding penguins, and find themselves in Madagascar, among a bunch of merry lemurs. CREDIT
71. Lego Movie – An ordinary Lego construction worker, thought to be the prophesied “Special,” is recruited to join a quest to stop an evil tyrant from gluing the Lego universe into eternal stasis. CREDIT
75. Disney/Pixar Animated Films – Our family-friendly list could have included 101 Disney and Pixar films alone! Disney does an excellent job of creating films the whole family can enjoy. As we asked our readers for their favorites, these were the most listed as favorites for family movie night: Cars, Finding Nemo, Inside Out, Monsters University, Ratatouille, Tangled, The Incredibles, and Up.
Family-Friendly Fantasy Films
Who doesn’t love letting their imagination run wild? Both kids and adults can appreciate a film that takes you to another world. These films are great choices for an adventure to a far off place!
76. Alice in Wonderland – 19-year-old Alice returns to the magical world from her childhood adventure, where she reunites with her old friends and learns of her true destiny: to end the Red Queen’s reign of terror. CREDIT
77. Tomorrowland – Bound by a shared destiny, a teen bursting with scientific curiosity and a former boy-genius inventor embark on a mission to unearth the secrets of a place somewhere in time and space that exists in their collective memory. CREDIT
78. The Last Airbender – Follow the adventures of Aang, a young successor to a long line of Avatars, who must master all four elements and stop the Fire Nation from enslaving the Water Tribes and the Earth Kingdom. CREDIT
80. Star Wars – Luke Skywalker joins forces with a Jedi Knight, a cocky pilot, a Wookiee, and two droids to save the galaxy from the Empire’s world-destroying battle station while also attempting to rescue Princess Leia from the evil Darth Vader. CREDIT BONUS! We have a Star Wars Movie Date Night with activities and printables that could totally work for a family movie night! Make sure to check it out!
84. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe – Four kids travel through a wardrobe to the land of Narnia and learn of their destiny to free it with the guidance of a mystical lion. CREDIT
Films Even The Adults Will Love
Even adults who are “kids at heart” can admit that family-friendly films can sometimes be daunting to watch (especially when your two-year-old requests to watch it over and over . . . ) Here is a list of good family movies that kids AND adults will love no matter their age!
91. Cinderella – When her father unexpectedly passes away, young Ella finds herself at the mercy of her cruel stepmother and her scheming stepsisters. Never one to give up hope, Ella’s fortune begins to change after meeting a dashing stranger. CREDIT
93. The Secret Garden – After losing her self-indulging parents in an earthquake, a bitter young girl named Mary Lennox is sent to live in England with her reclusive uncle. Eventually, she discovers her bedridden cousin and a “secret garden” that once belonged to her deceased aunt. With the help of her cousin, the kindly Dickon, and a little “magic,” can Mary find a way to bring love back to her family? CREDIT
96. Courageous – When a tragedy strikes close to home, four police officers struggle with their faith and their roles as husbands and fathers — and together they make a decision that will change their lives. CREDIT BONUS! We have an activity that goes perfectly with this movie! We have printables for you to Create Your Own Marriage Resolution just like in the movie!
97. Fireproof – In an attempt to save his marriage, a firefighter uses a 40-day experiment known as “The Love Dare.” CREDIT BONUS! We have a planned-for-you date night that goes with this movie! Check it out: Fireproof Your Marriage.
100. Studio C – Not exactly a movie, but this is a TV series the whole family can enjoy! A fresh, live comedy sketch series that explores the funny side of everyday life.
101. Pixar Shorts – A collection of short films played before Disney Pixar films. Although short and sweet, you can now watch all these small films in one place!
NOTE: Remember that these films are a collection of suggestions and research. Ultimately, however, it is up to you to determine which movies you feel comfortable watching with your family.
If you are looking for more details on the content of any film you want to watch as a family, a great resource is the Internet Movie Database website (a.k.a. IMDB). Within this site, you can search for any particular film and select “Parents Guide” to view content advisory. Most films list, in detail, content issues regarding language, violence/gore, profanity, sex & nudity, alcohol/drugs/smoking, and even frightening/intense scenes!
Another great resource is VidAngel. This is an amazing site that allows you to stream a wide variety of movies from your other subscription services (including Netflix, HBO Amazon, Amazon Prime, and Movies anywhere) all while having complete control in filtering content from the film. With a click of a few buttons, you have access to hundreds of films and the option of choosing filters for nudity, violence, language, and more!
So who is ready for a great family movie night? Since you now have a list of several movies to watch, why not make it a tradition?
And if you are looking for some movies for date night, we have 40+ Creative Movie Date Nights prepped for you and your spouse to enjoy!
With so many good family movies you can’t go wrong! We have even more great ideas for you to check out: