July 20, 2013
65 Ways to Say “I’m Sorry”
I don’t know about you but my marriage isn’t perfect all of the time. Issues come up and luckily we talk them through. But there are certainly times when one of us sticks our foot in our mouth. My amazing hubby recognizes when he is in the wrong and quickly says I’m sorry. I’m a tad more prideful and I take a little longer to say I’m in the wrong. Breaking the ice isn’t my strong point! I’ve got a few flaws and I’m not the only one who likes to think they’re right all the time! Today I’m sharing a BUNCH of “I’m Sorry” ideas that are sure-fire ways to help all of us!!!
There is a quote I love that breaks down the steps on how to say I’m sorry and apologize to your spouse perfectly…
“I’m sorry” is a statement. “I won’t do it again” is a promise. “How do I make it up to you?” is a responsibility.”
These are steps to certainly follow when you are saying sorry and asking forgiveness. Be sure to follow each step, don’t you dare skip a part, add in a peace offering, forgiveness, and love to fix any sticky situation.
This collection of “I’m Sorry” ideas is sure to help you with the peace offering portion of saying I’m sorry. Are you ready to break the ice? Get those pens out and take note of your favorite ideas, I’m taking notes right along with you!
1. Making up is easy to do when you attach an adorable printable on a board game. Check out our Sorry Game On for the printable!
2. Create an I’m Sorry phrase with scrabble pieces, leave on the counter with a flower or yummy treat.
3. Secretly make the steamy Game of Love to help ease the tension and break the ice. Fold back the sheets just a tiny bit so a bit of the game is visible, just enough to get their attention and tease them a little. Leave a big note on top of your honey’s pillow that says “I’m sorry, let’s make-up!!!!
4. Make an old fashioned morse code into a REmorse code sorry note. Use an old ticket stub or find antique looking paper, cut it to resemble the size of a telegram. At the top of your note write “I’m sending you a remorse code” below that use dot’s, dashes, coma’s, and backslashes for the middle message, reprsenting your remorse code. The last line is for your ‘I’m sorry’ message.
5. Create a secret code message for your spouse to figure out. Write down the alphabet A-Z & assign a symbol to each letter. For example: A = @, B = $, and so on. THEN – write an apology note to your spouse using the symbols, give him/her the key to the secret message & have them decode the message.
6. Grab a kiddie book like Martha Doesn’t Say Sorry! by Samantha Berger. Change the name from MARTHA to your own, write an inscription inside the book letting your sweetheart KNOW how much you love them & that you are sorry for being so stubborn & admit that you messed up.
7. Say “I’m sorry” by creating your own Personalized Apology Love Book that lists all the reasons why you love them.
8. Present The Five Languages of Apology: How to Experience Healing in All Your Relationships book to your sweetie. Write an inscription explaining how sorry you are on the first page, close the note promising to improve and work on your behavior, and invite your honey to read it with you.
9. Become Shakespeare. Find a book of apology poems such as “This is Just to Say: Poems of Apology and Forgiveness” and insert a poem of your own apologizing for your mistake.
10. Use a Secret Message Writing Set to write an ‘I’m sorry’ note with magic markers. Leave the pen for your sweetheart to find the message.
11. Leave your spouse this adorable Reservation At The Heartbreak Hotel love note the next time you need to apologize for a mistake.
12. Purchase an Apology Pad and use it to explain your behavor. Sign and date the time of the incident. Along with your mistake and then mark off all the reasons you behaved porely. A fun way to express that you were in the wrong!
13. Write a letter to your spouse with words of thanks and sorry’s. The first sentence will be a ‘thank you’ sentence, the second an ‘I’m sorry’ sentence, the third a ‘thank you’, and so on. For example, ” Thank you for being my everyday real hero. I’m sorry for always wanting to be right. Thank you for constantly making me proud to be your spouse. I apologize for being so set in my ways.” Continue going between thank you’s and sorry’s until you’ve said I’m sorry completely.
14. An “I’m sorry” message in a bottle is a quaint and simple guesture to say “I’m sorry.”
15. Create an apology ticket. Fill out the name of the offender and the recipient, a “statement” of what you’ve done wrong, sign, date, and give a report number, create an “excuse” box with reasons why you’re sorry, an “I feel” box with reasons you feel bad, a “please forgive me” box with reasons why you’re asking for forgiveness, and a section for “notes”. Hand over your Official Apology and say, “Sorry.”
16. Write down all the reasons you love your honey on sticky notes. Stick them anywhere and everywhere you can think of. On one of the notes write I’m sorry, let’s make love not war. Take a peek at Quick Gift For Him: List His Best Qualities for an easy idea to get you started on your notes.
17. Write I’m sorry all over white wrapping paper. Wrap up a gift and present to your sweetie.
18. Create a I’m Sorry candy gram to give to your babe. Use candy to express your apology. Ideas such as, “I’m such an airhead, I’m sorry for making 100 (1oo grand) mistakes.” Try to pick out some of their favorite candy when making your gram. For a few more ideas take a peek at Candy Heart Message and The Valentine Date for a little help with your candy gram.
19. Fellas this one is for you…Attach this little note to a ring pop, “They say the best way to make up with a girl is to buy them a RING, I hope they’re right!”
20. Buy a package of gummy bears. Present with this note, “I’m sorry I’m being such a BEAR during this rough patch, I don’t mean to be so gruff with you. Please forgive me and I’ll try harder to be your care BEAR!”
21. Give a Snickers bar with this note, “Sorry for what I said when I was HUNGRY!!!” If you don’t get this, you have to watch this Snickers Commercial for a good laugh and an ah-ha moment.
22. Wrap a Symphony candy bar with scrapbook paper. On one half of the paper write, “You deserve this chocolate bar because…” On the other half write down a checklist of reasons why you are sorry, such as “I messed up”, “I’m sorry”, “I promise to try harder”, or “I want to get out of the dog house”. For more candy bar and free printable ideas take a peek at Candy Bar Love Notes.
23. Attach this note to a package of M&M’s, “I MUST say I’ve MESSED up a lot! Enjoy a little bit of chocolate, it makes everything better. I love you!”
24. Make a Sincere Apology to your spouse by giving them some jerky with a printable that says, “I’m sorry I’ve been such a JERK”.
25. Package some Hershey Kisses in a clear bag and attach this cute note, “Can I KISS it better?”
26. Write a note that says “I’m sorry I drove you NUTS” and place on a package of your sweetie’s favorite kind of nuts.
27. Make your spouse’s favorite baked goods and place them in a lunch bag. On the outside of the bag write, “I’m sorry you were right. l “DOUGH” I make a ton of mistakes, please accept my yummy apologies” attached to the bag.
28. Buy your darlings favorite donut and present with a note that says, “I DONUT know what got into me, please forgive me!”
29. Buy or make your sweetheart’s favorite cake & write your apology note on the top with icing.
30. Order their favorite Chinese takeout and see if you can fit a “forgiveness is wise” or “I’m sorry, please forgive me” type note on slips of paper into their fortune cookie. Or create your own fortune cookies out of scrapbook paper and place strips of ‘I’m sorry’ and ‘I love’ you messages inside each one.
31. Attach a note to your honey’s favorite ice cream saying, “I finally COOLED off and I’m ready to apologize because…. (fill in the blank).”
32. Send an eCreamery I’m Sorry Gift . Each pint of gourmet ice cream is named with a different I’m sorry title. Or create your own by using some of these creative labels, I fudged up, Sweet Surrender, or Forgiveness Cream.
33. Make a snow cone or grab a slushy and give your treat with this note, “I’m sorry, let’s break the ICE!”
34. Surprise your sweetie with a secret ‘I’m sorry’ message on a banana. Take a peek at the Banana Love Note post for instructions on how to make these banana notes.
35. Another banana idea: grab a banana and make a banana split, attach a note that says, “Sorry I SLIPPED up!” on their spoon.
36. Pick up your sweetie’s favorite box of cereal and tape this note on the front of the box, “I’m sooo CEREALOUSLY sorry!!!”
37. Make an ‘I love you, I’m sorry breakfast’. Use a sausage for the I, a heart shaped cookie cuter to make a heart shaped egg, and a cookie cutter shaped U for a pancake or cut a toasted bread into a U shape. Place breakfast on a plate with a sticky I’m sorry note attatched. Other great I love you breakfast ideas are I Love You With My Whole Heart Cereal and A Hearty Breakfast.
38. Prepare a romantic crab dinner or a giftcard to Joe’s Crab Shack with a note on your sweetie’s plate that says “I’m sorry I’ve been CRABBY, let’s make up!
39. Grab a bottle of sparkling cider, soda, or bubbles and attach a note that say’s “There’s nothing a little BUBBLY won’t cure.”
40. “Can we just ERASE it and start over?” Write this note on a chalkboard and leave an eraser hanging over the chalkboard.
41. Search for an ‘I’m sorry’ printable and find the one that explains your feelings perfectly. Print, frame, and write “I’m sorry” with a dry erase marker on the glass.
42. Attach a note on your spouse’s favorite socks saying, “I am sorry for my mistake but if you give me another chance I am going to knock your SOCKS off.”
43. Pick up a new pair of flip flops and place this note on them, “I FLOPped things up, I’m sorry for letting you down. Please forgive me and I promise to do my best to make things FLIP instead of flop.”
44. Make a T-Shirt with the words, “I’m Sorry!” written on it – you can use markers or paint. Wear it underneath another shirt and when your spouse comes in, strip off the top shirt to “reveal” your secret message.
45. Purchase I’m Sorry pillowcases by BoldLoft. When you can’t get up the nerve to say I’m sorry place these on your pillows and let BoldLoft help you say I’m sorry and I love you! Use fabric markers to write an “I love you” message on the back of the pillowcases.
46. Grab a roll of toilet paper and write this note on it, “Sorry I made your day CRAPPY!” Make this roll extra special by unrolling the roll and writing little love notes on a good portion of the roll.
47. Buy your honey’s favorite bandaid brand and tape this note to the box, “I apologize for HURTING you, how can I make it better?”
48. Did you forget a big date? If so, pick out a delicious smelling candle and place this note with it, “Sorry I forgot your birthday/our anniversary. Light this candle, blow it out, and make an extra wish. Today I’ll make your WISH come true!”
49. Write this note “Let’s CLEAR THE AIR, I’m sorry I let you down,” and attach it to a yummy smelling candle, febreeze, or perfume.
50. Glue buttons on a card with this note attached,”Sorry I pushed your BUTTONS.” or attach note to a button flower, button up shirt, or bag of buttons.
51. Etch I’m sorry on a wine glass and give with the poem below inside. Present the gift while you are holding a drink and be the first to use it….
You are probably wondering why you would receive just one glass as a gift, but this is a very special type of glass. It is called the FORGIVENESS GLASS. May this be the least used gift you get.
It has just one use. As in any marriage, small arguments, disagreements, and even large scale fighting occurs. With these also comes tears, harsh words, walls of silence, etc., and happiness is gone. When you two are angry with each other, one of you should get this glass, fill it with any liquid, from water to sparkling cider, bring it to the other, and the two of you share forgiveness. It does not matter who was right or wrong, do not count those times. Instead, count the blessings you two are sharing as husband and wife…….Be the first one to fill it up and say I’m sorry.”
52. Set up the scene: have a makeshift mic, speakers, and ‘I’m sorry’ song on cue. When your sweetheart walks into the room, switch on the song and start lypsicing until they can’t take it anymore! Song ideas: Brenda Lee-I’m Sorry, Elton John-Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word, Lee Brice-Hard to Love, Chicago-Hard to Say I’m Sorry ,Bryan Adams-Please Forgive Me , or Justin Bieber- As long As You Love Me (Fast forward it to 3:35 minutes and rap to Big Sean)
53. Send an ‘I’m Sorry’ song to your honey’s email with a note about why you are sorry. See number #52 for a list of possible songs.
54. Look up and link to a youtube video that says “I’m Sorry” or “Please forgive me” for you to play/send to their spouse.
55. Remember the movie “Say Anything?” There is a section in this movie where the main character serenades the girl he loves with a song playing on a boom box. Recreate this scene for your darling. Grab a boombox (this might be difficult to find, if you cant find one draw one or use an Ipod with speakers), hold it over your head while standing outside your house. Play an ‘I’m sorry’ song to seranade your honey to. Continue blaring the music until they come out and listen to the song with you. Peek at #52 for song ideas.
56. Write a cute apology note, tie it to your cat/dog’s collar & send them into the room towards your sweetie. If you have a disobedient pet, take a photo and send it to them instead.
57. Present an adorable stuffed animal with a free printable that will win your spot right out of The Doghouse.
58. Take a photo of yourself with a pouty face, a kiss face, or a shouting face attach a note that says, “I’m sorry, please give me another SHOT?”
59. Make a Banner that reads, “I’m Sorry.” Get on your knees, clasp your hands together underneath the giant banner. It might be corny but unforgettable!
60. Present a flower or bacon bouquet for your loved one with an ‘I’m sorry’ note attached.
61. Before blowing up balloons write messages on strips of paper explaining how bad you feel for the mistake you’ve made. Insert these message strips into balloons. Blow them up and write ‘I’m sorry’ on each balloon. ‘I’m sorry’ attack the room, or place them in the vehicle, or send them to their work. Another cute idea is to Raindrop Love your room for them to discover.
62. “Sorry I put my FOOT in my mouth”-give with coupon for a pedicure by you.
63. Before your spouse returns home, cut out different colors of paper hearts. Create a heart trail beginning at the front door. Snake the trail throughout the house, into different rooms, and ending in the bedroom. Pick different areas of the trail to place apology notes. At the end of the trail stand waiting for them with two glasses of your favorite bubbly drink, a peace offering gift, and apologize again in person.
64. Show your darling you appreciate and love them with a day that’s filled with their favorite things. Boys and Girls Night Out is a creative date that will give you a few activity ideas to make your spouse happy.
65. Collect a few of your spouse’s favorite things and place them in a basket. Attach a note that says “You are my FAVORITE thing and I appreciate you. Please forgive me for (blank).” Check out this post for a free printable to help you figure out your spouse’s favorites-A Few Of Our Favorite Things.
Did you find a favorite or two “I’m Sorry” ideas? I know I’m saving a few favorites for all the future moments that I will need to apologize, you should save a few when you need to apologize to your spouse, too! Pair these ideas with a few helpful tips from Angie’s post, “How To Say I’m Sorry.” Before you know it, the two of you will be making love not war! You know what they say, making up is the best, so go get making up!!!
11 Responses to “65 Ways to Say “I’m Sorry” ”
Leave A Comment
OOoooohhh!! We LOVE comments! Thanks for leavin' us some "love"! P.S. If you want a pic to show up next to your comments, go get a gravatar!